airborne missileer

For general discussion with your fellow SAC PACCS/USSTRATCOM ABNCP Airborne Launch Control System crewdogs. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

airborne missileer

Postby hockey85 on Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:07 pm

Are there still airborne air force missileers onboard the Navy TACAMO aircraft or is that all controlled by the Navy now?
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cancellier on Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:22 am

You really must talk to our illustrious host.
Mike

Deuce 146
321 MW - 1993 - 1997
TOP HAND - 1997 - 2000
PACOM Nuke Guy - 2009
Cancellier

Yes Virginia, there still are AF missileers on the ABNCP

Postby Spank on Fri May 11, 2007 5:09 pm

All six of the guys pulling alerts for STRATCOM are AF missileers, who work for STRATCOM day-to-day, but are owned by 20th AF (625 MOF/ALCS). Those are all Captain billets. The four guys that work in the "schoolhouse" are all current or former missileers as well. We are currently composed of 1 civilian, 1 Lt Col, and 2 Major billets, but in the long run, as those guys leave (except the civilian billet), they will be replaced by the guys pulling alerts now and the slots should transition to Captain billets. The schoolhouse is responsible for ALCS training, all ALCS test missions, being weapon system representatives to all sorts of groups and meetings, and overseeing the Combat Ops Branch (the alert pullers).

The remainder of the ABNCP Battlestaff (7 more positions, including the flag position) are STRATCOM assets and are all jointly manned, although the two enlisted positions are historically AF-manned as well. The Strike Advisor (formerly SIOP Advisor) position is the Deputy of the ALCS crew. Of the 6 Strike Advisors, I think two of the billets are AF Major billets that are usually Missileers. The rest can be from the other services, and a variety of backgrounds.

The flight crew and the comm crew (14 total) are all Navy personnel aboard the E-6B Mercury. TACAMO is one of the two missions of the aircraft (the other being ABNCP), not the name of the aircraft.
Spank
2 RVs
2 RVs

In addition

Postby Spank on Fri May 11, 2007 8:48 pm

If anyone wants more specific details and info about the ALCS system, 625 MOF/ALCS, or how to get a job here, e-mail me.

mailto:andrew.carlson@offutt.af.mil

We generally don't know when we are going to have openings that far ahead of time, but if you are interested in staying on our radar, send a resume to the same e-mail.

I may be biased, but I think this is the best possible follow-on assignment to your missile tour, if you like missiles. And we will always be looking for sharp Captains to come here as ALCS's.
Spank
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Cowboy on Thu May 24, 2007 1:36 am

Any chance that more of the active duty billets will be converted to civilian positions?
321 SMS '81-'85;
ALCS '96-'04
Cowboy

Postby Spank on Thu May 24, 2007 2:50 am

All of the important ones have been converted, you weiner. Go get me an employee's discount at Bel Air.
Spank
2 RVs
2 RVs

Re: airborne missileer

Postby paccs1 on Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:04 pm

Don't know if any of you had the "privilege" of flying with the Navy guys back in '89... Whoooooa buddy. Those boys could put an aircraft on the pavement. Frustrated carrier pilots I guess... They came to 4ACCS to learn to fly the big jets... I heard that they kept snapping the tail off the E-6B when Boeing was testing it. All of them were used to the tight turn they had to make to keep the training wire hanging down on the EC-130. They were a hoot. Never saw one use the manual on how to fly the EC-135...
Jim Gault
MMIII/CDB-105 91SMW/741SMS 91SMW/DOTI 91SMW/DOTM ALCS ORT 89-2 4ACCS
paccs1

ABNCP

Postby Fester on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:08 am

Anyone know if EUCOM is still flying their ABNCP missions? Back in the day, ECJ36 was tasked with supporting that msn...
Fester

Postby Fester on Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:52 pm

Thx
Fester

Postby Ironman on Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:24 am

paccs1 wrote:Don't know if any of you had the "privilege" of flying with the Navy guys back in '89... Whoooooa buddy. Those boys could put an aircraft on the pavement. Frustrated carrier pilots I guess... They came to 4ACCS to learn to fly the big jets... I heard that they kept snapping the tail off the E-6B when Boeing was testing it. All of them were used to the tight turn they had to make to keep the training wire hanging down on the EC-130. They were a hoot. Never saw one use the manual on how to fly the EC-135...

I flew with those guys after they returned to Barbers Point, HI to fly our new E-6A. During that time frame I was also a "Reel Operator" (Dual TWA) on the EQ-130Q and yes there were a few "special" aviators that could really let you know you we were down (on the deck). I thought my seat was going to go through the floor of the aircraft. :? I think they thought is was their special way of saying "We're Home"! But. for most of us enlisted folks it was just more maintenance to be done on the birds (in the Navy, you don't just get to fly or repair a certian system... most are jack of all trades).

We had a "special" aviator that repeatedly rotated (EC-130Q) too quickly and drug the skid plate on the rear of the bird for quite a ways down the runway... I don't think she ever got a feel for that bird.
USN 87-91 Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron Three (VQ-3) & (MoANG) Air Force brat
Ironman
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Ironman on Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:35 pm

History Channel documentary on TACAMO and this includes ALCS Battlestaff.

Omaha News report about Offitt /ALCS This reflected upon TACAMO from a ALCS (Looking Glass) standpoint.

Launch the Alert! Get-r-done...
USN 87-91 Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron Three (VQ-3) & (MoANG) Air Force brat
Ironman
2 RVs
2 RVs

Return to Airborne Launch Control System