LCC types?

For general discussion with your fellow Minuteman III crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Currently based at Minot AFB, ND, Malmstrom AFB, MT, and F. E. Warren AFB, WY. Formerly based at Grand Forks AFB, ND. Operational from 17 Apr 1970 to present. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Re: LCC types?

Postby Nou on Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:25 pm

Cancellier wrote:Yeah, Small ICBM is pretty cool. Wasn't it supposed to have the hot version is the Mk21 RV with a special W87? Anyway, pretty darned cool. But I guess I would rather send my nuclear destruction as a 10- or 12-pack...

I think they cancelled it cause of the name... Midgetman doesn't strike fear like others.
Nou
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Cancellier on Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:36 pm

If you saw the Hardened Mobile Launcher barreling through the desert like something out of Damnation Alley, you would be scared...
Mike

Deuce 146
321 MW - 1993 - 1997
TOP HAND - 1997 - 2000
PACOM Nuke Guy - 2009
Cancellier

Postby Nou on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:04 pm

Cancellier wrote:If you saw the Hardened Mobile Launcher barreling through the desert like something out of Damnation Alley, you would be scared...

True...

Yea, I'm not sure why the mobile launch systems never took off here, the Russians seem to love it, they have them on everything.

Coolest MM launch system (besides rail garrison) would have been the air-launched ones... that was nuts. Granted they probably couldn't have hit anything but cities back then... :lol:
Nou
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby SAC Killer on Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:16 pm

Cancellier wrote:Yeah, Small ICBM is pretty cool. Wasn't it supposed to have the hot version is the Mk21 RV with a special W87? Anyway, pretty darned cool. But I guess I would rather send my nuclear destruction as a 10- or 12-pack...

You're right, it was planned to carry the Mk21, not the 12A.
At AFRPL I was lucky enough to watch a static test of a SICBM rocket motor. That phase of the program had two or three contractors competing. The next phase was going to downselect to one contractor to continue the program. So one company, can't recall which one, built a prototype stage on their own nickel and took it out to AFRPL. The thing seemed tiny compared to the MM 3rd stages we would occasionally fire.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby J Davis on Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:56 am

Nou wrote:
Cancellier wrote:If you saw the Hardened Mobile Launcher barreling through the desert like something out of Damnation Alley, you would be scared...

True...

Yea, I'm not sure why the mobile launch systems never took off here, the Russians seem to love it, they have them on everything.

Coolest MM launch system (besides rail garrison) would have been the air-launched ones... that was nuts. Granted they probably couldn't have hit anything but cities back then... :lol:

"Rail Garrison" was studied for the PK.
Grand Forks 1986-2000
321 OMMS-- EMT
321 SMW-- Team Training / Job Control / QA
447 MS-- EMT Scheduler (446/447/448)
321 MXS-- EMT Scheduler / Site Supervision
791 MXS-- QRM / Production / Mnx Supervision
Fairchild 2000-2005
2 BW / 2SS-- SWM / QA
J Davis
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Nou on Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:42 pm

J Davis wrote:
Nou wrote:

True...

"Rail Garrison" was studied for the PK.

They had rail garrison plans for the Minuteman as well. I don't know if you could exactly call it garrison though since I think the plan proposed using commercial rail lines, where as Peacekeeper I thought had plans for purpose built railroads or something like that.
Nou
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby D Preidis on Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:52 pm

J Davis wrote:"Rail Garrison" was studied for the PK.

They also had "Dense Pack" that would save money and count on fratricide for survivability.
381st SMW - Titan II BMAT, Instructor Shop
321st SMW - MMII CDB (Deuce) Ops
321st SMW/321st OMMS Mechanical Branch Chief
42nd Air Division Safety
Defense Nuclear Agency - Stockpile Operations
D Preidis
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby banjodog on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:29 am

Yeah! I saw the HML when it was undergoing testing at Malmstrom back around '89-90 or so. The thing was parked each night in the VECB vehicles building (3081) for a few weeks and I never got a picture of it!! I worked in the equipment section of VECB at the time. It was a white vehicle with the blackest of black windows.

I did see the HML on the Malmstrom ramp one day (no airplanes at MAFB at the time) and all it was doing was driving - fast - in circles.
341 SMW '87-'94
EMT shop '91-'94 (ILCS)
banjodog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Wickedone on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:01 pm

I think the biggest problem they came across with the Mobile launcher and Rail Garrisons for our missiles is the ease at which they could be compromised by protestors and the like. Unlike the Russians who will run your ass over you stick some people on the rail lines and it'll be our government that will flinch. I suppose you could say that not knowing where the weapons were at any given time on the rail system would provide some securty against that however if our government was a ship it'd sink faster than the Titanic with the ammount of leaks it has regarding sensitive information.
Wickedone

Postby Capt. Bill on Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:04 pm

Boeing was the prime contractor for MM I and a lot of the equipment was tagged "Boeing Aircraft Co". The radio and most of the electronic equipment was tagged "Radio Corporation of America".
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Weapons Loader on Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:29 am

They had to because, while Minuteman II's were no longer on alert, the missiles and bombs were still in the holes and needed to be watched over for Nuclear Surety, security, etc.

What about after the RV and guidance sections were removed? Did guys still have to pull alerts just to watch over the safed, unarmed and untargeted boosters sitting in their silos? I realize this still deals with current ops, not just the Minuteman II deactivation...so if my post gets sent to the land of wind and ghosts, I'll understand.
Anthony Spencer, (M)Sgt, USAF
23 AMXS / 74 Aircraft Maintenance Unit
Moody AFB, GA
Weapons Loader
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby banjodog on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:35 am

Weapons Loader wrote:What about after the RV and guidance sections were removed? Did guys still have to pull alerts just to watch over the safed, unarmed and untargeted boosters sitting in their silos?

Yes. And we MNX types had to keep buttoning up the LF's as if they were going strat alert; i.e. raise the diving board, stow the safety chains, raise the hinged floors & bolt them in the stowed position. The explanation given was "these things won't be safed forever, so we need to do it this way to practice proper pen & backout procedures." Pure silliness if you ask me.

I don't remember if the G&C cans were removed however.
341 SMW '87-'94
EMT shop '91-'94 (ILCS)
banjodog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby SAC Killer on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:04 am

banjodog wrote:
Weapons Loader wrote:What about after the RV and guidance sections were removed? Did guys still have to pull alerts just to watch over the safed, unarmed and untargeted boosters sitting in their silos?

Yes. And we MNX types had to keep buttoning up the LF's as if they were going strat alert; i.e. raise the diving board, stow the safety chains, raise the hinged floors & bolt them in the stowed position. The explanation given was "these things won't be safed forever, so we need to do it this way to practice proper pen & backout procedures." Pure silliness if you ask me.

I don't remember if the G&C cans were removed however.

Even if there was no plan to reactivate the sites, I think it still makes some sense to follow the TO when backing out. That way the next team in, for whatever reason they are there, is going into a known configuration. Much safer for everyone.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby banjodog on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:17 pm

SAC Killer wrote:Even if there was no plan to reactivate the sites, I think it still makes some sense to follow the TO when backing out. That way the next team in, for whatever reason they are there, is going into a known configuration. Much safer for everyone.

We left everything safed and every other team that followed knew it was a safed site (because all of them were), so where's the problem leaving everything in an un-hardened state? That would also be a known configuration. TO changes could have (and should have) been initiated, but never were.
341 SMW '87-'94
EMT shop '91-'94 (ILCS)
banjodog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Weapons Loader on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:32 am

What about after the RV and guidance sections were removed? Did guys still have to pull alerts just to watch over the safed, unarmed and untargeted boosters sitting in their silos?

Newsletters on the afmissileers.org website answered my earlier question in detail, specifically the 351st SMW:

Jan 95 edition;
"The final missile will be removed in May, 1995, which will signal the last crew 'alert' at Whiteman"-351 MW/CC

Apr 95 edition;
"Our last missile procedures trainer was shut down on 20 March.."-351 MW/CC

Jul 95 edition-351 MW timeline
Sep 91-MMII missiles removed from alert,
Oct 92-First booster removed,
Jan 93-First LCF shutdown,
May 93-all 150 warheads removed,
18 May 95-Last booster removed, last LCC shutdown.

So yeah...it seems like Whiteman crews had two years of booster security detail even after the nukes were gone.
Anthony Spencer, (M)Sgt, USAF
23 AMXS / 74 Aircraft Maintenance Unit
Moody AFB, GA
Weapons Loader
2 RVs
2 RVs

Previous

Return to Minuteman III