Thought you might want to see this: MM2 finished art

For general discussion with your fellow Minuteman II (Deuce) crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly based at Malmstrom AFB, MT and Grand Forks AFB, ND. On Alert from 1 Feb 1965 to ****. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Thought you might want to see this: MM2 finished art

Postby JohnMollison on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:30 pm

Hey -

I thought you might want to see the finished MM2 art I did for my "Rockethub" project...

Thank you to all (mostly in the "Coffeehouse") for the help. :)

Image
JohnMollison
2 RVs
2 RVs
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 2:53 am

Re: Thought you might want to see this: MM2 finished art

Postby SAC Killer on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:35 pm

Uh...moderators, please do not confuse Minuteman II missile (LGM-30F) with Minuteman II weapon system (WS-133B). Deuce always refers to the latter. The 30F bird was on alert in both Deuce and Mod.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
User avatar
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs
 
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:11 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Thought you might want to see this: MM2 finished art

Postby Capt. Bill on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:59 am

SAC Killer wrote:Uh...moderators, please do not confuse Minuteman II missile (LGM-30F) with Minuteman II weapon system (WS-133B). Deuce always refers to the latter. The 30F bird was on alert in both Deuce and Mod.


Patience, Patience. I am still sorting out the posts after breaking Minuteman II (Deuce) and Minuteman Mod into separate. Though since Deuce did use the F missile it is not totally out of place. There is overlap with control systems and missiles, e. g. Minuteman III first used the G missile with the Mod system.
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
User avatar
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:19 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Thought you might want to see this: MM2 finished art

Postby SAC Killer on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:17 pm

Capt. Bill wrote:
SAC Killer wrote:Uh...moderators, please do not confuse Minuteman II missile (LGM-30F) with Minuteman II weapon system (WS-133B). Deuce always refers to the latter. The 30F bird was on alert in both Deuce and Mod.


Patience, Patience. I am still sorting out the posts after breaking Minuteman II (Deuce) and Minuteman Mod into separate. Though since Deuce did use the F missile it is not totally out of place. There is overlap with control systems and missiles, e. g. Minuteman III first used the G missile with the Mod system.


Very true. The weapon system versus missile models is hard to explain to non-missileers. The AF Museum got it wrong. I tried to explain it to them. Don't know if what I said stuck.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
User avatar
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs
 
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:11 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Thought you might want to see this: MM2 finished art

Postby Capt. Bill on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:03 am

Many sources consider the B, F and G missiles to be Minuteman I, II, and III. Not sure what the A missile would be called though. The G missile has gone through upgrades with out changing the Minuteman III designation. Now all wings are the same with the exception of Malmstrom not having an underground LCEB.
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
User avatar
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:19 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Thought you might want to see this: MM2 finished art

Postby SAC Killer on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:45 pm

Capt. Bill wrote:Many sources consider the B, F and G missiles to be Minuteman I, II, and III. Not sure what the A missile would be called though. The G missile has gone through upgrades with out changing the Minuteman III designation. Now all wings are the same with the exception of Malmstrom not having an underground LCEB.


I think the A was also considered a MMI. It had a shorter third stage than the B. That was because the program was having development problems with the third stage so they accepted limited performance while they perfected the better stage, which became the B. I think the A was only deployed at 341. Don't know how many A actually were on alert.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
User avatar
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs
 
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:11 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Thought you might want to see this: MM2 finished art

Postby Capt. Bill on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:07 pm

Minuteman I is usually expressed as LGM-30A/B. The A model went into Malmstrom but Ellsworth started with the B model. According to Boeing the B model was 5' 9" longer than the A model. Neither the A or B model were hardened and therefore vulnerable to EMPs events. Not sure but think that Whiteman got the F missile first along with the MOD. Grand Forks probably started with the F Model.
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
User avatar
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:19 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Thought you might want to see this: MM2 finished art

Postby SAC Killer on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:23 pm

Capt. Bill wrote:Minuteman I is usually expressed as LGM-30A/B. The A model went into Malmstrom but Ellsworth started with the B model. According to Boeing the B model was 5' 9" longer than the A model. Neither the A or B model were hardened and therefore vulnerable to EMPs events. Not sure but think that Whiteman got the F missile first along with the MOD. Grand Forks probably started with the F Model.


The F was first deployed in 1966 at El Forko. In 1967 at Whiteman and Squad 20.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
User avatar
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs
 
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:11 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Thought you might want to see this: MM2 finished art

Postby Capt. Bill on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:25 pm

SAC Killer wrote:
Capt. Bill wrote:Minuteman I is usually expressed as LGM-30A/B. The A model went into Malmstrom but Ellsworth started with the B model. According to Boeing the B model was 5' 9" longer than the A model. Neither the A or B model were hardened and therefore vulnerable to EMPs events. Not sure but think that Whiteman got the F missile first along with the MOD. Grand Forks probably started with the F Model.


The F was first deployed in 1966 at El Forko. In 1967 at Whiteman and Squad 20.


Thanks wasn't sure about the sequence. Am I correct in assuming that Whiteman was the first wing to get the MOD?
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
User avatar
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:19 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Thought you might want to see this: MM2 finished art

Postby SAC Killer on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:27 pm

Capt. Bill wrote:
SAC Killer wrote:
Capt. Bill wrote:Minuteman I is usually expressed as LGM-30A/B. The A model went into Malmstrom but Ellsworth started with the B model. According to Boeing the B model was 5' 9" longer than the A model. Neither the A or B model were hardened and therefore vulnerable to EMPs events. Not sure but think that Whiteman got the F missile first along with the MOD. Grand Forks probably started with the F Model.


The F was first deployed in 1966 at El Forko. In 1967 at Whiteman and Squad 20.


Thanks wasn't sure about the sequence. Am I correct in assuming that Whiteman was the first wing to get the MOD?


Whiteman was first to Mod. In 1967. Malmstrom was next, in 1969.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
User avatar
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs
 
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:11 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Thought you might want to see this: MM2 finished art

Postby Capt. Bill on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:30 pm

Did Ellsworth ever get the MOD. I know that Minot and F. E. Warren did not get the MOD until MM III came in. Minot first then F. E. Warren. Minot never had the F missile but went straight from B to G.
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
User avatar
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:19 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Thought you might want to see this: MM2 finished art

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:12 am

Wings II and IV were MMM/SSAS when when I went thru 4315th in mid-'70, though we were in different classes.
Bad Sam
220 TII alerts under Arizona ('70-75)
107 (36s & 24s) MMM alerts under Missouri ('75-78)
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:07 am
Location: Oregon

Re: Thought you might want to see this: MM2 finished art

Postby banjodog on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:05 pm

TerrorOfTucson wrote:Wings II and IV were MMM/SSAS when when I went thru 4315th in mid-'70, though we were in different classes.


As far as I know, Wing 2 never upgraded beyond that. Wing 4 got CDB at some point.
341 SMW '87-'94
EMT shop '91-'94 (ILCS)
banjodog
3 RVs
3 RVs
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:00 am
Location: Montana

Re: Thought you might want to see this: MM2 finished art

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:47 pm

Wing IV got ILCS in '78-79, but I'm pretty sure they never got the G-bird and the full CDB. My understanding is ILCS was the one-RV version of CDB.
Bad Sam
220 TII alerts under Arizona ('70-75)
107 (36s & 24s) MMM alerts under Missouri ('75-78)
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:07 am
Location: Oregon

Re: Thought you might want to see this: MM2 finished art

Postby banjodog on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:35 am

TerrorOfTucson wrote:Wing IV got ILCS in '78-79, but I'm pretty sure they never got the G-bird and the full CDB. My understanding is ILCS was the one-RV version of CDB.


They did get it. From EMT training in '87 I remember that Malmstrom was ILCS, Ellsworth was SSAS, Whiteman, Minot & FEW were CDB. Whether any of the CDB's had the G missile, I don't know.
341 SMW '87-'94
EMT shop '91-'94 (ILCS)
banjodog
3 RVs
3 RVs
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:00 am
Location: Montana

Next

Return to Minuteman II (Deuce)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron