Who is your ALCS daddy?

For general discussion with your fellow SAC PACCS/USSTRATCOM ABNCP Airborne Launch Control System crewdogs. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Who is closer to being an ALCS Buddha, Larry or Spank? (Both mental and physical attributes can be counted)

Poll ended at Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:09 pm

Buddha Larry
No votes
Buddha Spank
100%

Total votes : 3

Who is your ALCS daddy?

Postby Spank on Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:09 pm

See the new poll question.
Spank
2 RVs
2 RVs

Before you, I AM

Postby Matt Sekella on Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:41 pm

In the beginning of the ORT, in April 1970, I was an Augmentee Instructor. I was Chief of the ORT by 1973. I am curious, what became of the ALCS Simulator at Ellsworth? Did it go to the SD Museum or to March AFB or ??? :D
Have an Interesting day !

Matt Sekella

Matthew E. Sekella
Northrop Grumman
AC2ISRC/A-61
Langley AFB VA
757-225-3636
mailto:matthew.sekella@langley.af.mil
Matt Sekella

Postby Spank on Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:51 pm

Hi Matt. I met you when you old ALCS guys came through the ALCS building at Offutt during the last AAFM National Meeting (I was the big, fat guy that spoke across the street from the base, then was there when Maj Larry Roberts took the group into the trainer for the tour).

I was also in the very last ORT class at 4th ACCS offered at Ellsworth (fall of '91). According to the Boeing guys across the hall right now, the Common APT at Ellsworth was split into a couple of groups. The box itself was apparently given to the Ellsworth Museum for display (don't know if it is on display though), and the spares were sent down here to support the Common APT at Offutt.

As an aside, I went to the 4315th only a couple of months after finishing ORT (President Bush and Gen Butler having decided that 4th ACCS was no longer necessary), and I saw the test-bed hardware for the Common system (from Boeing in Seattle, I believe) being inventoried and stored in the Vandenberg MPT building.

I have no idea what became of the Phase II APT at Ellsworth, though I know the one here at Offutt sat silent once the Looking Glass aircraft were converted over to the Common system. They finally dismantled it a couple of years before I got here (in '99). I don't know what happened to the trainer itself, but I suspect it went to DRMO.
Spank
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Spank on Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:25 pm

Hi Matt. Wanted to add that I enjoyed your "Memorable Alert" story in the AAFM newsletter (especially the Vette imprint).
Spank
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby AE on Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:40 am

I was at Offutt when the Phase II APT bit the dust. It was auctioned, in place, by DRMO and the whole thing was purchased for a few hundred dollars by someone interested only in the scrap metal in it. A sad end for a grand piece of antiquated equipment with bells, whistles, buzzers, and associated gizmos. I'll never forget that dang punched mylar tape reader--state of the art in the 1950s! AE
ILCS Class 31 / ALCS Class 90-2
490 SMS - 341 SMW/DOTI - 4315 CCTS - 4 ACCS - 2 ACCS
... and damned proud of every single one of my 476 nuclear alerts in SAC!
AE
3 RVs
3 RVs

Return to Airborne Launch Control System