Whiteman Oscar-01 Tour

For general discussion with your fellow Minuteman Modernized (MMM) crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly based at Malmstrom AFB, MT, Ellsworth AFB, SD, Minot AFB, ND, Whiteman AFB, MO and F. E Warren AFB, WY. On Alert from 7 May 1965 to 31 July 1995. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Whiteman Oscar-01 Tour

Postby Ironman on Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:10 pm

Well my wife and I received a personal tour of Oscar-01 on Whiteman A.F.B. yesterday. The curator /Staff Sergent that oversee's this facility and all static displays on the base gave us one of the best tours I've ever experienced. It was so laid back, giving all the official information and answering our questions. While Oscar is special because the LCSB was not the same size as the rest of the missile field MAF's it was very interesting to go below, check out the elevator shaft, operate the shaft blast door, LCSB, LCC and just be able to look, take pictures. All the while knowing that this was once one of the most secured places in America... not that it was all that easy to get on Whiteman for the tour.

I have tried to explain to my wife the "coolness factor" of the pods below and what all there was to the LCF but it all just kinda missed with her. When she got there she just lit up and it all made sense. I think she drove the poor Staff Sergent crazy with all her questions and interuptions of his guided tour. Again, he was really great and very accomidating. I wish that more museums were this interesting and interactive. The wife got to turn "the key" while I took her pic... we both said "Bye-bye Ruskies" :wink: when she did it. This was truely fun, educational and forfilling to have experienced this tour.

It would have been a tragady had these facilities closed without any being kept as museums for future generations to marvel and imagine what it may have been like to serve our country during the heat of the cold war (and today) in a tube some 50 feet down.

Thank you to those of you that served and continue to serve.
USN 87-91 Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron Three (VQ-3) & (MoANG) Air Force brat
Ironman
2 RVs
2 RVs

Re: Whiteman Oscar-01 Tour

Postby Capt. Bill on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:34 pm

It is good that we have saved a few of the sites for future generations. Our future is always determined by our history. Just wish I could be around in a hundred years to see if those missile site museums are still around. Way back in the early 1970s, pre 9/11 and all that anyone could make a visit to an operational Minuteman LCF and even go down in the LCC. I worked at Oscar at Minot and it was the closest site to base so we got a lot of visitors. While it was somewhat disruptive, I never minded giving someone's family a briefing about what we did. Where the keys went, how we monitored and so on. Most people were suprised how little the LCC really was in Minuteman. I took my parents out to Oscar one day when they visited Minot in 1971. My mom didn't like elevators and would not go down but my dad did and he was very impressed. We were lucky to have facilty manangers who were great with visitors.
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:23 pm

Ironman,
Did you see the Guest Log? Did you see that it was signed by the commander of the USSR's Strategic Rocket Forces?

Bad Sam
Bad Sam
220 TII alerts under Arizona ('70-75)
107 (36s & 24s) MMM alerts under Missouri ('75-78)
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby Ironman on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:50 am

I did not have time to review the guest log. Between taking pictures and asking questions I am surprised that we even signed the guest log. I did notice that many of the photo's on display were labeled in Russian text.
USN 87-91 Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron Three (VQ-3) & (MoANG) Air Force brat
Ironman
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby SAC Killer on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:15 pm

This thread makes me wonder if the Russians have converted a capsule and launcher into museums. And if so, which system since they had so many. Anyone know?
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby hockey85 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:30 am

SAC Killer wrote:This thread makes me wonder if the Russians have converted a capsule and launcher into museums. And if so, which system since they had so many. Anyone know?

I'm not sure about the Russians, but the Ukrainians have turned a former Soviet SS-18 Satan site into a museum. http://www.eoghan.me.uk/tips/msmt/index.html

Cory
PAX ORBIS PER ARMA AERIA
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Major T on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:35 pm

Good to know Oscar 01 is still open and being cared for. I was an MCCC at Whiteman from November 1968 to February 1974 and pulled alert at everyone of the 15 LCCs. Oscar was always special because it was right on the base but always had a bunch of visitors, maintenance training, VIPs, etc. I spent my first three years in the 508th SMS and for the last year of so was flight chief of Bravo, a nice 30 or so mile drive north of Sedalia. As a "standboard" troop I had to add ERCS qualification and that allowed alert in the 510th SMA: Foxtrot, India, Mike, November and Oscar. Only the 508th fell in alpha order; A, B, C, D and E. The legend has it that high water levels south of Whiteman, due to the Truman Reservoir, caused original plans to be revised that resulted in moving sites closer to the base and in Oscars case even on to the base. I was an non volunteer returning from Vietnam in 1868 and joined many other young Captains into forced career broadening. Turned out to be a pretty good move, out of Public Affairs, got an MBA and stayed long enough to make Major and have a tour at Vandenberg with the 4315th. Closed out over ten years in Minuteman 2 as Chief of the Modernized Section, great duty. Volunteered to go back to PA for a tour in Alaska and finished up my 20 years with a dismal gig at Wurtsmith AFB, MI at a B-52 wing. Retired to Anchorage, AK in 1984 and stuck here ever since. The missile days seem so long ago. Like most of my life; gland I did it but would NOT want to do it again.
Major T
Major T

Postby BoonieMissileer on Tue May 17, 2011 10:38 am

I was on the O-1 deact team. It may be long gone faded or possibly painted over, but the entire deactivation crews names (EMTs) are written underneath the capsule floor in the Motor-Generator well facing the additional batteries section. A few of us also wrote on top of the capsule as well when we pulled out the original SLFCS rack cabling. I cant remember what we wrote, but it was something as to names/ranks/dates. Im pretty sure that noone will be allowed to walk the wall steps to the ESA vault and slide down under to see though or climb up as well.
MMII - Whiteman EMT 92 - 95 Alert and Full Deact of WIng
MMIII - Malmstrom EMT/VECB 97-2001 - REACT Upgrade
ALCM - Barksdale 95-97, 2001 - 2010
CALCM - Barksdale, Andersen 2010 - Present
ACM - Barksdale
USAF AD
1992 - Present
BoonieMissileer

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:02 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VIV4UCB ... re=related

Short vid at Oscar-1 and in the field.
Bad Sam
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:20 am

If you would like a guided tour, I know a retired MCCC there who does enjoy giving the tour. He was the Hotel Flight Commander in my day, left for PA work. You can contact me thru the User Control Panel,
Bad Sam
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby Master Technician on Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:15 pm

I worked many dispatches to that LCF. Nice and close to my home on Barksdale back then.
351st SMW
351st OMMS EMT Branch
EMDAS System Qualified
ERCS Qualified, 510th SMS
Master Technician
3 RVs
3 RVs

Return to Minuteman Modernized