SERE training and Misc Questions

For general discussion with your fellow SAC PACCS/USSTRATCOM ABNCP Airborne Launch Control System crewdogs. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

SERE training and Misc Questions

Postby Maxwell on Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:34 am

Do ALCS and NAOC crewmembers go through SERE training before flying? Also, are both platforms stationed at Offut now? How often do you fly in either of the aircraft? Any other facts about the operational side of these assignments would be much appreciated

Max
Maxwell

Postby Dav on Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:58 am

Although I dont fly on either.... I'd be willing to bet SERE might be a waste of taxpayer money since we generally don't fly those anywhere the "bad guys". ALCS wouldn't do much good unless it was over a missile base.... that whole UHF LOS thing. Though you may want SERE to avoid talking to a No. Dak i guess.

Water survival might be a requirement?
If you kill one, it is a tragedy...kill ten million? It is a statistic"
Dav
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Spank on Wed May 24, 2006 3:48 pm

Interesting story (to me anyway)...when I was selected for this ALCS job 7 years ago (I was at NSA at the time), the guy at MPC told me that he was going to have to send me to survival school. I told him that when I took SERE at the Academy, I was told that it counted the same as the school at Fairchild, and that it was good for life. Had I been lied to? He chuckled and replied that I had attended "beginning beatings," and he needed to send me to "advanced beatings." When I asked him why, since the ABNCP flew over the midwest (with an obligatory joke about the Freemen and other militias), he said that he would check on it for me. It wasn't a deal braker for me, but crapping in a coffee can (I'm sorry..."people's can") again didn't seem like valuable training. He called me back and said that he had made a mistake...he had assumed that since I was at NSA, and since I was going from there to a flying job at Offutt, that I was going to be on the RC-135s there. Those guys do have to attend the advanced beatings course apparently...
Spank
2 RVs
2 RVs

Misc Questions Answered

Postby CAG-16 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:07 am

Here are some answers to your questions:

No, the battlestaff members aboard NAOC and ABNCP do not have to undergo SERE training. There is some localized training accomplished from the life support training professionals at Offutt.

(If you've already done it as part of training, well that's okay too.)

The NAOC is the National Airborne Operations Center, an E-4B outfitted to provide the National leadership with a survivable means to operate the U.S. government. The aircraft belong to the USAF, the aircrew, maintenance and security personnel are assigned to the 1st Airborne Command and Control Sqn (1 ACCS), part of Air Combat Command's 55th Wing. The Battlestaff personnel come from USSTRATCOM. About 7-8 years ago, those personnel received CJCS "Joint Staff" credit, but that changed. Battlestaff member do receive "joint duty credit" which annotates that they've served in a joint billet.

Indeed, the E-4B was also tested as the replacement ABNCP (Airborne Command Post), complete with the ALCS (Airborne Launch Control System) on board. However, cost considerations negated that effort.

In the mid-1990s, the USAF decided to retire the EC-135s used by SAC, then STRATCOM, for ABNCP duty. The N-A-V-Y, in their never-ending quest for $$$ and missions, offered to update their E-6A TACAMO birds to E-6B ABNCP. The aircraft were modified, and they now serve both roles.

Every E-6B can fly TACAMO, but to perform ABNCP missions they need special codes, and other sensitive materials, as well as the USSTRATCOM Battlestaff. Once uploaded, they're cocked onto alert, and the whole team (Navy aircrew, STRAT battlestaff) live in an aircraft alert facility.

ABNCP duty is okay, but for you young missileers out there, it can be GREAT. The ALCS officers NOW come from the 625th Missile Operations Flight at Offutt. THUS, cream of the crop missileers can apply for a second/third crew tour as ALCS, flying aboard the ABNCP.
- You get to fly alot, get flight pay, more CRMs and hey, if you fly for a year, you keep the nonrated officer aircrew wings forever!

AND, you are the subject matter experts on airborne missilery--you'll get to do airborne FOT&E shots, and fly around the US.

If you have any more questions, post them for SPANK! ALL HAIL SPANK!
CAG-16

Return to Airborne Launch Control System