WS-133 to REACT changeover questions

For general discussion with your fellow Minuteman III crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Currently based at Minot AFB, ND, Malmstrom AFB, MT, and F. E. Warren AFB, WY. Formerly based at Grand Forks AFB, ND. Operational from 17 Apr 1970 to present. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

WS-133 to REACT changeover questions

Postby Weapons Loader on Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:44 pm

When an LCC was presumably de-alerted for the REACT mod, did another LCC have to pick up the slack and watch over an extra flight of missiles while the mod was being done?

About how long did it take to modify an LCC?

Even after it was done, were REACT and non-REACT flights compatible as far as command and control?
Anthony Spencer, (M)Sgt, USAF
23 AMXS / 74 Aircraft Maintenance Unit
Moody AFB, GA
Weapons Loader
2 RVs
2 RVs

Re: WS-133 to REACT changeover questions

Postby hockey85 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:48 am

The answer to your first question, is yes another LCC picked up that shutdown LCC's flight monitoring and commanding responsibilities. The second question, I'm not sure on. Somebody else on the forums should know. And the 3rd question, I don't see why they wouldn't be compatible. How the weapon system basically worked didnt change.. the different LCC's would just recieve status, send out commands, etc. differently.

Cory
PAX ORBIS PER ARMA AERIA
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TDRSS on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:29 pm

hockey85 wrote:The answer to your first question, is yes another LCC picked up that shutdown LCC's flight monitoring and commanding responsibilities. The second question, I'm not sure on. Somebody else on the forums should know. And the 3rd question, I don't see why they wouldn't be compatible. How the weapon system basically worked didnt change.. the different LCC's would just recieve status, send out commands, etc. differently.

I'm curious to the negative response castlebravo got for asking somewhat operational questions, and the pretty good response that WeaponsLoader got from this topic. I'm big on OPSEC, but unsure to the varying uses of it here. While castlebravo's questions did hit very sensitive topics, this one can branch out to some untouchable areas.

Just a thought,
TDRSS

Nuclear Alert Tally
------------------------------------
Number of Alerts - 320
Number of Misdemeanors - 350
Number of Felonies - 3
Arrests - None
TDRSS
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Cancellier on Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:44 pm

Oh, he has been censored too. It has been a little more subtle. There is more overt self-censoring going on and less post deleting by the mods. I think this community is starting to grow into itself a little better. When it started it was just a bunch of missileers talking. Now that there are non-missileers and the public looking around, the information control is getting better.
Mike

Deuce 146
321 MW - 1993 - 1997
TOP HAND - 1997 - 2000
PACOM Nuke Guy - 2009
Cancellier

Postby TDRSS on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:25 pm

So this may buck that - looked at your signature block.

What happened between 2000-2008? Fall down a rabbit hole?
TDRSS

Nuclear Alert Tally
------------------------------------
Number of Alerts - 320
Number of Misdemeanors - 350
Number of Felonies - 3
Arrests - None
TDRSS
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Cancellier on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:38 pm

Now that you ask, yes...

2000-2003 - SWC-ICBM Flight Test Manager, Chief of the Commanders Action Group, Aide-de-Camp
2003-2004 - HQ AFSPC-Engine Room Force Apps portfolio
2004-2008 - Hq DISA-POLO HAT Program Manager, Executive Assistant to the Director (that would be the Coffee Boy part)

Staff time sucks, so why show it?
Mike

Deuce 146
321 MW - 1993 - 1997
TOP HAND - 1997 - 2000
PACOM Nuke Guy - 2009
Cancellier

Postby Weapons Loader on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:06 am

New question! Not exactly pertaining to the REACT upgrade but in the same ballpark: When Wing I (excluding 564 SMS) replaced its Minuteman IIs with Minuteman IIIs, was there ever an interim configuration of WS-133A+Minuteman III at Wing I that existed before REACT? I'm not sure if WS-133A is the most correct term to use...I'm trying to refer to the pre-REACT, not-Deuce system.
Anthony Spencer, (M)Sgt, USAF
23 AMXS / 74 Aircraft Maintenance Unit
Moody AFB, GA
Weapons Loader
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby banjodog on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:44 pm

Weapons Loader wrote:New question! Not exactly pertaining to the REACT upgrade but in the same ballpark: When Wing I (excluding 564 SMS) replaced its Minuteman IIs with Minuteman IIIs, was there ever an interim configuration of WS-133A+Minuteman III at Wing I that existed before REACT? I'm not sure if WS-133A is the most correct term to use...I'm trying to refer to the pre-REACT, not-Deuce system.

The hardware was substantially the same; that is, very little in the LFs and probably nothing in the LCC's changed. Of course we had to send a new tape load up to each can, but that's all I remember.
341 SMW '87-'94
EMT shop '91-'94 (ILCS)
banjodog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Capt. Bill on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:08 pm

The changeover from MM I to MM MOD involved both the LCCs and the LFs since the missiles were changed from B to either F or G. When the first Mod flight came up it could only monitor it's own missiles but that should not have been a problem since that was the case in MM I anyway.
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby castlebravo on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:50 pm

TDRSS wrote:
hockey85 wrote:The answer to your first question, is yes another LCC picked up that shutdown LCC's flight monitoring and commanding responsibilities. The second question, I'm not sure on. Somebody else on the forums should know. And the 3rd question, I don't see why they wouldn't be compatible. How the weapon system basically worked didnt change.. the different LCC's would just recieve status, send out commands, etc. differently.

I'm curious to the negative response castlebravo got for asking somewhat operational questions, and the pretty good response that WeaponsLoader got from this topic. I'm big on OPSEC, but unsure to the varying uses of it here. While castlebravo's questions did hit very sensitive topics, this one can branch out to some untouchable areas.

Just a thought,

No big thing, most of my questions have been answered.

This thread answered this question..........

castlebravo wrote:At any given time, when a LF is not on alert, for any given reason, is that communicated to higher authority? If so I would assume there is enough target redundancy built into the system to effectively carry out all the missions.

castlebravo wrote:The Atlas and Titan systems incorporated an entrapment area in their entrances to the LCC. Minuteman has no obvious facility of the same nature. Did the relatively large compliment in the MAF above ground preclude the need for an entrapment area, and does the MCC control the elevator?

The Elevator freight access room acts as an entrapment area/elevator controlled by MCC.

castlebravo wrote:I know PK was based exclusively at F.E. Warren, but was it confined to a particular squadron or was it spread out amongst the squadrons and flights?

400th SMS @ FEW - deactivated

castlebravo wrote:How many different ‘alarm sounds’ were/are used in the LCC’s?

all five of the REACT alarms...five is the answer.
castlebravo
2 RVs
2 RVs

Return to Minuteman III