The Whiteman Scenario

Post your missile poems, songs and other musings here.

Re: The Whiteman Scenario

Postby banjodog on Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:26 am

Master Technician wrote:Wow. That scared the heck out of me.

That could have been me and my team on K-07. In fact we did an EWO backout once that did scare the heck out of us.

They never did that to us at Malmstrom, and I've always thought they should have tested us with a surprise EWO backout. As I remember, I only did one EWO backout, and that was for training I think.
341 SMW '87-'94
EMT shop '91-'94 (ILCS)
banjodog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby PASMAN II on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:24 pm

banjodog wrote:They never did that to us at Malmstrom, and I've always thought they should have tested us with a surprise EWO backout. As I remember, I only did one EWO backout, and that was for training I think.

If we had a maintenance team in the tube and we knew we were going to cycle the nozzles by running a missile test, it was always a real-nice courtesy to inform the team before we ran the test. :D
Bob

Vandenberg - Deuce 68 - 1983
321 SMW - 446 SMS - 1983-1987
Flight Commander A-0
ACP Qualified 1985
SELM 85-4 (Primary)
258 Nuclear Alerts
PASMAN II
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby Whiteman72 on Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:13 pm

Thanks for the background. Sorry the research fell short. I should have verified those reports which were a source of some pride during those cold war days. Or it could have been just a motivational speech that went wrong. Great to know the real scoop on that.

Typos are the bane of my existence. Three editors and many issues later - they still find a way to hide from PAID eyes. Mine have seen them too long to recognize a difference. HEY! Highlight them and I'll buy your book back!!! Now there's a deal.

Thanks for the kind words.

Steve McCurdy
Whiteman72

Postby Warrior Of the North on Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:04 am

pp8010 that felt cheated on the ending, that is the way SAC did things - need to know - never any glory for missileers, most of the time it was boring and dull but there were times of mind altering, butt puckering terror that only took 2 shakes of a lambs tail to happen, then we're told to stand down just as fast with nothing to show for but white knuckles & a sweat soaked uniform, and the only explanation was heard thru rumors & conjecture.

great book glad to see one of "us" wrote it. not sure if anyone who didnt know the S.O.P. would understand the book.

I loved it, put into words that I never really thought of what shaped my life.
Last edited by Warrior Of the North on Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
321st FMMS FMT/PMT '85 - '88
321st Warrior mascot '86 & "87
Warrior Of the North

Postby LA CrewDawg on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:25 pm

PASMAN wrote:
If we had a maintenance team in the tube and we knew we were going to cycle the nozzles by running a missile test, it was always a real-nice courtesy to inform the team before we ran the test. :D

Not only a good idea, but a great way to keep from having a friendly face to face with your Sq/CC and the DO, OGC, or whatever they call him/her now. And maybe the DCM/MGC. 8) Note the "Warning" prior to step 3.
Missile Tst.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LA CrewDawg
341st - ILCS 57, 12th, DOT
90th - PK 11, 400th (Crew Tour II), DO9, DO22
Field Command Defense Special Weapons Agency - Arms Control Branch
Field Command Defense Special Weapons Agency - POM Branch
LA CrewDawg
2 RVs
2 RVs

Re: The Whiteman Scenario - Chapter 1

Postby Whiteman72 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:41 pm

Chapter 1 - The Whiteman Scenario (the short film) is now an official selection at the First Take Film Festival running concurrently with the Masters near Augusta, Georgia. The movie screens Tuesday, April 8th at 4pm. Just making the cut is pretty amazing. I will keep you posted on developments.

One of my goals in writing the book and making the picture was to shine a bit of light on the jobs we did and that are still being done at Malmstrom, F. E. Warren, and Minot. Almost NO ONE outside of our little circle has a clue.

I'm getting emails from civilians who were either gifted the book or came across it somehow and they are very interested. Most had no idea how the missile systems worked. Many still have an image in their minds of six or eight guys in a roomy control center down the tube from an Atlas or Titan booster. VERY few get the picture of the isolation, crew rotation, etc. But they are digging it!

More info as I learn it.

Steve McCurdy
Whiteman72

Postby SAC Killer on Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:26 pm

Whiteman72 wrote:Thanks for the background. Sorry the research fell short. I should have verified those reports which were a source of some pride during those cold war days. Or it could have been just a motivational speech that went wrong. Great to know the real scoop on that.

Typos are the bane of my existence. Three editors and many issues later - they still find a way to hide from PAID eyes. Mine have seen them too long to recognize a difference. HEY! Highlight them and I'll buy your book back!!! Now there's a deal.

Thanks for the kind words.

Steve McCurdy

Regarding typos: Being a slimy defense contractor I have written many a proposal to get more contracts. Government proposals are essentially books, particularly for the really big contracts, full of fancy text and graphics. These things get numerous rewrites, reviews, technical edits, word processing, spell checking, printing, binding, page counting, and more reviews before they are printed, repro'd, and sealed into boxes ready to deliver. But after all that, in the dark inside those boxes, the letters move themselves around on the pages to create typos that we KNOW were not there before.

I'm sure the commercial publishing industry has the same problem.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby hockey85 on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:57 am

[/quote]

Regarding typos: Being a slimy defense contractor I have written many a proposal to get more contracts. Government proposals are essentially books, particularly for the really big contracts, full of fancy text and graphics. These things get numerous rewrites, reviews, technical edits, word processing, spell checking, printing, binding, page counting, and more reviews before they are printed, repro'd, and sealed into boxes ready to deliver. But after all that, in the dark inside those boxes, the letters move themselves around on the pages to create typos that we KNOW were not there before.

I'm sure the commercial publishing industry has the same problem.[/quote]

haha. I know how that goes. I spent many months working with my history thesis, and it was proofread by many people, but typos still ended up in the paper somehow. I've seen some typos in Tom Clancy novels as well, so nobody is immune from typos.

Cory
PAX ORBIS PER ARMA AERIA
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ken Prescott on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:54 pm

Whiteman72 wrote:Hi, guys. Glad you liked the book. I also posted "Chapter 1" as a movie on the book's website http://www.TheWhitemanScenario.com .

We shot it in Oscar Capsule and it was a great time. Two super young actors played the roles of Gray Crawford and "Dink" Dinkins. They had a broken water pipe three days before we got there which flooded the elevator lobby below so we had to load crew, gear, actors, costumes, everything in and out on the ladders. I hated those ladders when I was 23. I'm amazed I can still make the climb!

I will be collecting war stories for Gray's next Missile Adventure so if any of you have any great incidents that you think would make for a good story - let me know!

Steve McCurdy
Author
TheWhitemanScenario

I will talk to SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed, aka Mistress of the Checkbook) about this book. It looks really interesting.
First on foot, and to the right on line.
Ken Prescott
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Crewdog on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:37 pm

Ken Prescott wrote:I will talk to SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed, aka Mistress of the Checkbook) about this book. It looks really interesting.

SWAMBO and Mistress of the Checkbook...I like that! My boss got me a copy and it's next in my reading queue, and I'm stoked.

P.S. Steve, much ado about nothing on typos, for god sake what do you expect from minumum wage type setters. Cory is right you can find typos in any novel, text book, or magazine. If they are really a bother I know professional editors I could hook you up with. Bottom line - You got missileers into print with something other than the foolishness of Twilight's Last Gleaming, or Damnation Alley!
400 SMS - FEW 78 - 82
71 TMS - Florennes 85 - 86
Crewdog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Whiteman72 on Tue May 06, 2008 2:51 pm

I received notice yesterday that "Chapter - 1: The Whiteman Scenario" movie has been chosen as an Official Selection at the Action On FIlm Festival in Pasadena, California in late July. Once I get our screening time I'll see if I can advise the folks at Vandenberg and get a road trip to fill the house.

Recognition like this is DIFFICULT to get. I made the movie "I Flunked Sunday School" two years ago and it took an army of PR people and lots of work to get selected. This time I just took a chance and entered. With no budget and no "team" behind the picture it has found a spot on its own.

I just finished watching the live coverage from Malmstrom on the Today program. Al Rokker got most of it right and no anal retentive techie was going to correct the minor mis-statements on camera (THANK GOODNESS). Still, as morning shows go, it was a blitz of information that skims the surface. Pretty good awareness elevation though.

ALSO... I was on a brief book tour to formally launch the book last week at Whiteman AFB and (at the insistence of the base excange manager) Fort Leavenworth. The Army Command College guys have NO time for recreational reading but the gal at the PX thought it would be a hit. Not so much.

I did get interesting input from a few people though regarding the title... The working title for the book was "Launch Code: PENDING" which I changed to "The Whiteman Scenario" for a lot of reasons that readers of the book will understand. Given that Whiteman isn't even a missile base anymore - would you who did not serve there be more interested in reading the book if it were titled "Launch Code: PENDING" than "The Whiteman Scenario" ??? Email me at smccurdy@theWhitemanScenario.com with your opinions. I would hate to relaunch this book but if a title change would make it more interesting to readers it is within the realm of possibility.

Steve McCurdy
Whiteman72

Postby PASMAN II on Tue May 06, 2008 4:31 pm

Okay. If we're going to pander to the Hollywood types, change the name to "Sex in the Capsule". :D
Bob

Vandenberg - Deuce 68 - 1983
321 SMW - 446 SMS - 1983-1987
Flight Commander A-0
ACP Qualified 1985
SELM 85-4 (Primary)
258 Nuclear Alerts
PASMAN II
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby hockey85 on Wed May 07, 2008 12:30 am

PASMAN wrote:Okay. If we're going to pander to the Hollywood types, change the name to "Sex in the Capsule". :D

haha. then add a love story story that detracts from the main story, like alot of other hollywood movies that otherwise would have been awesome but the love stories takes away from the action... Dink and Gray should should be having an affair with each others wives, have a couple scenes of boring dialouge, then at the end everybody make up and live happily ever after... should be a couple of fight scenes as well with sky cop chase scenes.

haha, just kidding... I think the book is awesome the way it is. no changes are needed.

Cory
PAX ORBIS PER ARMA AERIA
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin

Capsule Sounds

Postby Whiteman72 on Sat May 10, 2008 7:19 pm

Effective immediately the sound effects for the Capsule Printer and the Warble Tone/Skybird Copy messages are posted as downloads on http://www.TheWhitemanScenario.com/Chapt1.htm . For another week they will be available for free. After than you may have to pay with an email address.

Also available as full downloads or ring-tones are the primary music selections from the movie soundtrack.

Enjoy them.

Steve McCurdy
Whiteman72

Postby njh621 on Sat May 10, 2008 8:40 pm

For some reason, the link to "Countdown to launch" isn't working right. Just thought I'd point that out.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
Electrical Engineer ("In training")
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

PreviousNext

Return to The Missile Muse