The Whiteman Scenario

Post your missile poems, songs and other musings here.

The Whiteman Scenario

Postby hockey85 on Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:37 am

In the December 2007 issue of the Association of Air Force Missileers newsletter they mentioned the novel, "The Whiteman Scenario" by Steve McCurdy. I found it on the web and purchased it. I just finished reading it and I have to say it was an awesome book! Its about 300 pages long and a real page turner! I definetly reccomend it if you are looking for a good novel about missileers.

You can buy it here... http://www.thewhitemanscenario.com

Cory
PAX ORBIS PER ARMA AERIA
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Whiteman Scenario

Postby Crewdog on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:44 pm

hockey85 wrote:In the December 2007 issue of the Association of Air Force Missileers newsletter they mentioned the novel, "The Whiteman Scenario" by Steve McCurdy. I found it on the web and purchased it. I just finished reading it and I have to say it was an awesome book! Its about 300 pages long and a real page turner! I definetly reccomend it if you are looking for a good novel about missileers.

You can buy it here... http://www.lulu.com/content/1715601

Cory

The write-up sound interesting and I believe I will have to buy it. I found it on Target.com and Amazon.com as well, but surprisingly not at Barnes and Noble.
400 SMS - FEW 78 - 82
71 TMS - Florennes 85 - 86
Crewdog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Whiteman72 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:33 pm

Hi, guys. Glad you liked the book. I also posted "Chapter 1" as a movie on the book's website http://www.TheWhitemanScenario.com .

We shot it in Oscar Capsule and it was a great time. Two super young actors played the roles of Gray Crawford and "Dink" Dinkins. They had a broken water pipe three days before we got there which flooded the elevator lobby below so we had to load crew, gear, actors, costumes, everything in and out on the ladders. I hated those ladders when I was 23. I'm amazed I can still make the climb!

I will be collecting war stories for Gray's next Missile Adventure so if any of you have any great incidents that you think would make for a good story - let me know!

Steve McCurdy
Author
TheWhitemanScenario
Whiteman72

Postby hockey85 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:40 pm

That was a cool video as well. Thanks for making it. Its nice to see videos and books about missileers being made.

Cory
PAX ORBIS PER ARMA AERIA
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiteman72 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:07 pm

Cory:

Since the events of that time I have been haunted by the immense responsibility Minuteman troups bore. ALL of them - Opps, Maintenance, Secuity...

I had a Marine senior officer tell me one time that the Marine bond was man to man - and man to unit. They would die for one another and were often called on to deliver terrible destruction. He went on to say, though, that every Marine mission had a limit to the destruction. He said he admired our courage and commitment to face (ALONE in the capsule - without a group of brothers close at hand) a mission with almost NO limits to the destruction that would result. He said he was glad that he and his men had fewer lives in their hands.

I think that summed up why our "soft, cushy below-ground duty" was still such a demanding and draining one. Writing the book called up a lot of ghosts but also reminded me of the amazingly dedicated men (and later WOMEN) who faced that task and did what had to be done in order to ensure we were ready.

If this book does well, I'll go to work on another. I'd love to get access to a modern day LCC and visit with current launch officers. With the USA stepping back and the rest of the world arming and going nuts - I wonder what they are struggling with now?

Thanks for the kind words.

Steve McCurdy
Author -
The Whiteman Scenario
Whiteman72

Postby Crewdog on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:36 pm

Whiteman72 wrote:
I think that summed up why our "soft, cushy below-ground duty" was still such a demanding and draining one. Writing the book called up a lot of ghosts but also reminded me of the amazingly dedicated men (and later WOMEN) who faced that task and did what had to be done in order to ensure we were ready.

Well, remember one of our other unofficial mottos (at least in my squadron) - "hours of sheer boredom, mixed with seconds of sheer terror."

I echo Cory's remarks. Also, that film clip brought back a lot of memories for me; the grating sound of the CMPG printer made me twitch once or twice. Hearing the warble tone again gave me that tingly feeling between my shoulder blades.
400 SMS - FEW 78 - 82
Crewdog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Whiteman72 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:14 am

Crewdog:

My best friend in high school was a pilot trainer and pilots have the same motto (boredom/terror). I particularly enjoy the "Let's have landings equal take-offs" motto.

That printer sound I had a heck of a time tracking down. I finally found a VERY old dot matrix printer sound that came in bursts not unlike our old printers. The one in the capsule at Oscar was VASTLY superior to the one we dealt with. We had to feed paper from a spindle below the printer into a slot.. oooch it through as it went in, turned vertically in the channel and then back forward under the print heads and emerged a couple of inches above the supply slot. ANY humidity made the paper unpushable, and any static electricity caused it to stick. We had an UNAuthORIZED but always functional method by which we tore off the trailing edge, taped the leading edge to it with the tape on the side OPPOSITE the print heads and then either line advanced it through or just pulled it through.

The one that is in in Oscar now has a pair of simple zeus type fasteners which opened easily and you just dropped the new roll in. EASY.

The other sound you mentioned... the warble tone... I had to create. I found a sound something similar but it was MUCH slower. It sounded something like a European cop car. Chopping the square waves to size did the trick. The first time I played it I had flash backs. The kids who played the crew in the movie said it was, "Creepy." Yeah. No kidding.

Steve
Whiteman72

Postby Crewdog on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:33 pm

How ever you got 'em brother they were real enough for me. Yeah, that printer was always a charm to load, my first commander taught me to cut the paper at a diagonal so you were feeding "wedge" into the printer instead of a straight edge. It was a funky little trick, but it always worked on those tempermental suckers.
400 SMS - FEW 78 - 82
Crewdog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby SAC Killer on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:32 pm

You could also fold about six inches of the paper back over itself. But you had to make the fold very even and the crease sharp, and make sure the entire doubled part was fed out of the printer. Amazing the details you remember from so long ago.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby PASMAN II on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:08 pm

Great video, Steve. Put me down for one copy of the book!

Just one question. Where did you get the crew blues from?
Bob

Vandenberg - Deuce 68 - 1983
321 SMW - 446 SMS - 1983-1987
Flight Commander A-0
ACP Qualified 1985
SELM 85-4 (Primary)
258 Nuclear Alerts
PASMAN II
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby Whiteman72 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:05 am

I went to Colonel Bubbies in Galveston, probably the world's LARGEST and BEST INVENTORIED surplus store on the planet. The crew blues were a bit different but not enough to show in the video. Finding the right color scarves was the biggest challenge. I had to have the HQ pins manufactured and they were a bit different but to make 2 different ones and not 500 of each I had to compromise some. The guns were fun. I had "Have Guns-Will REnt" in Kansas City supply non-working .38's with disabled cylinders. When we went in the gate we had to put all of our gear out on the parking lot and the Bomb Sniffing Extremely Hostile dog examined everything. The ONLY place he stopped was the little Walmart bag containing the guns. His head went diving into that thing and his handler jerked him out of it thinking - I guess - that we had food in there or something. We had guns. The dog nailed it. They are props now but probably still smelled of gunpowder from a former life.

SMc
Whiteman72

Postby njh621 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:37 am

I noticed that the crew blues were slightly off when I saw that they buttoned with two buttons underneath the flap, but it's very hard to notice! Where did you get the SAC and missile badge patches, off the AAFM website store?
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
Electrical Engineer ("In training")
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby pp8010 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:52 am

I just finished the book, and checked out the video for chapter one. I'd give it a solid 7 out of 10.

A pretty quick read, and thoroughly interesting. I felt cheated with the ending. With all the incredible action of the last twenty or so pages, I wanted to know how SAC, and the brass dealt with the lead characters (particularly Gray) after the crisis had passed. Instead, it just cut to the funeral of the dead crew and security member. Bummer.

While content was excellent, at least to this civilian puke, it was hard to follow the back and forth style of the writer's timing of events.

That said, I would gladly buy a future offering from Mr. McCurdy. The book does a great service in bringing your challenging, and oft unheralded jobs into the mainstream. I for one, am grateful for all of you who are either serving currently, or have served in the past in such a difficult part of our nation's security.

Patrick

Oh, and FYI, I think they should re-instate the pocket rocket, as opposed to retaining the Buzz Lightyear, err, sorry, I mean the Space Wings pin.
pp8010

Postby Master Technician on Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:14 pm

Wow. That scared the heck out of me.

That could have been me and my team on K-07. In fact we did an EWO backout once that did scare the heck out of us.

I'll be purchasing the book. Thanks for the intro with the video.
351st SMW
351st OMMS EMT Branch
EMDAS System Qualified
ERCS Qualified, 510th SMS
Master Technician
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Irishmccc on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:54 pm

I just finished reading the "Whiteman Scenario" and for a work of fiction it was a pretty good read. Obviously, there was some poetic license taken which required a little suspension of belief, but as a thriller it was pretty good. One glaring historical inaccuracy should be addressed however. When the missile wing at Whiteman was formed, it did inherit the designation, lineag and history of a World War II unit, but not the unit that included the Enola Gay. The 351st bwas formed in November, 1942 at Geiger Field near Spokane, Washington. Four squadrons of B-17 Flying Fortresses were established and designated the 508th, 509th, 510th and 511th. Lt. Colonel William A. Hatcher was named commanding officer. One of the more famous members of the unit during that time ws movie star Clark Gable who flew a few B-17 missions.

The Enola Gay, the B-29 that dropped the first atomic bomb was assigned to the 393rd Bomb Squadron, 509th Composite Group, 20th Air Force - not the 509th Bomb Squadron of the 351st. However, in the early 1990's, the 509th was resurrected and assigned the new stealth bomber the B-2. Ironically enoght, they were and still are assigned to Whiteman AFB.

I hope the book is a big success and that you get into a second printing. If so, perhaps a little more scrutiny on proofreading is in order. The (as the author would put it) NUMEROUS typo's were somewhat of a distraction. Never-the-less, it was fun to read a book about the old crew dogs. At that time, I was a Titan II crew member and we did go through an increase in readiness status about the time of the Arab/Israeli War and the scuttlebutt was that it was ordered to get people's minds of of Watergate. So the book was right on in the choice of a motive.
Irishmccc

Next

Return to The Missile Muse