Minot-ers

For general discussion with your fellow Minuteman III crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Currently based at Minot AFB, ND, Malmstrom AFB, MT, and F. E. Warren AFB, WY. Formerly based at Grand Forks AFB, ND. Operational from 17 Apr 1970 to present. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Minot-ers

Postby rkfoos on Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:24 pm

Hey Folks -

Any old Minot heads out there?

Specifically, looking to fill in the gaps on a few folks that I have lost track of from the early 80's (JY Allen, Jim Shudrowitz, etc).

This is Russ Foos, 741st SMS 79-80, DOTI 80-82, DOV 82-84. Let's see where folks are today.

RK
RK Foos, CDB 60
741 SMS '79-'80
91 SMW DOT Dual Qualified '80-'82
91 SMW DOV Dual Qualified '82-'84
rkfoos
3 RVs
3 RVs

Re: Minot-ers

Postby Keith "OBK" D on Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:59 am

Hey Russ,
I can bring you up to speed on a few of the 80s gang. JY Allen is retired and living in New Hampshire. His last position was as a ROTC PAS at UNH and I believe he is in some capacity there at UNH. I lost track of Jack Holt years ago. He went from missiles to AWACS. I was stationed at Ramstein in late 80s and he was passing through and he stayed at my place for an RON. Thats the last I heard from him. I ran into Phil Beard here at Wright-Pat a couple of years ago and he was getting ready to retire. Not sure if he is still in the area. Dave Blalock recently retired and is living in Florida. I hear from him every now and then. Rick Bailey retired and is living in the Norfolk area and working for a defense contractor making frequent trips to Korea. I just heard from Robert Moore and he is working for the sheriffs department (in NC?). Mark Huber received his Phd and teaching at U of Georgia and he retired from the Reserves a couple of years ago. Greg Bayley retired and is working for CSC in the Scott AFB area.
Keith "OBK" Davis
mailto:kgdavis1@aol.com
Minot AFB
1981-1986
740 SMS, DOTI
Keith "OBK" D

Postby rkfoos on Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:37 pm

OB -

Thanks for the update on some of those folks. I had really lost track of JY.

I do know that Ron Unruh is here in ABQ as a contractor working here at Kirtland. Greg Stock is here too at AFOTEC working as a contractor. I know Jim Gottschalk is in C.Springs also as a contractor. I don't know if you remember John Pargeon or not (he did DO22 after the 741), but he is down at Patrick AFB as a contractor.

It is kind of interesting to see where folks end up after so many years.

Take Care.

RK
RK Foos, CDB 60
741 SMS '79-'80
rkfoos
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby NitWitt on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:58 pm

geez .... a lot of names that I had in the MPT when I was an instructor ..... 79-83 was when I was up with the 'Frozen Choosen" .... retired out of Warren in 05 and now living next to the Pacific and surf'n in Redondo Beach CA.

....anyone remember Colonel Roy G. Wallace?

Mike Witt, retired
Nit Witt
Col (ret)

MMIII, Minot, 742d SMS & 91 SMW/DOTI 79-83

GLCM, Greenham Common, 11 TMS & 501 TMW/DOTI 83-86

Missile Ops Staff, Mildenhall, HQ 3AF/DOM 86-88
NitWitt

Postby Keith "OBK" D on Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:01 pm

How could I forget Col Roy "flat-top" Wallace. I was fresh out of IQT at Vandenburg and paired with Mike Reading and had to certify before him. I remember being told by the D022 people to not BS the man as he knew his stuff. He did ask some pretty tough questions.
Here is one of my favorite Wallace stories:
Remember how he wore the taps on his shoes and you could hear him walking down the basement hallway?
Col Wallace had PCS'd out of Minot and about a month or two after he left, we were all in DOTI when we heard the sound of those taps coming down the hallway. Rex Porter proclaims "I swear it sounds like that axxhole Wallce" and just then, he walks into the room. Porter saw his career flash before his eyes. Fortunately for him, Wallace did not say anything.
OBK
Minot AFB
1981-1986
740 SMS, DOTI
Keith "OBK" D

Postby rkfoos on Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:20 pm

OBK, Nit -

Good to hear from you guys! Greg Stock and I were just talking about the two of you the other day.

Speaking of Roy G. - remember your commander upgrade "interview" with him? Remember how you were prepped to sit on the edge of the chair only and then his diatribe on how you were going to be something that he never was - a commander - so don't screw it up.

Either one of you guys ever know where Mike Petersen ended up? Remember Mike, he was the scheduler back then.

Take care and Happy Holidays to all!

RK
RK Foos, CDB 60
741 SMS '79-'80
rkfoos
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby paccs1 on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:47 am

Seems the string has been dormant for quite a while... Having found the board a short while ago I thought I would drop a note here as well. I was in the 741st from 85-89. Caught the tail end of Lt. Col. Andy Knight who I bought a house from in Rapid City when I transfered to 4ACCS; he is still there. Russ Anarde and Roland Nyberg. Anyone remember Dave Hall and where he might be? Some others I have run across recently:

John Cherry was in Knoxville, TN as ROTC PAS at Univ. of Tenn retired shortly after that and is now a golf pro there
Doug Kelly is in Huntsville
Heard Ross Walton and others were in C Springs as Contractors
Dale Small is with Raytheon in Fredricksberg, VA

Anyone know the whereabouts of Darryl Johnson? Mike Runnels? Tony Cotton? Don Shackelford? Emil Abraham?

Jim Gault
Atlanta, GA
Jim Gault
MMIII/CDB-105 91SMW/741SMS 91SMW/DOTI 91SMW/DOTM ALCS ORT 89-2 4ACCS
paccs1

Postby dekelley82 on Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:09 pm

Hey all,

Doug Kelley here...wow, I read the posts yesterday, and most of the names were very familiar! Yes Jim Gault, I am in Huntsville--how'd you know? No word of Dave Hall--when he left Minot he was separating to be a preacher in GA somewhere--you'd best do a search of preachers (or federal inmates) in GA to find him!

I retired in 2006--we wanted to get back east to be closer to family, Huntsville had (and still has) the best job opportunities, so here we are. There are a few missileers here: Craig Prebe, Sam Liburdi, Brandell Majors, and Benard Simelton all work with me. You may know some of these guys, although not Minoters.

I remember you all ....Evans, Bob Notman, Ernie Rosado (my MPT operator back in '82 at IQT), Russ Foos (you must have given ma a check while there-I had 8), Rene Rendon (fellow DOTI Deputy), OBK (many DOTI memories), etc., etc., etc.

Here are some more Minot people I've either seen or heard about:
- Mike Morgan is now the wing CC at FEW--he was the training group CC at VAFB when I was there in 05.
- Frank Wolf was the vice at VAFB in 05 when he hired me onto the staff there...he retired to the DC area.
- We visited Dave Blalock in West Melbourne FL last summer--he's retired-retired--doing nothing, or, in his words, he's a "recreational alcoholic!"
- Larry Brown is a contractor working in Colo Spgs--saw him last fall there.
- Also saw Rick Patenaude in Colo Spgs--he's a contractor there too--retired O-6...see, you CAN recover from being fired from DOTI scripts!
- Jeff Kniesche is a contractor in Colo Spgs too.
- I worked with John Cherry at VAFB in 00-01--he was the PA chief there.
- In 99-00 back at Minot, Dave Blalock was the 91 OSS/DO then CC, I was the 741/DO, Jim Gottschalk was the 742/DO, and Dave Peck was the 740/DO...old home week.
- Dave Peck retired in Omaha--is a contractor in Bldg 500 last I heard.
- When I was the 741/DO, there was a crew Lt who was trained in ROTC at the UNH, by none other than the PAS--JY Allen...that kid had his head on right--BRAVO to JY.
- We still exchange Christmas cards with Jose Delgado and his wife Annie--they got out long ago, after his EWI tour, and live in St Augustine, FL.
- BG Anarde's wife passed away from cancer a couple of years ago--he's retired in Colo Spgs. He was the 91/CC in 97 when I went back there.
- Saw Andy and Barb Knight at a 4 ACCS reunion back in 04 in Rapid City...they're doing fine. Park Owens is there too, but they were out of town for the reunion.
- Roland Nyberg is a contractor in Colo Spgs too--saw him last spring. I still remember his O-6 pinning on--it was at an EA-NOC conference at Site-R--he pinned himself in his hotel room!
- Saw Bruce Alexander at our 25-year Citadel class reunion back in November. He is a contractor doing PA at Andrews AFB.

It was a blast being the DO of my old squadron--alot has changed up there, but alot hasn't, too. The crew members got a kick out of seeing pictures of Lt Kelley in the old scrapbooks the sq still has in the the crew lounge. It sure helped to know all of the back routes to the sites, and remembering alot of the crew procedures from the good ole days got me instant credibility with the crew force there. Blalock and I went through local training inthe new REACT system to get alert qualified (again)...amazing how much of it came back (I know, pretty sick to remember that stuff, but not half of my wife's side of the family!!). By far, our second Minot tour was by far better than the first, probably because we were used to the weather by then. Drinking with Blalock at the club Friday nights helped too.

DEK
Doug Kelley
CDB-87 Oct 82-Feb 83, 741 SMS/91 SMW/DOTI/DOV 83-86, 4 ACCS 87-91, HQ SAC/ACC/AFSPC 91-94,
STRATCOM/J33 94-97, 91 MW/DOT 97-98, 741 MS/DO 98-00, 576 FLTS/CC 00-01, NORAD CMOC 01-05
30 SW Staff 05-06
dekelley82

Postby paccs1 on Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:52 am

Wow Doug... you got around :D

Thanks for the updates... I was out in Denver doing some Biometric Facial Recognition work with RTD -Denver right after Thanksgiving last year and drove down to C Springs and met with Jeff Knieshce. He told me about Huntsville. The work in Biometrics has me traveling all over the world as the Technical Consultant for Bioscrypt. When I get to an area that I know someone, I try to get out to meet them. Drop me a PM if you want more on Facial Recognition access control systems.
Jim Gault
MMIII/CDB-105 91SMW/741SMS 91SMW/DOTI 91SMW/DOTM ALCS ORT 89-2 4ACCS
paccs1

Postby AE on Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:15 am

Hey Doug, thanks for the update! You were back at Vandy a couple years ago and didn't look me up?! :( I miss our flying days in the ACCS. Those were good times and the camaraderie was the best! AE (Greg Ogletree)
ILCS Class 31 / ALCS Class 90-2
490 SMS - 341 SMW/DOTI - 4315 CCTS - 4 ACCS - 2 ACCS
... and damned proud of every single one of my 476 nuclear alerts in SAC!
AE
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby dekelley82 on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:07 pm

Hey Greg,
Sorry I didn't look you up--sir, no excuse, sir! I promise, if I get a VAFB TDY I'll call you, for sure--we'll have to go to the Hitching Post!

Ditto your sentiments about ALCS--those were some good times. We got up to the 4 ACCS reunion back in '04--it was neat to see the area again.

I was admiring your patch collection on the AAFM site--quite impressive. I have a small collection myself, especially form the ACCS days, and am thinking of mounting them to a display board of some kind.

dek
Doug Kelley
CDB-87 Oct 82-Feb 83, 741 SMS/91 SMW/DOTI/DOV 83-86, 4 ACCS 87-91, HQ SAC/ACC/AFSPC 91-94,
STRATCOM/J33 94-97, 91 MW/DOT 97-98, 741 MS/DO 98-00, 576 FLTS/CC 00-01, NORAD CMOC 01-05
30 SW Staff 05-06
dekelley82

Postby AE on Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:47 pm

Thanks for the kind words Doug! I did the same thing with my ALCS-related patches, framed them in a large diamond-shaped frame (to mimic the black dorsal blister on the "C" model EC-135s) with the large Lugger backpatch in the center and the others surrounding it. Looks cool on any wall! Looking forward to your visit. BTW, word is the Hitching Post is opening in Santa Maria (they've had a second in Buellton for years) and it's rumored that the SM location may replace the Casmalia one if successful because the water rates are skyrocketing there and residents of the hamlet are predicting it'll soon be a ghost town if the rates aren't reigned in. (Of course it's virtually a ghost town now, fewer than a hundred people--and that's counting the Hitching Post customers on a busy night!) AE
ILCS Class 31 / ALCS Class 90-2
490 SMS - 341 SMW/DOTI - 4315 CCTS - 4 ACCS - 2 ACCS
... and damned proud of every single one of my 476 nuclear alerts in SAC!
AE
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Missileguy on Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi Russ!

This is Mark Nelson, 742nd 1981-1985, Oscar Flight Dep 1982-1983. How have you been?

I went into the Reserve in '89, been an IMA Historical Officer at Tinker (OC-ALC), Hill (OO-ALC) and now assigned to Air Force Historical Research Agency at Maxwell. I just got hired here at ARPC in Denver (my hometown) as a civilian Historian, so I'll have to retire fromn the Reserve later this year. I hear from Leroy Morgan a few times a year, he lives in Findlay OH and works in higher education. I hear that my old Flight CC, Dave Ridenour, lives in the Denver area too, but haven't been in touch with him yet

Hope we can keep in touch.

Mark
Mark N.
Missileguy

Postby rkfoos on Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:35 pm

Doug, Mark -

Greetings guys!

I do remember both of you; I hope that you weren't subjected to any of my no-notice check scheduling back then.

Mark, you were in the 742nd, right? Do you remeber Ellis Bishop? He went to HQ SAC and did the JSTPS thing and has since retired. Ah, the 742nd; I fondly remember going to Oscar for my last alert. Then I remember one of the 742nd sorties having can problems and giving wierd indications that took us into inhibit A/J which then resulted in sorties going status out. The 742nd, what a place.

Take care guys!

Russ
RK Foos, CDB 60
741 SMS '79-'80
rkfoos
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Missileguy on Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:56 pm

Russ-

Yes, I remember Ellis. He was a good guy. I remember Doug Kelley too. I also see Mike (Nit) Witt on these posts--he was Jimmy Zachry's first MCCC, and they flew out Golf on Zach's first alert, which was MY first alert too (N01). My first commander was Rick Parkinson, I think he was a VMI grad. Later I was crewed with Bill Intihar, Dave Ridenour, Rick Caylor and then Mark Cleeremans. You gave me a check while I was crewed with Mark but it wasn't no-notice though!

Remember the Oscar 01 "UNofficial Record?" You wrote some very pertinent stuff in it on your last alert...Dave Blaylock drew some hilarious cartoons in it too. Howard DeMarco even took the T.O. "Missile Launch" checklist and rewrote it as if it were for the Red Chinese...called it "Glorious Liberating Missile Launch." God, those were the days!

Have a great one!
Mark N.
Missileguy

Next

Return to Minuteman III