T-9 @ Malmstrom

For general discussion with your fellow Minuteman II (Deuce) crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly based at Malmstrom AFB, MT and Grand Forks AFB, ND. On Alert from 1 Feb 1965 to ****. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

T-9 @ Malmstrom

Postby banjodog on Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:30 am

Now that the 564th is out of business, what are they doing with the MNX wing-6 on-base trainer, T-9? (the other on-base trainer being ILCS, called T-41, an above-ground operation)
341 SMW '87-'94
EMT shop '91-'94 (ILCS)
banjodog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Re: T-9 @ Malmstrom

Postby Hornet on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:05 am

T-9 is Wing VI LF? I always thought it was a regular A-side hole. As far as I know, it's still being used. I mean I still see PT vans and such parked on-site when I drive by. Just to make sure, you are talking about the full size on-base training LF right?
IQT 04-03 Malmstrom REACT-A
10 MS & 341 OSS 2004-2009

"Hands on keys, turn on my mark...3...2...1...TURN."
ELC MSG TR
ELC RECIEVED
Hornet

Postby banjodog on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:53 am

Hornet wrote:T-9 is Wing VI LF? I always thought it was a regular A-side hole. As far as I know, it's still being used. I mean I still see PT vans and such parked on-site when I drive by. Just to make sure, you are talking about the full size on-base training LF right?

Yep, the one where the two main roads split. In my day, it was a wing 6 (Sylvania) site without the LEB I think. T-41, the MNX trainer for ILCS troops, was all above ground in some building near bldg 500. Maybe MMT/MHT used T-9 for their stuff, but for EMT, T-41 was it.
341 SMW '87-'94
EMT shop '91-'94 (ILCS)
banjodog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby hockey85 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:06 pm

MMT and MHT still use T-9. I regularly see PT vans and TE's on site. I'm not sure if they modified it at all since Deuce is gone or what, but it is still being used.

Cory
PAX ORBIS PER ARMA AERIA
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DeuceDeputy on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:56 pm

I took a tour of the LF trainer once and, being a Deuce guy at the time, I asked what the differences were...they said (not an exact quote, but very close), "even though this is a boeing LF, the LER and launch tube looks almost identical. The only difference is the LEB vs LSB." I was always under the impression that it was a Wing I LF but since they were so similar as far as stacking bombs, both sides used it.

Either way, it's still very much in use today. Haven't seen anything else anywhere near Bldg 500 that looks anything like an LF though...
Mission Operations Crew Commander
Washington, D.C.

REACT-B IQT Class 06-02
Final 564th Alert at T0 on 30 July 2008 #109
DEUCE FOREVER!
Missile Combat Crew Commander Instructor
341st Operations Support Squadron
LFA at A01 on 22 March 2010 #177
DeuceDeputy
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby hockey85 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:16 pm

I remember the 576th maintenance guys telling me that there was something different about the missile support ring in Sylvania LF's versus Boeing LF's. I don't recall exactly what it was.
I was in the LER's of LF-26, LF-10, and LF-04 at Vandy and they looked similar to me. I'm sure there were minor differences but I didn't notice them at the time. I do think the LEB at LF-26 was alot cooler than the LSB's at the other LF's.

Cory
PAX ORBIS PER ARMA AERIA
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SAC Killer on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:13 pm

Most of the differences between Mod and Deuce are at the LCF. The LFs are very similar for a couple of reasons. First, they support the same bird so the AGE equipment must be similar. Also, the hardness and security requirements are the same for both systems. It's quite possible the USAF didn't allow many changes to the LF design when they went to Sylvania for the last four squadrons. The launchers did evolve as the missile evolved; Wings I and II have shallower launch tubes than the later wings and for a long time people thought they were not deep enough to accommodate the LGM-28G.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby Ducky on Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:12 am

The LER's between wing 1 and wing 1x, wing 6, deuce, 564th, whatever are vastly different. The floor is mounted lower in wing 6, the layout is slightly different, very very very few pieces of equipment can cross from one to the other, and they are even wired completely different. T-9 is still being used though by MMT and MHT all the time. And we EMTers are using it to train with the new turbo b-plug system. T-41 is the wing 1 trainer, and its in a hangar on the flightline, all above ground with a PT mounted in the sky. It has a full working LER controlled by a desktop so faults can be insterted. MMT can train stacking the missile there, but there is actually only half of a missile, the whole trainer is about two stories. Oh, and there is a PT permanently mounted on top of the trainer for MMT.
341 MMXS EMT may 2007-present
Ducky
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby SAC Killer on Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:23 am

Yes, I was thinking about the launcher itself and forgot about the LERs but they do differ considerably amongst the wings. The LER at Wings I and II are soft. All others hard with differences from wing to wing.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby Ducky on Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:41 am

SAC Killer wrote:Yes, I was thinking about the launcher itself and forgot about the LERs but they do differ considerably amongst the wings. The LER at Wings I and II are soft. All others hard with differences from wing to wing.

By soft do you mean not hardened? There is no difference in hardness between any of the wings, when referring to the LERs. Wing 1 LSB and LCSB are not hardened, but the LERs are.
Ducky
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby hockey85 on Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:05 pm

SAC Killer wrote:Yes, I was thinking about the launcher itself and forgot about the LERs but they do differ considerably amongst the wings. The LER at Wings I and II are soft. All others hard with differences from wing to wing.

The LER's encircle the launcher, thus have to be hardened. The LSB for Wing I which is seperated from the launcher is not hardened, but the LEB for Deuce, which is seperated from the launcher is hardened.
PAX ORBIS PER ARMA AERIA
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SAC Killer on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:01 pm

hockey85 wrote:

The LER's encircle the launcher, thus have to be hardened. The LSB for Wing I which is seperated from the launcher is not hardened, but the LEB for Deuce, which is seperated from the launcher is hardened.

Apologies for not recalling the terminology after so many years; been decades since I was at an LF. Yes, I didn't mean the LER, rather I meant the spaces where the diesels & HVACs live. They have various names from wing to wing. My gray hairs are really impinging on the gray matter these days. But at least I still have some hair! :)
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby Ducky on Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:02 pm

SAC Killer wrote:Apologies for not recalling the terminology after so many years; been decades since I was at an LF. Yes, I didn't mean the LER, rather I meant the spaces where the diesels & HVACs live. They have various names from wing to wing. My gray hairs are really impinging on the gray matter these days. But at least I still have some hair! :)

There are field runners in my shop who cant even say that :lol:
Ducky
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Missile Monkey on Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:50 pm

I am a MMT instructor and T-9 is still the full missile trainier, I train there every week.
MMT
341 Missile Wing
341 MMXS
341 MOS
Missile Monkey

Postby Capt. Bill on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:38 am

SAC Killer wrote:Most of the differences between Mod and Deuce are at the LCF. The LFs are very similar for a couple of reasons. First, they support the same bird so the AGE equipment must be similar. Also, the hardness and security requirements are the same for both systems. It's quite possible the USAF didn't allow many changes to the LF design when they went to Sylvania for the last four squadrons. The launchers did evolve as the missile evolved; Wings I and II have shallower launch tubes than the later wings and for a long time people thought they were not deep enough to accommodate the LGM-28G.

My -1 shows that Wing III LFs were 78 feet deep and Wing V was 88 feet deep. Not sure about Wing IV. I understand FE Warren got Peacekeeper because of the 88 foot depth.
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Minuteman II (Deuce)