Silo Names?

For general discussion with your fellow Minuteman III crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Currently based at Minot AFB, ND, Malmstrom AFB, MT, and F. E. Warren AFB, WY. Formerly based at Grand Forks AFB, ND. Operational from 17 Apr 1970 to present. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Re: Silo Names?

Postby Doug Harvey on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:26 pm

As I recall, we had names for some, if not all of our sites.... "Ice Station Lima" was up by the Canadian border, it had artwork featuring penguins... Then there was KILLER (Kilo LCC) with a logo in DymoTape that featured a large knife with dripping blood in place of the "I" in Killer. November was called "NOWHERE", The Big "O" (Oscar) had a logo with crosshairs centered over an outline of the "CCCP" in the middle of the Letter O. Of course, Mike (the SCP) had the launching missile mural that I painted above the bunk, where the launcher door is about to crush the ART. I don't think we ever came up with a name for Mike LCC that stuck... although Maniac, Madness, Megaton, and Mayhem were tossed around a lot.... :lol:
"We have met the enemy, and he is US>" - Pogo
Doug Harvey

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:50 am

No names that I knew of at Whiteman (75-80), but one of the 508th capsules had a poster of a window on the wall beside the bed--a skydiver was passing by.

I note the Whiteman page of these has the 509th and 510th sites reversed. 509th had G.H.J.K.L; 510th had F,I,M,N,O. (Confusion to the enemy!)

Bad Sam
Bad Sam
220 TII alerts under Arizona ('70-75)
107 (36s & 24s) MMM alerts under Missouri ('75-78)
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby Piquet on Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:56 pm

Doug Harvey wrote:"Ice Station Lima" was up by the Canadian border, it had artwork featuring penguins...

I went up to Lima once during a snowstorm and couldn't find the access road. We had to ask some local in Bowbells for directions. If you've ever seen Ice Station Zebra, it looked exactly like that.
Dave Peck, CDB-87
MMIII/CDB 1983-1988 (742 SMS, DOV, DO22)
MMIII/REACT-A 1999-2001 (740 MS)
Piquet
3 RVs
3 RVs

Previous

Return to Minuteman III