Drones targeting US Citizens

Discuss news and reunions from the Mercenary Missileer News pages.

Drones targeting US Citizens

Postby SAC Killer on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:03 pm

Heard on the news this morning that the media have gotten their hands on a draft memo from the Department of Justice. The memo makes a case that it is legal to kill US citizens under certain circumstances, without giving them "due process." You can read the memo here:
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/secti ... _Paper.pdf

A lot of people are challenging the constitutionality of this, particularly the concept that the Government need not have clear evidence of a specific attack to blast a US citizen to smithereens with a drone (and in fact they've done so at least once). Critics are also challenging the memo's assertion that "...under the circumstances described in this paper, there exists no appropriate judicial forum to evaluate these constitutional considerations." Hmm, it seems to me there's at least one court which can, and in fact the memo is already being challenged in court.

When I heard this and then read the memo, what sprang to mind is what the people who operate the drones might be facing. It is illegal to follow an illegal order. It seems to me that receiving orders to do this under such murky constitutionality puts them in a very difficult position. It's quite possible they would be guilty of a war crime if they made such an attack. I'm very glad I don't have to face the choice of whether or not to obey such an order.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Re: Drones targeting US Citizens

Postby PASMAN II on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:36 pm

I don't see a big deal with the enforcement of this memo as long as the American citizen (drone target) is actively killing people. Many "American citizens" who have/are killing people in the US have been deprived of a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo when they are targeted and killed by the police. Haven't American citizens been killed by police after expressing their "intent" to harm/kill someone? I think so. No court. No rights. No jail. Just dead.
Bob

Vandenberg - Deuce 68 - 1983
321 SMW - 446 SMS - 1983-1987
Flight Commander A-0
ACP Qualified 1985
SELM 85-4 (Primary)
258 Nuclear Alerts
PASMAN II
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby SAC Killer on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:16 pm

If the US citizens were actively participating in combat ops I would agree with you. But this policy goes far beyond that to authorize killing US citizens who are possibly planning an operation far away and with no combat occurring, as authorized by an unspecified "informed senior official," if said "official" determines it would be too hard to capture the citizen. As written it basically authorizes said "official" to direct assassinating any US citizen outside CONUS, without due process or judicial review. To my mind, that's unconstitutional.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby orbitman on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:03 pm

There is precious little that I think is right about the B. Obama/E. Holder positions on just about everything. But I do agree with Obama's (current) position on the use of drones. It is not winning, for the U.S., the hearts and minds of the Jihadists or others in the Arab nations, but then again, nothing ever does, it seems.
66th SMS - '66-'68
4th ACCS - '69-'71 +
4315th CCTS - '72- 74
orbitman

Return to News and Reunions