General ALCS questions

For general discussion with your fellow SAC PACCS/USSTRATCOM ABNCP Airborne Launch Control System crewdogs. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Re: General ALCS questions

Postby AE on Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:34 pm

Hey Doug, you forgot the "L" model! (Granted, it was pretty much the most forgettable in the EC-135 family.) I know the L models had the Phase II but I don't think any were ever equipped with the CALCS--even though the CALCS T.O. (21-LG118A-1-2) was coded for all four models (A/C/G/L). At least not as far as I can remember. For the life of me, I can't remember the difference in configuration between the A and L models but I know I flew on an L a couple times. By 1994, all references to the A/G/L models in the T.O. had been removed and the cover page said simply EC-135C. Now, that too is history. :(
ILCS Class 31 / ALCS Class 90-2
490 SMS - 341 SMW/DOTI - 4315 CCTS - 4 ACCS - 2 ACCS
... and damned proud of every single one of my 476 nuclear alerts in SAC!
AE
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby dekelley82 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:41 pm

Yeah, I purposely left off the L model so as not to confuse our Deuce brother Cancellier--typically used only for the radio relay a/c role out of Grissom/Rickenbacker. However, I do believe we had at least one L model at EAFB, due to the aircraft shuffling from the Pacer Link/CALCS modifications. When I got there in '87, they were rotating the a/c in and out, and there were already tail numbers leaving and not coming back (i.e., going to Grissom instead).

After the Pacer Link/CALCS mod there really was no difference between the A/G/L models.
Doug Kelley
CDB-87 Oct 82-Feb 83, 741 SMS/91 SMW/DOTI/DOV 83-86, 4 ACCS 87-91, HQ SAC/ACC/AFSPC 91-94,
STRATCOM/J33 94-97, 91 MW/DOT 97-98, 741 MS/DO 98-00, 576 FLTS/CC 00-01, NORAD CMOC 01-05
30 SW Staff 05-06
dekelley82

Postby notlaw99 on Thu May 22, 2008 8:59 pm

When I was on crew in the 490th SMS [1970 - 1974] we had a cable problem with one of our sorties in Oscar flight. The redundant hardened cables between LCCs and LFs but the point of intersection of the connections was outside the LF Fence and only one cable runs from the point of intersection to the LF at that time in Wing I. We had a farmer managed to accidently cut the cable between the point of intersection to the network and the LF it self, isolating the LF from any squadron LCC control. Since that opened the LF to UHF control it had to be manually safed until the cable was repaired. I don't know if point of hardened cable interconnectivity was outside the LF fence at other wings or not.

They also did stupid things when they designed the SAC Underground. There was a single water pipe that ran from out side the O Club at Offutt to the Building 501 [Underground Command post] it was the water source for the air conditioning system. And the original SACCS DPS Computers [Q31s] were water cooled. So if the water supply was shut down you would lose use of the SACCS system in the SAC CP. The Q31s were totally replaced by WWMMCS computer in 1975 but the loss of water for air conditioning still affected other capabilities in the SAC Command Post.
490 SMS June 1970 - June 1974
HQ SAC Command Control War Plans Computer Division - System Supervisors [We were the analyst of the SACCS]
DOD Contractor DRC Database Designer F-15 & F-16 Consolidated Data System and designed the F-117 initial database
notlaw99
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Chris Tac Guy on Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:00 pm

Hi there, This is my first post. The other day my mother gave me a coffee cup that belonged to my Uncle. On it was written "Chris 4 ACCS". Now I knew my uncle had been an officer in the air force and worked in SAC. My mom said that they called him Chris even though his name was William Christofolis, because his last name was too long. Does anybody here remember the unit? Was is a large unit or small enough where there's a chance somebody knew him? Any info would be appreciated either on the the unit or at best if somebody knew him. I really didnt know him, he pasted during a SAR mission when i was young in the 70's. Thanks
Chris Tac Guy

Postby AE on Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:58 pm

The 4 ACCS was not a small unit; in fact, if I remember right it had the claim of being one of the largest operational flying squadrons in SAC--and perhaps the entire USAF--at one time. I didn't know him and never heard the name before. (I think your question might be seen by more readers if you were to post it in a new string rather than bury it in this one.) AE
AE
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Chris Tac Guy on Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:57 pm

AE,

Thanks,
Now I'll learn how to post a new thread. I've just started looking it up and so far learned that it was attached to the 28th from 70-92 if I'm not mistaken. My family has told me that he worked in the silos. That may have been in a different assignment.
Thanks again,
Chris Tac Guy

Postby AE on Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:22 pm

Yes, the dates are correct. All of the guys in the ALCS branch of the 4 ACCS had missile backgrounds, meaning they performed alerts underground near the missile silos at either Minuteman or Titan II bases before coming to Ellsworth--or perhaps even at Ellsworth, since the 44 SMW used to be there. (It's also possible there may have been one or two Peacekeeper folks near the end... I left about a year before the unit closed so can't say for sure.)

And BTW, the 4 ACCS wasn't attached to the 28 BMW, it was assigned. There's a difference. 8) AE
AE
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby TDRSS on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:09 pm

AE wrote:Yes, the dates are correct. All of the guys in the ALCS branch of the 4 ACCS had missile backgrounds, meaning they performed alerts underground near the missile silos at either Minuteman or Titan II bases before coming to Ellsworth--or perhaps even at Ellsworth, since the 44 SMW used to be there. (It's also possible there may have been one or two Peacekeeper folks near the end... I left about a year before the unit closed so can't say for sure.)

And BTW, the 4 ACCS wasn't attached to the 28 BMW, it was assigned. There's a difference. 8) AE

Ok, I'll play the organizational dummy today: what's the difference between attached and assigned?

Chain of command, chain of authority, who has to pay for beers at the Club on Friday?

Cheers,
TDRSS

Nuclear Alert Tally
------------------------------------
Number of Alerts - 320
Number of Misdemeanors - 350
Number of Felonies - 3
Arrests - None
TDRSS
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby AE on Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:32 am

ASSIGN: To place a military unit within a military establishment [group or higher organization] so that the unit becomes an element or component of the larger organization.

ATTACH: To place a military unit temporarily under the control of another military unit or establishment for any or all of the folllowing reasons: administration, logistical support, or operational control. Unit attachment orders normally specify the purpose(s) for which a unit is attached. Attachment of a unit does not make the attached unit formally an element or component of the organization to which it is attached.... Attachment usually involves physical separation from the establishment of assignment.

(Source: The Organization and Lineage of the United States Air Force, by Charles A. Revenstein, 1986.)
AE
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Capt. Bill on Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:55 am

When was the first ALCC launch of a MM III missile at VAFB. I was on one of the crews for Glory Trip 07, 08 and 09GM in Nov 1971. One of the launches, think it was 08, was supposed to be an ALCC launch but we had to key turn from the LCC when we were told that ALCC "could not get in". A few years back I ran into one of the ALCC crews at an AAFM reunion and he said he was on the launch and the "codes' were wrong. Not sure if that was at the LF or on the ALCC. I had never thought about it but I guess there had to be some coding to prevent inadvertent/unauthorized alerts.
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Airborne Launch Control System