You know you are going to be a missileer if...

Post your missile poems, songs and other musings here.

You know you are going to be a missileer if...

Postby njh621 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:41 am

I came up with the idea for this while at work, based largely off of a lot of things I do.

"You know you are going to be a missileer if"
By: Nick Halliday

You know you are going to be a missileer if:
1. You refer to the three phone lines at work as Dial Line 1, 2, and 3 respectively.

2. You have accidentally answered one of those lines as "Alternate Command Post 2, Complex 571-1".

3. You think about a USAF ICBM system in some way or another very frequently.

4. You think about #3 constantly.

5. When you hear the school fire alarm go off, you look in vein for the "CC/Silo Klaxon ON/OFF" button and the faulted zone.

6. Your definition of "cruising music" is the Missile Duty's Pleasin' album by the Groobers.

7. You have the lyrics to most if not all of the songs on Missile Duty's Pleasin' memorized word for word.

8. The only hanging clothes in your closet are crew blues, green utility shirts, and a flight jacket.

9. You've got a picture of Curtis LeMay on the wall in your AP Govt teacher's classroom.

10. You've got a picture of a Titan II launching from 395C at VAFB at the same location.

11. You've got both 9 and 10 and each have captions with your own bad sense of missile humor.

12. Your chemistry teacher worryingly questions where you managed to find a detailed schematic of a Titan II battery.

And finally...

13. Your cellphone ring tone is a PAS warble-tone, and you frequently respond "Copy coded SAC message!" when it goes off.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
Electrical Engineer ("In training")
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Re: You know you are going to be a missileer if...

Postby Crewdog on Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:31 pm

9. You've got a picture of Curtis LeMay on the wall in your AP Govt teacher's classroom.

and there is a problem with that because....??? Does it make me a bad person if he's the wallpaper on my computer?
400 SMS - FEW 78 - 82
71 TMS - Florennes 85 - 86
Crewdog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby njh621 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:31 pm

There's nothing wrong with that at all; I just figured it funny enough to go on the list. I'm guilty of having an LCC shot of a Titan II crew as my desktop background :lol:...

Both pictures are still hanging there, hopefully they'll stay there after I graduate as well.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby D Preidis on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:29 pm

In one of my college chemistry classes I diagramed the UDMH molecule and then calculated the number of joules it released when combined with N2O4.

My chemistry professor thought it was pretty cool.

When I was in training for the Deuce system at Vandenberg some of my classmates and I went to dinner at the local Roy Rogers in Lompoc. The alarm on their french fry machine was IDENTICAL to the critical alarm in the Deuce capsule and when it went of we all jumped and started looking around like we needed to respond to something.

Quite Pavlovian don't you think?
381st SMW - Titan II BMAT, Instructor Shop
321st SMW - MMII CDB (Deuce) Ops
321st SMW/321st OMMS Mechanical Branch Chief
42nd Air Division Safety
Defense Nuclear Agency - Stockpile Operations
D Preidis
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby njh621 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:20 am

D Preidis wrote:In one of my college chemistry classes I diagramed the UDMH molecule and then calculated the number of joules it released when combined with N2O4.

My chemistry professor thought it was pretty cool.

That sounds EXACTLY like something I would do :). I'm not sure if I posted it but I calculated a (simple) balanced equation for the reaction of N204 and H20, to see how many moles of water and oxidizer it would take to start producing nitric acid (HNO3). When I ran it by my chemistry teacher, she told me there would probably be another product besides the acid. From what you've told me about the 533-7 spill, it sounded like the HNO3 went gaseous/airborne (which is why the LCC had spongy floors, peeling paint, and dissolved panel wiring). What a mess for the crew; hopefully one of them had a bottle of Tylenol :lol:.

When I was in training for the Deuce system at Vandenberg some of my classmates and I went to dinner at the local Roy Rogers in Lompoc. The alarm on their french fry machine was IDENTICAL to the critical alarm in the Deuce capsule and when it went of we all jumped and started looking around like we needed to respond to something. Quite Pavlovian don't you think?

Heh, I'm sure everyone else was pretty confused. A classic Pavlovian reaction indeed.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby rocketman on Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:00 pm

njh621 wrote:I came up with the idea for this while at work, based largely off of a lot of things I do.

"You know you are going to be a missileer if"
By: Nick Halliday

You know you are going to be a missileer if:
1. You refer to the three phone lines at work as Dial Line 1, 2, and 3 respectively.

2. You have accidentally answered one of those lines as "Alternate Command Post 2, Complex 571-1".

3. You think about a USAF ICBM system in some way or another very frequently.

4. You think about #3 constantly.

5. When you hear the school fire alarm go off, you look in vein for the "CC/Silo Klaxon ON/OFF" button and the faulted zone.

6. Your definition of "cruising music" is the Missile Duty's Pleasin' album by the Groobers.

7. You have the lyrics to most if not all of the songs on Missile Duty's Pleasin' memorized word for word.

8. The only hanging clothes in your closet are crew blues, green utility shirts, and a flight jacket.

10. You've got a picture of a Titan II launching from 395C at VAFB at the same location.

11. You've got both 9 and 10 and each have captions with your own bad sense of missile humor.

12. Your chemistry teacher worryingly questions where you managed to find a detailed schematic of a Titan II battery.

And finally...

13. Your cellphone ring tone is a PAS warble-tone, and you frequently respond "Copy coded SAC message!" when it goes off.

14. When the power goes out in your house you reach out in front of you and you ask "Hows My Air"
rocketman

Postby FarDeucer on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:27 am

15. You have a REACT EAM alarm ringtone for your text messages
(and it pisses off everybody in the office to no end, hehe I'm evil :twisted: )
REACT-B IQT 05-03
564MS Jun 05 - Oct 07
B to A conversion
490MS Nov 07 - May 09
257 days under ground
341OSS/OSB
RIF Feb 2011
FarDeucer
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby spanky on Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:59 pm

16. you know what the sting, the beacon and goldrush are...
crewdog, 564sms, MAFB 85-88
spanky

Postby Capt. Bill on Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:54 am

Ok this how I knew I was going to be a missilier.

Its March 1969, two months before I was going to graduate and be commisioned.

Early morning and no classes so I am sleeping late. Phone rings in the dorm and roommate answers, wakes me up and says it is for me.

This is Sgt. Triplett at the AFROTC detachment. I got your orders

Me (Still half asleep). Uh, what

Sgt. Missle Launch officer at Minot AFB

Me (Still waking up) Uh, what's that and where's that.
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wally on Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:05 am

Going to be, or ARE? You know you've been a missileer too long when:

You can't sleep without a fan running.

Every time you pick up the phone you instinctively try to hit the "push to talk" button.

when you hear a warble tone, you reach for a pen. (Happened to me one night at home watching "A Gathering of Eagles." Wife laughed hysterically.)

You say "stand by," "say again," and "wait one" in every day conversation.

When your KIDS say "stand by," "say again," and "wait one" in every day conversation.

You drive off base to visit friends, and when you hit the gate you reach for the radio to call TCC.

You literally can't stop yourself from spelling things out in the phonetic alphabet, and it irritates you when other people DON'T.

It drives you nuts to see the word ALPHA anywhere--dang it, that's misspelled!

You can't understand why ANYONE would stop after only two hours of driving.

You insist on putting a bag with some extra food, sleeping bags and extra hats and gloves in your trunk every 1 October.

You refer to your wife as "plus one." (that one REALLY hurt.)
wally
3 RVs
3 RVs

Return to The Missile Muse