First all-women nuclear alert in Minuteman Squadron

Discuss news and reunions from the Mercenary Missileer News pages.

Re: First all-women nuclear alert in Minuteman Squadron

Postby notlaw99 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:13 pm

I used to for joke about the manning document for Minuteman Missile Squadrons.
One Squadron Commander
Three Operations Branch Officers
Five Flight Commanders
Enough officers to provide Combat Crews for the five flights
Enough NCOs to provide Facility Managers for the five flights
One NCO Admin First Sergeant
One Civilian Secretary
One Airman Second Class Admin Clerk
The Airman Second Class is one of the most over supervised people in the Air Force.
And of course you can’t let him pull any details because his time is too valuable.
Any time you have base facility inspection coming up every officer from major down in the squadron who is not on alert, CCRR, involved in training, scheduled for AFIT or on leave is in jeans and t-shirts running lawnmowers, string trimmers or painting or cleaning in the squadron offices.
490 SMS June 1970 - June 1974
HQ SAC Command Control War Plans Computer Division - System Supervisors [We were the analyst of the SACCS]
DOD Contractor DRC Database Designer F-15 & F-16 Consolidated Data System and designed the F-117 initial database
User avatar
notlaw99
3 RVs
3 RVs
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Northfield, NH 03276-1558

Re: First all-women nuclear alert in Minuteman Squadron

Postby keskiyo on Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:31 am

notlaw99 wrote:I used to for joke about the manning document for Minuteman Missile Squadrons.
One Squadron Commander
Three Operations Branch Officers
Five Flight Commanders


One Ring to rule them all, one Ring... er, no.
keskiyo
3 RVs
3 RVs
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:18 pm

Re: First all-women nuclear alert in Minuteman Squadron

Postby PASMAN II on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:56 pm

Missile squadron manning during my crew time:

One Squadron Commander (LT COL)
One Operations Officer (MAJOR-LT COL)
Two Assistant Operations Officers (CAPT-MAJOR)
Five Flight Commanders (CAPT-MAJOR)
Fifty Combat Crew Officers (Five Combat Crews for each Flight) (2ND LT-MAJOR)
One Senior NCO Facility Manager Superintendent (MSGT-SMSGT)
Twenty NCO Facility Managers (Four for each Flight) (SSGT-MSGT)
One NCO Admin (SSGT-TSGT)
One Airman Admin Clerk (A1C)

These were the numbers in general, with some flex. For example, I can recall one flight (Charlie) having as many as 9 crews for a couple of months... and Echo having only 3 crews for a couple of months. Sometimes the Flight Commanders were one of the Five crews in the Flight, and most of the time they were a 6th crew. Also, the three missile squadrons rotated guys in and out of the shops (DOV-DOTI). I think each shop was pretty close to a squadron (in size) as well.
Bob

Vandenberg - Deuce 68 - 1983
321 SMW - 446 SMS - 1983-1987
Flight Commander A-0
ACP Qualified 1985
SELM 85-4 (Primary)
258 Nuclear Alerts
User avatar
PASMAN II
4 RVs
4 RVs
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:04 am

Re: First all-women nuclear alert in Minuteman Squadron

Postby Scruge on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:17 pm

Any time you have base facility inspection coming up every officer from major down in the squadron who is not on alert, CCRR, involved in training, scheduled for AFIT or on leave is in jeans and t-shirts running lawnmowers, string trimmers or painting or cleaning in the squadron offices.
What, no immigrant laborers?
BMFT
Crew R-058 570-05 acp
570SMS DMAFB 71-74
Scruge
3 RVs
3 RVs
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:41 am
Location: Houston

Re: First all-women nuclear alert in Minuteman Squadron

Postby MajorG1000 on Mon May 14, 2012 2:39 am

For those of you who are making fun of these women, just remember how goofy you looked when you showed up fro Pre-D, or worse, when you changed out of your Crew Blues during your alert. I know for a fact that every one of these ladies looks better than you mugs...probably smells better too!
They're doing the job, and doing a fine job of it. We handed them a legacy and they have shouldered it quite well. With two daughters of my own their age, I'm pretty darn proud of what these women have done.
Bob Groman
CDB-63 742 SMS DMCCC/MCCC 1980 - 1983
ACP Qualified 1983
91 DOTI Dual Qualified 1983 - 1984
91 SMW Staff 1985
4 ACCS/ALCS 1986
44 SMW/DCM Staff 1986-1988
321 Alerts/15 Standboard Evaluations
MajorG1000
4 RVs
4 RVs
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:38 am

Re: First all-women nuclear alert in Minuteman Squadron

Postby SAC Killer on Mon May 14, 2012 9:13 pm

notlaw99 wrote:I can remember back when I was pulling alerts at Malmstrom June 1970 - May 1974. When ever we had a Giant Fox on Base and wing staff was in the back of the class room as a group during the EWO proficiency test trying to cheat with each other like mad.

The longer you had been on crew force the worse the Bold Print exams were, as every answer choice was at one time a correct answer; it was a matter of what did they change the wording and punctuation to in this revision of the manuals.


Amen! That also happened with TO interpretations. I remember during my final standboard ride I was hit with a situation in which the ruling had switched back and forth several times over the years. And my brain locked up; I just couldn't remember the current ruling and my newbie DMCCC was no help. Finally the evaluator made a noise which I interpreted as "get on with it or buy an error for doing nothing." So I mentally flipped a coin and made the call. Lucked into getting it right and finishing my tour with an HQ.

For the life of me I don't remember the issue itself, but to this day I remember the pucker factor.

And...those gee-whiz back and forth rulings should not be rulings at all. The mere fact that Global Thermonuclear War is possible under either interpretation is proof enough of that. We always figured they came from some guy at HQ SAC who was trying for O-4 BTZ.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
User avatar
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs
 
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:11 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: First all-women nuclear alert in Minuteman Squadron

Postby hockey85 on Mon May 14, 2012 10:31 pm

SAC Killer wrote:
notlaw99 wrote:I can remember back when I was pulling alerts at Malmstrom June 1970 - May 1974. When ever we had a Giant Fox on Base and wing staff was in the back of the class room as a group during the EWO proficiency test trying to cheat with each other like mad.

The longer you had been on crew force the worse the Bold Print exams were, as every answer choice was at one time a correct answer; it was a matter of what did they change the wording and punctuation to in this revision of the manuals.


Amen! That also happened with TO interpretations. I remember during my final standboard ride I was hit with a situation in which the ruling had switched back and forth several times over the years. And my brain locked up; I just couldn't remember the current ruling and my newbie DMCCC was no help. Finally the evaluator made a noise which I interpreted as "get on with it or buy an error for doing nothing." So I mentally flipped a coin and made the call. Lucked into getting it right and finishing my tour with an HQ.

For the life of me I don't remember the issue itself, but to this day I remember the pucker factor.

And...those gee-whiz back and forth rulings should not be rulings at all. The mere fact that Global Thermonuclear War is possible under either interpretation is proof enough of that. We always figured they came from some guy at HQ SAC who was trying for O-4 BTZ.



Haha. Same stuff happens today.
PAX ORBIS PER ARMA AERIA
User avatar
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 8:56 pm

Re: First all-women nuclear alert in Minuteman Squadron

Postby SAC Killer on Tue May 15, 2012 9:49 pm

Tradition is good. I guess. :?
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
User avatar
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs
 
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:11 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: First all-women nuclear alert in Minuteman Squadron

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:33 am

Re: First all-women nuclear alert in Minuteman Squadron

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:54 am
hockey85, what is this "mission planning" of which you speak? Assuming OpSec isn't a problem. Why will it take 3 hours? Back in the dark (missile blue) ages, mission planning would be "I'm trained, I got my -1, warm clothes, my crew, and I know how to get to the LCC. I'm ready (if not rarin') to go guard the country."

Bad Sam
Amazed am I, to hear such things.
Glad am I, no longer to do such things

OK, what's happened with this mission planning thing? The old discussion petered out and got sidetracked. Any current MCCMs around to update us? Inquiring minds want to know.
Bad Sam
220 TII alerts under Arizona ('70-75)
107 (36s & 24s) MMM alerts under Missouri ('75-78)
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:07 am
Location: Oregon

Re: First all-women nuclear alert in Minuteman Squadron

Postby Odie on Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:33 am

Haven't a clue what's going on now, as I've already had a last alert and have PCSd. But I've seen it change multiple time in the last year, at least at Minot. Once, it was show up and be briefed by maintenance and security about everything going on by flight. Then separate as squadrons, go over it again, add in other factors and talk about it. Then tell your plan to mitigate risks to the squadron commander. Then leave.

My last month it turned into "Hey, here's the maintenance. Now get on alert". I'm sure it's changed again though.

To sum up the concept though (IMHO), I'd say imagine getting told everything that's going to go on for your day. Then figure out in your mind what risks are there, and say what your are going to do to mitigate that. Then tell someone that so they are happy.
182 Alerts
Odie
2 RVs
2 RVs
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 2:39 am
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: First all-women nuclear alert in Minuteman Squadron

Postby SAC Killer on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:07 pm

In the 70s we never got briefed on maintenance at pre-dep. We just rolled out to the LCC, took over the alert, and when maintenance, or anyone else showed up, we checked the dispatches to see if they were valid. And then ran the checklist. No muss, no fuss. Except during code change, SELM, IG, or 3901, of course.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
User avatar
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs
 
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:11 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: First all-women nuclear alert in Minuteman Squadron

Postby Capt. Bill on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:24 am

SAC Killer wrote:In the 70s we never got briefed on maintenance at pre-dep. We just rolled out to the LCC, took over the alert, and when maintenance, or anyone else showed up, we checked the dispatches to see if they were valid. And then ran the checklist. No muss, no fuss. Except during code change, SELM, IG, or 3901, of course.


Agree with that, just weather, who was flying and who was driving. Few announcements and maybe a test. Briefing on what maintenance was going was done at changeover.
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
User avatar
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:19 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: First all-women nuclear alert in Minuteman Squadron

Postby Odie on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:27 am

Yeah. All I really need/want is what the scheduled maintenance is for the next day.

1: So I can get everything prepared and ready to go so maintenance isn't waiting on the access.
2: To adjust my sleep schedule, especially if there's LCC maintenance pending the next day.

It was fun to get briefed on the projected maintenance for the day, thoroughly plan for it..., and then have it be done by the time I got out there.
182 Alerts
Odie
2 RVs
2 RVs
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 2:39 am
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: First all-women nuclear alert in Minuteman Squadron

Postby keskiyo on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:33 pm

The "mission planning" process has gotten moderately better since it's not a "new" program any more and we don't have weapons officers sitting in to make sure we've adequately wargamed our day, developed risk mitigation "tactics", calculated all our appropriate ORM numbers, and optimized our paradigm shifts.

On most days (assuming we don't have anything being issued to take out to the field) we can be done with pre-departure and mission planning in about 45 minutes.
keskiyo
3 RVs
3 RVs
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:18 pm

Re: First all-women nuclear alert in Minuteman Squadron

Postby Capt. Bill on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:49 pm

keskiyo wrote:On most days (assuming we don't have anything being issued to take out to the field) we can be done with pre-departure and mission planning in about 45 minutes.


Back in my days 30 minutes was a long briefing
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
User avatar
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:19 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Previous

Return to News and Reunions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron