Undetected Battery Charger Fire

For general discussion with your fellow Minuteman III crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Currently based at Minot AFB, ND, Malmstrom AFB, MT, and F. E. Warren AFB, WY. Formerly based at Grand Forks AFB, ND. Operational from 17 Apr 1970 to present. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Re: Undetected Battery Charger Fire

Postby Charlie EMT on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:00 pm

njh621 wrote:Ah, ok I misunderstand. I was thinking they had replaced the lead-acid packs with Lithium-ion packs (because Li-ion cells are more efficient at storing charges, but get expensive as the cell gets bigger), and then swapped them back. I guess I forgot that Lithium batteries are different from Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries. I would like to see them go to Li-ion cells, just because they less of a mess to deal with (although they may be more trouble then they are worth).

The whole idea of using batteries to charge batteries seems redudant, but it will increase run-time. If you connect batteries in parallel you get the voltage/amperage of one battery but the runtime of two. If you connect them in series, you get the runtime of one, but the voltage/amperage of two.

Lithium Ions have this thing about heating up and exploding if the heat gets to be too much (worst part), and there's temperature limits - on the high side; if the high temps are violated, the effect is the maximum state of charge is lessened. They're a headache, and frankly if they were installed at the LFs or MAFs, and if I was a DCM, I'd not be sleeping all that well... I say they are a headache - because we've begun using them on Geo Sats, and managing their temperatures is real critical in regards to lifetime and state of charge capabilities. Let them reach an overtemp state and one begins to sweat, whereas using the now old and reliable nickel-hydrogens are much more forgiving....

I am now even more surprised that the LF's are air-tight. Doesn't one have to worry about O2 levels during penetration activities - besides pre-sniffing every time you crack the access hatch?? I'd be afraid entering an LF that hasn't been visited in months...... We had a couple of guys get asphyxiated at KSC when they were in the just-opened aft-end of a shuttle orbiter years ago (that hadn't been opened in a while). I understand EMP all too well, but hasn't anyone developed some sort of EMP protecting metal-mesh screen that could be placed downstream from a good old fashion air filtration device in a system to slowly ventilate the LF (keeps metal screen filter from getting clogged)?? Maybe it's not feasable or something.
90th OMMS EMT 79-81 & 83
90th SMW EMT Instructor 81-83
1000th SOG - DMSP 83-85
COMSAT 85-88
JPL (Galileo MCT) 88-90
JSC (Space Shuttle Instrumentation and Comm Officer) 90-94
GEO Spacecraft Sr. Sys Eng (Orion, Loral Skynet, Telesat) 94-present
Charlie EMT

Postby Ducky on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:33 am

We sealed the sites to prevent people from introducing deadly gases, explosive gases, etc.
341 MMXS EMT may 2007-present
Ducky
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Charlie EMT on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:23 am

Ducky wrote:We sealed the sites to prevent people from introducing deadly gases, explosive gases, etc.

ok - makes sense... I'll buy it in this day and age.

Do you take 1 or 2 guards with you on a maintence job(s)? You don't have to answer that question - point being back in the early 80's, there was a time we had to have 2 cops with us on all trips - yea to because there was some threat made by Kidaffi (sp) who threated to take over a LF - or something in that 'vein' back then. I guess that was the early beginnings of 'change' (aka terrorism). Our biggest worry was the USSR, not some 'punk ass' 3rd world nation run by leaders with diarrea mouths.
90th OMMS EMT 79-81 & 83
1000th SOG - DMSP 83-85
COMSAT 85-88
JPL (Galileo MCT) 88-90
Charlie EMT

Postby hockey85 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:41 am

Charlie EMT wrote:
Ducky wrote:We sealed the sites to prevent people from introducing deadly gases, explosive gases, etc.

Do you take 1 or 2 guards with you on a maintence job(s)? You don't have to answer that question - point being back in the early 80's, there was a time we had to have 2 cops with us on all trips - yea to because there was some threat made by Kidaffi (sp) who threated to take over a LF - or something in that 'vein' back then. I guess that was the early beginnings of 'change' (aka terrorism). Our biggest worry was the USSR, not some 'punk ass' 3rd world nation run by leaders with diarrea mouths.

Depending on the situation, there are Security Forces accompanying the maintenance teams, and there are also mobile fire teams in the missile complex in addition to the flight SRT teams. There are also many security procedures in place. To go into any more detail is infringing upon OPSEC.

Cory
PAX ORBIS PER ARMA AERIA
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Charlie EMT on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:15 am

hockey85 wrote:
Charlie EMT wrote:

Depending on the situation, there are Security Forces accompanying the maintenance teams, and there are also mobile fire teams in the missile complex in addition to the flight SRT teams. There are also many security procedures in place. To go into any more detail is infringing upon OPSEC.

Cory

OPSEC; that's why I stated "you don't have to answer the question". It makes me glad that you observed the rules.

Thanks you guys for keeping and sticking to the rules.
90th OMMS EMT 79-81 & 83
1000th SOG - DMSP 83-85
COMSAT 85-88
JPL (Galileo MCT) 88-90
Charlie EMT

Previous

Return to Minuteman III