Do "They" still know we are down there and/or care?

Post your missile poems, songs and other musings here.

Do "They" still know we are down there and/or care?

Postby Capt. Bill on Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:56 am

A little musing before bedtime. Forty or thirty years ago "they" meaning the American public in general knew we were down in those missile silos. 154 crews, 416 men ready to launch nukes at the Soviets when the President gave the word. They didn't think of us all the time but they knew we were there just as they knew they could be attacked by Soviet nukes at any time. Those "Dr. Strangelove types" as we were refered to at times. When I was teenager in the 60s, I knew the missile guys were there but does today's generation or even their parents think about it or even know there are 45 crews or 90 crew members down in those LCCs everyday. Forty years ago if you told most people you were a missile launch officer there might be a mix of awe and even admiration. Today often as not the reaction is probably we don't really need you guys anymore do we or I thought we got rid of all those 20 years ago. My feelings are that while it might not be as much now as 40 years ago, we still need you guys. And another old missileer will always have admiration for the crews today.

As the old saying goes "They also serve who only sit and wait:

Musing over, bed time.
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Do "They" still know we are down there and/or care?

Postby Piquet on Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:22 pm

I know for a fact people don't think about it as much today. Every time they discuss nuclear arms reductions on the news, there are always people saying "I didn't know we still have nukes." People in the northern tier know, because they want to keep those bases open. The average guy in the south probably has no clue we still pull alerts every day.
Dave Peck, CDB-87
MMIII/CDB 1983-1988 (742 SMS, DOV, DO22)
MMIII/REACT-A 1999-2001 (740 MS)
Piquet
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby hockey85 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:25 pm

I have run across a mix of reactions. Some of the people I've talked to have no idea we still exist. Then for the people that know we are still pulling alert, there is a mix of people who are in awe and are grateful for what missileers do, then there are people that ask why we are still around.

Cory
PAX ORBIS PER ARMA AERIA
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby njh621 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:04 pm

Many people would be shocked to know that New York state actually had silos (12 Atlas F). Of the people that I've talked to, some knew the silos were there, a lot more didn't know. I still get reactions of shock when I tell people that there were 18 silos around Tucson and Little Rock. For whatever reason, though, they don't show any surprise when I tell them that Kansas had several silos as well.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
Electrical Engineer ("In training")
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby Capt. Bill on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:47 pm

njh621 wrote:Many people would be shocked to know that New York state actually had silos (12 Atlas F). Of the people that I've talked to, some knew the silos were there, a lot more didn't know. I still get reactions of shock when I tell people that there were 18 silos around Tucson and Little Rock. For whatever reason, though, they don't show any surprise when I tell them that Kansas had several silos as well.

or that Texas, Oklahoma, Washingston state and New Mexico all had Atlas wings.
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to The Missile Muse