The Whiteman Scenario

Post your missile poems, songs and other musings here.

Re: The Whiteman Scenario

Postby Master Technician on Sat May 17, 2008 4:39 am

Thanks for the EAM sound Steve. Much appreciated.
Master Technician
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Whiteman72 on Mon May 19, 2008 1:38 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. Reloaded that file and all sounds seem to be functioning now.

Steve
Whiteman72

Postby banjodog on Tue May 20, 2008 4:06 am

Whiteman72 wrote:When we went in the gate we had to put all of our gear out on the parking lot and the Bomb Sniffing Extremely Hostile dog examined everything. The ONLY place he stopped was the little Walmart bag containing the guns. His head went diving into that thing and his handler jerked him out of it thinking - I guess - that we had food in there or something.

Steve

That reminds me of a situation out at I-01 (I think) @ Malmstrom back in the early 90's. The FM, I guess, would bring his dog out for the tour and let it have the run of the LCF. He was a friendly black Lab named "Bear" and I was told that Bear had to stay inside when the cops were doing their bomb-finding exercises on the LCF grounds because Bear would find the fake bomb before the cops would!

We also had one MNX guy who'd occasionally bring his dog out to site if it was a night dispatch. It was a small dog so he'd put the dog into one of the lowering bags we had, and lower the dog and whatever else into the LER. The guy left just before I started TTB training for MNX.
341 SMW '87-'94
EMT shop '91-'94 (ILCS)
banjodog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Re: The Whiteman Scenario - Chapter 1

Postby Crewdog on Thu May 22, 2008 11:06 pm

Whiteman72 wrote:One of my goals in writing the book and making the picture was to shine a bit of light on the jobs we did and that are still being done at Malmstrom, F. E. Warren, and Minot. Almost NO ONE outside of our little circle has a clue.

Steve McCurdy

Steve,

I just started reading the book and I'm liking the way you developed and expressed the type of pressure crews were under, as well as the insight into what makes a crew dog tick in those first few chapters. So if they just pay attention during that part of the book you will have achieved your goal....dedication, and high on stress and paranoia...that was us. I also appreciate the way you portrayed our way of life without us appearing to be a bunch of PTSD cases walking around saying "I've seen some things," even though many of us did. Well except for those few instances with Gray...

Last night I got a real chuckle out of the story. I was reading the part about the escape hatch, and I swear to you I remember that lecture almost word-for-word from when I was in IQT.
400 SMS - FEW 78 - 82
71 TMS - Florennes 85 - 86
Crewdog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby EIWarrior on Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:59 am

Had to order a copy after seeing the 13 minute preview. After 22 years in space ops, and 7 in the USAF, it was too real. I can relate, those times when all h**l breaks loose on console, and you wish you were anywhere else, and it's only the simulator. I can't wait to read the book.

One little note, the ICAO phonetic for "5" is "five", not "fiver", only "9" is spoken as "niner". Although, I never copied a "Skybird" message under duress...maybe the SAC CP and ACP guys pronounced "5" that way. Only a comm weenie would notice. :D
EIWarrior

Postby Lendys on Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:17 pm

We don't always use ICAO. I'll leave it at that.
Lendys
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Cancellier on Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:23 pm

True, but our rules have nothing to do with spoken numbers anyway. You can read what the SLFCS (Sorry, HAC/RMPE) prints out any way you want, but it had better read right.
Mike

Deuce 146
321 MW - 1993 - 1997
TOP HAND - 1997 - 2000
PACOM Nuke Guy - 2009
Cancellier

Postby Whiteman72 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:55 pm

Well, I stand corrected with egg all over my face. After almost 35 years I could have SWORN I heard "fiver" on more than one occasion. You are undoubtedly correct and If this thing ever sells enough to warrant the other two GRAY stories in the bin getting published I will FIX THAT DETAIL. :D

I am VERY gratified that the story is landing in the spirit in which it was launched. I have had so many personal emails from various ones of you (and a remarkably large number of civilians) who really took to the story. With almost no exception the common thread in their comments is -
"I HAD NO IDEA what your lives were like."

Steve
Whiteman72

Postby Whiteman72 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:14 pm

Whiteman Scenario Fans:

The move toward Movie is shaping up nicely. I posted a new thread in the coffee house about a need for photos from inside the LCF public areas - the showers, the kitchen, day-room, FSC office, etc. from the early '70s. We have current photos but they are MUCH nicer than what existed and we're shooting this as of August '74.

Wurtsmith AFB was in Oscoda, Michigan. It closed in '93. The Production Manager, Production Designer, and Set Designers all agree that it would be VASTLY easier to use the existing buildings there than to build sets here at Ellington/NASA or back at Whiteman that are from "the era." And getting a big movie crew and trucks onto a B2 base is not a job I want to have for 6 weeks. Oscoda is EAGER for us to go there and the old housing area (very much like Whiteman's) is now privately owned and FIVE houses have been offered to us to use at next to nothing for Gray's house.

We currently plan to use the old Mission Control at NASA for the SAC war room and will digitally raise the ceiling and put in the much taller screens. If anyone has a photo from the SAC War Room we'd appreciate it. I was there for 15 minutes in '74 during a First Team tour, but was pretty much in overwhelm at the time and NO PHOTOS were being taken. Also, if any of you know what the JCS's version of a Situation Room at the Pentagon was like in '74 that would be useful as well.

Photos can be sent to Info@TheWhitemanScenario.com .

I have also set up a discount code for the book - at checkout use S1M7C for a 25% discount (the $3 donation to AAFM will not be affected) that is Sierra One Mike Seven Charlie. (Disclaimer - this is not a solicitation or ad - just a notice).

These forums and AAFM have been instrumental in developing the interest and attraction of Whiteman to Hollywood. Thank you so much and here's hoping a movie honoring the service of the Missileer is not far away.

Steve McCurdy
author
The Whiteman Scenario
Whiteman72

Previous

Return to The Missile Muse