The Groobers

Post your missile poems, songs and other musings here.

Postby SAC Killer on Fri May 25, 2007 1:04 am

3901smes wrote:The Little Green boxes refers to the below ground Launch Control Faciltiies where the launch crews resided. The capsule liner walls are all six the Wings were painted Seafoam Green.

Call me picky, but I must disagree with this. At 341SMW and 321SMW in the 70s and 80s, the LCF buildings were green. But the steel capsule liners were all international orange. Grungy and dingy from years of Global Thermonuclear Alert it is true, but orange nonetheless.

When I arrived at El Forko Grande as a Site Maintenance Officer (aka Schmoo), I was assigned as the Schmoo for one of the flights. And the Flight Commander promptly called me up wanting me to get a steam cleaner so he could clean the capsule liner. I was horrified at the thought of what all that humidity would do to the electronics, and told him there was no way I would do that. Doubt there was one on the base anyway.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby AE on Fri May 25, 2007 2:52 am

The writer said "capsule liner walls" but I interpretted that to mean the walls of the acoustical enclosure rather than the steel liner of the capsule itself--which, as we all know, were many things (including dirty), but not seafoam green. AE
ILCS Class 31 / ALCS Class 90-2
490 SMS - 341 SMW/DOTI - 4315 CCTS - 4 ACCS - 2 ACCS
... and damned proud of every single one of my 476 nuclear alerts in SAC!
AE
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby SAC Killer on Sat May 26, 2007 11:52 am

I remember the acoustical enclosure walls as being a cream color, with the equipment racks seafoam green, but it has been so many years I can't claim I'm 100% right.

Maybe one of the Groobers can tell us what they meant. I always thought they were talking about the buildings above ground.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby Ken Prescott on Sat May 26, 2007 2:47 pm

I Googled Groobers and MP3 . . . the music is available for download.

From Russia.

Irony is so ironic. :)
First on foot, and to the right on line.
Ken Prescott
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby AE on Sat May 26, 2007 4:38 pm

SAC Killer wrote:I remember the acoustical enclosure walls as being a cream color, with the equipment racks seafoam green, but it has been so many years I can't claim I'm 100% right.

Maybe one of the Groobers can tell us what they meant. I always thought they were talking about the buildings above ground.

As did I (as I stated in my earlier post). It was 3901smes who suggested the color was a reference to something other than the topside buildings. Admittedly, the acoustical enclosures have always more closely resembled "little boxes" than have the topside structures, but since I was already familiar with the original lyrics of the song and knew that reference was to houses, I just logically assumed the Groobers were referring to the LCFs (in those days) since they were all green and all looked pretty much the same. AE

EDIT: I don't know why the quoted text is invisible, but here's the portion I was responding to: "I always thought they were talking about the buildings above ground."
ILCS Class 31 / ALCS Class 90-2
490 SMS - 341 SMW/DOTI - 4315 CCTS - 4 ACCS - 2 ACCS
... and damned proud of every single one of my 476 nuclear alerts in SAC!
AE
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby SAC Killer on Sun May 27, 2007 1:15 am

I love it when people agree violently! It always takes them so long to figure it out!

And what a kick that you can buy MP3s of the Groobers from Russia. We are conquering the world, one English word, one pair of jeans, one song at a time. I have to wonder, though, how the Russians got the original licorice disk. Did they get it from the KGB, or what?

Along the same lines I once downloaded The Communist Manifesto to my Palm device, just to make Marks and Engels roll over in their graves.

BTW I had the same problem with invisible quotes. The FAQ has a clue how to prevent that, but you have to experiment a bit to see how to apply the color commands. For some reason when you do that the font size changes and then it looks like you are shouting. Not the moderator's fault; seems to be the software. It's a feature.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby Ken Prescott on Tue May 29, 2007 3:29 pm

And what a kick that you can buy MP3s of the Groobers from Russia. We are conquering the world, one English word, one pair of jeans, one song at a time. I have to wonder, though, how the Russians got the original licorice disk. Did they get it from the KGB, or what?

Doggone good question, actually. Maybe someone bought a CD.

Along the same lines I once downloaded The Communist Manifesto to my Palm device, just to make Marks and Engels roll over in their graves.

"IT workers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose except your Cat 5 plenum-grade cables!"

Just doesn't quite have the same ring, does it?

:D
First on foot, and to the right on line.
Ken Prescott
2 RVs
2 RVs

Re: The Groobers

Postby spanky on Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:21 pm

granted i'm an it-idiot but how can i get my hands on a download of the groobers....or buy a cd...the lp wouldn't do me much good tho
crewdog, 564sms, MAFB 85-88
spanky

Postby DaneTrain on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:33 am

What's a record? Is that like a 8-track?

/Kidding.

Yeah, I'd love an mp3 for my iPod. My wife already hates the EAM sound on my cell phone text message...now, songs about Missileer(ing)? Huzzah!
Proud of my all 200+ (And counting) alerts.
DaneTrain
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby AFMissileers on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:39 pm

Several members of the Association of Air Force Missileers have provided us with CDs with the Groobers - and we have the original record. We don't list the CDs on our web page but can make them available in limited supply. None of the Groobers have joined AAFM - we would like to have some of them is anyone has a way to locate them

DOV was the Directorate of Operations Evaluation Division - The AF used the V because the E was already used by some other office
Charlie Simpson
Executive Director
Association of AF Missileers
AFMissileers
Staff
Staff

Postby RichBurton on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:58 pm

I talked to Rollie this fall and got the CD from him if anyone is interested.
RichBurton

Postby banjodog on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:22 am

The National Park Service created a new video that features the Groobers at the very end, for a minute or so. Also check out the EAM tone about halfway through.

http://www.nps.gov/mimi/index.htm under "New Park Film"
341 SMW '87-'94
EMT shop '91-'94 (ILCS)
banjodog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby AFMissileers on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:31 am

The folks at Wall who made the video - a good one - got all their music and the PAS warble from us at the Association of Air Force Missileers
Charlie Simpson
Executive Director
AFMissileers
Staff
Staff

Postby smug_grrl on Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi all. Our family was stationed at Malmstrom AFB years and years and years ago, and while we were there my dad acquired The Groobers album on vinyl. We all loved it and listened to it for years, but somehow he's lost his copy. I've been searching the internet for years to find another copy to give him for Christmas or his birthday or anniversary or anything really, and I would LOVE it if someone could burn me a copy. I'll pay whatever you ask for it, within reason. You can email me at smug_grrl@hotmail.com.

Thanks a million!

-Heather
smug_grrl

Postby AFMissileers on Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:13 pm

We have copies available most of the time at AAFM - aafm@afmissileers.org
Charlie Simpson
Executive Director
AFMissileers
Staff
Staff