Minuteman II General Questions

For general discussion with your fellow Minuteman II (Deuce) crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly based at Malmstrom AFB, MT and Grand Forks AFB, ND. On Alert from 1 Feb 1965 to ****. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Minuteman II General Questions

Postby pcsd614 on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:15 pm

Greetings to all. I appreciate your group allowing a "non-Missileer" like myself to view and post here. You have my thanks! It is ironic but I owe my existence to the Minuteman II program. My garndfather, now deceased, was a GS-12 contracts administrator with the USAF in the 50's and 60's. He started in Cheyenne, Wyoming (F.E. Warren I believe) and ended up with the Atlas ICBM program at Schilling AFB in Kansas. He was subsequently reassigned to the Site Activation Task Force (SATAF) at Whiteman AFB, MO in 1963. After my grandfather moved his family here, (including my father), my dad met my mom, and the rest is history. I grew up in the Sedalia, MO. area in the 70's and 80's and as such I was always accustomed to having missiles in my back yard. I vividly recall my great-grandfather on my mother's side complaining until the day he died in 1996 about losing 20 acres to the Air Force in 1964. His farm was located very close to Echo-11 south of sedalia.

Anyway, I have recently begun a quest for knowledge about this system that involves so much of my family history. I have a few questions that I would like to ask. I understand the need for OPSEC as that is used extensively in my profession as well. My questions are as follows:

We have a lot of severe weather here in Missouri, especially during spring. How would this have affected the Minuteman II readiness? Could the missile have successfully flown through severe thunderstorms without damage? Could the Soviets have possibly taken advantage of convestive weather in an attempt to strike? Lastly, how accurate were the Soviet missiles that were targeted at our facilities?

I would appreciate any information you all can provide. Thank you for your service to our country. I am convinced that our effective nuclear deterrence prevented nuclear war from happening.

John Cline, Sedalia, MO.
pcsd614

Re: Minuteman II General Questions

Postby Flying Death Punch on Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:23 am

IMHO both of these questions are still dangerous to answer. Stay well!
Flying Death Punch

Postby shadow2100 on Thu May 31, 2012 12:32 am

I am guessing that a Minuteman missile is made of the same light aircraft metal, that a missile going through a thunderstrom would have the same effect that a 747 would going through a storm.
"The minuteman keeps the Bear and the Dragon away"
shadow2100
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Thu May 31, 2012 5:01 am

Given the localization of thunderstorms, I'd guess that if one were affected, most would not be, given the separation of sites.

Bad Sam
Whiteman '75-'80
First date with my wife-to-be was at the State Fair in Sedalia.
Bad Sam
220 TII alerts under Arizona ('70-75)
107 (36s & 24s) MMM alerts under Missouri ('75-78)
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Return to Minuteman II (Deuce)