Sequestration?

Discuss news and reunions from the Mercenary Missileer News pages.

Sequestration?

Postby SAC Killer on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:26 pm

Any news (obviously, UNCLAS and okay for public dissemination) about how sequestration, if it happens, will affect the missile wings? I hope they get a bye as they have in the past when Congress and the Administration got into a funding tizzy.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Re: Sequestration?

Postby notlaw99 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:48 am

Well the Air Force does have money as there was 6.9 billion dollar contract for continuance of an F-22 modifications contract:
http://www.defense.gov/utility/printite ... actid=4982
The question is will any money be spent on the Minuteman program. I am just glad that React LCCs don’t use 327 and 387 light bulbs in their indicator lamps when I was pulling alerts in the 490 SMS at Malmstrom AFB 1970 – 1974 there was a shortage of the bulbs in the supply system crews doing out of squadron alerts were instructed to remove a 327 or 387 bulb of any indicator lamp that contained two bulbs and bring them back to the 490th office at the end of their alert [little used indicators like Missile Away & Warhead Alarm were fair game to steal everything from if you had dead bulb to replace it with.] most of the bulb theft went on during mid shift and would not be discovered until after change over with day shift when day shift ran their inspection check list. Can you imagination the operations branch officer being tasked with sorting pilot light bulbs with a VOM meter and putting them into little plastic bags to go out the LCCs at pre-pre-departure to go out with the crews.
Day shift job pulling a foreign squadron alert was to find the flight commanders bulb stash. There were some great locations: on top of equipment racks behind cable feeds, inside the radio set group, on top of the acoustical enclosure, under the acoustical enclosure way up front on a flange and around the electrical surge assessor cables.

490 SMS June 1970 - June 1974
HQ SAC Command Control War Plans Computer Division - System Supervisors [We were the analyst of the SACCS]
DOD Contractor DRC Database Designer F-15 & F-16 Consolidated Data System and designed the F-117 initial database
notlaw99
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby SAC Killer on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:30 pm

I remember that bulb shortage! It was bizarre! Sometimes we would pull bulbs from one indicator to get one working bulb in another (they all used two).

Another shortage during that time, when I was an instructor: We used 80 column punch cards with MCCM names on them to record required training. Whenever training was required, we'd get a batch of cards, one for each MCCM. And when said MCCM got training, we'd write the date on the cards so the training could get recorded in a database. And the wing ran out of cards! So for a month or two, we had to record training in other ways, and then transcribe it by hand onto the cards when they finally arrived so the training could get into the database. There was great fear of the IG finding a discrepancy as a result, but I don't think that happened. Don't ask me about the database; I never knew what it was. I just wrote on those cards.

The last time I personally saw 80 column punch cards used for real was in 1994. A defense contractor which shall remain nameless (not my company; I was a subcontractor in their plant) used them for employees to record time charges and to track classified document inventory and document checkout and checkin.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby Capt. Bill on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:22 pm

Anyone in missiles been affected?
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SAC Killer on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:59 pm

I sure hope not.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby keskiyo on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:53 pm

Not directly, no. Other than having to deal with minor annoyances like the education office only being open half the day.
keskiyo
3 RVs
3 RVs

Return to News and Reunions