Minot-ers

For general discussion with your fellow Minuteman III crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Currently based at Minot AFB, ND, Malmstrom AFB, MT, and F. E. Warren AFB, WY. Formerly based at Grand Forks AFB, ND. Operational from 17 Apr 1970 to present. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Re: Minot-ers

Postby Doug Harvey on Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:52 pm

Ha! I could see Keith in marketing. His hair was too perfect for the military.

...yes Minot has long term effects. Perhaps that's why I'm trying to get a PhD in Clinical Psychology.... that way I can try to cure myself instead of paying someone else.

I wonder if any of the capsule art survived...? You know, the "PROJECT WARRIOR" wall murals like the one I did at Mike LCC with the missile launching out of the tube and the launcher door about to crush the ART...

I know the PURPLE SHAFT at Oscar was painted over before I left. Wing CC wanted the elevator shafts painted, but all I could get at maintenance were cans of white, red, blue, and that latrine green, and not enough of any variety to do the whole job, so we mixed it together. I recall going down the elevator with the DO and he was staring at the wall going by, and suddenly it clicked.... God I thought he was going to have a stroke! Then I would have had another McAdoo on my hands.

Geez, if you didn't have a bleak sense of humor you were toast. It would have resulted in a Full Metal Jacket moment like Recruit Private Pyle...

Anyone hear about or from Joe Whaley? I suppose I could look him up in NCIS, but that might generate some interest from above... How about Thom Blume from the 740th... I know he went to LA AFS after Minot, but then he vanished. Probably went back to being a male prostitute...
"We have met the enemy, and he is US>" - Pogo
Doug Harvey

Postby Piquet on Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:51 pm

Doug Harvey wrote:You know, the "PROJECT WARRIOR" wall murals like the one I did at Mike LCC....................

Project Warrior..........I'd forgotten what a dumb idea that was. I was in DO22 with Rick Bailey, Bill Castle, and Wayne Dale, and we basicall took two weeks off to do construction. They thought it would save money and be a morale booster by not hiring a real construction team, but they let a bunch of idiots like us put up ceiling tiles, drywall, etc. It's a wonder that place was ever cleared for classified after we were done.
Dave Peck, CDB-87
MMIII/CDB 1983-1988 (742 SMS, DOV, DO22)
MMIII/REACT-A 1999-2001 (740 MS)
Piquet
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Doug Harvey on Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:38 pm

In the squadrons we referred to is as project WAR-LIKE because it was all appearance and no substance. Just like leather jackets for aircrews. Remember the two-story outhouse poster at November? Right next to the commode. The "ground" floor was labeled "crews" and the top floor was labeled "staff".
"We have met the enemy, and he is US>" - Pogo
Doug Harvey

Postby hatrask on Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:53 am

Alan Trask here - great to remember all of you I served with at Minot.

I was wondering if anybody has heard from my first 741st Hotel crew partner Forrest Bostelman, or classmates from Vandenberg Bob Drukenmiller and Mike Cozort? I hear from Steve and Nena Barron every Christmas.

I went from Minot to Ellsworth in MMII maintenance, then to SAC IG, HQ AF, was deputy support group commander at Loring, then went to DIA (retired in 98, became a civilian at DIA), now work in ODNI.

Tom Reagan worked around the corner from me when the ODNI offices were at Langley a couple of years ago.

Alan Trask
hatrask

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:54 am

Saw the post on Col Wallace. OY! I was at 15AF then, and Dick Duncan came to work for me. Anyone know what happened to him?

Bad Sam
Bad Sam
220 TII alerts under Arizona ('70-75)
107 (36s & 24s) MMM alerts under Missouri ('75-78)
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby MajorG1000 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:21 am

I think it's time for an update of the Minot-ers.
My wife and I recently left South Dakota and now live outside of Chicago. My wife Joann is a Palliative Care Physician and is setting up the Palliatve Care/Hospice Clinic for Advocate Hospital Systems in Chicago. My oldest daughter Sarah is getting married in November to her long time beau in Philadelphia. My younger daughter Zoey is a junior in college in Minneapolis. She attends MCAD (Minneapolis College of Art and Design) and is going to be a photographer. As for me, I am fully retired. I developed a chronic inner ear condition which gives me balance issues, so I no longer work. I do however collect and restore Triumph Sports Cars, and currently own 3 of them. I commissioned a friend of mine to draw a Minuteman III, and the prints came out very well. He does a lot of historical artwork and interviews what he calls "Old Guys and Their Planes".
If you are interested you can see his work at www.johnmollison.com . It's been a couple years since most of you guys have posted here, what's new?

Bob Groman.
CDB-63 742 SMS DMCCC/MCCC 1980 - 1983
ACP Qualified 1983
91 DOTI Dual Qualified 1983 - 1984
91 SMW Staff 1985
4 ACCS/ALCS 1986
44 SMW/DCM Staff 1986-1988
321 Alerts/15 Standboard Evaluations
MajorG1000
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby Batman on Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:36 pm

I figure it's time for me to come out of the hole as well. I was at Hotel the entire time at Minot. Aside from various escapades on the road to Golf, I remember getting the bright idea to "spit shine" the capsule while it was quiet at night, prior to the open house.

My wife Martha and I made friends with Andy Knight at Ellsworth when I was in CTT there - we were the ones with the twin girls. I think he was a Captain then. If anyone has contact with him please send our regards. I got out in 77 and moved to Maryland. I worked for various Government contractors and Orbital Sciences Inc. until I retired in 2011. I saw earlier in the thread that someone was at the F-16 SPO; I worked on the ARINC Research Corp. LCC contract for them in the early days. I remember several conferences at Nellis and at GD-FW. Good times.

The last and longest gig I had was with the Under Secretary of Defense, Policy for 11 years, starting as an IT Security type and ultimately the only contractor IA Manager in the Pentagon. I changed companies three times to keep working there. I also compiled the OSD SARs for years, if that rings bells with anyone. And yeah, I was sitting in training class around 100 yards from where the plane hit the Pen on 9-11. Crew training really helped mentally with reconsitiution in the days and weeks following that and with the Computer Security briefing for the first group headed to Baghdad following that (OEF, I think).

Anyway, I'm looking for any of my contemporaries if they're still around and on here. Minuteman dates are in my sig.
Bill
Retired IA Raconteur
44 MIMS - CTT 311 69-72
3362 IS (Stateside tour) 72-74
741 SMS HO-TEL Flight 74-77
Pentagon (5E413) - 9-11-01
Batman
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby rkfoos on Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:49 pm

Russ Foos here. Alright, here is my full story. After doing the Minot thing as shown in the sig block, I went off to AFIT for a Masters in Space Ops. Unfortunately, got a space ops AFSC out of that. Graduated from AFIT and went to AFOTEC as a space test manager. 4 years later the space assignment toads wanted to send me to Thule since I hadn't had a remote yet; I said Minot yes, Thule no. Got out and did the contractor thing working for both AFOTEC and SDIO/BMDO for about 20 years total. Then we had an AFOTEC commander that didn't like contractors so he converted all of the positions to civil service. I made the switch, losing about 20% in salary in the process, and have survived for going on 5 years now. Still working operational test of everything the AF develops and now run the training division. Been in Albuquerque the whole time; it grows on you.
RK Foos, CDB 60
741 SMS '79-'80
91 SMW DOT Dual Qualified '80-'82
91 SMW DOV Dual Qualified '82-'84
rkfoos
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:51 am

I spent 33 months there in my first assignment. Enjoyed the heck out of it. ABQ is a great place, or was, 45 years ago.
Bad Sam
220 TII alerts under Arizona ('70-75)
107 (36s & 24s) MMM alerts under Missouri ('75-78)
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby Batman on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:33 pm

I agree, ABQ isn't bad at all. I spent some time there when I did some contract work in the Production Complex for DOE. I enjoyed it.
Bill
Retired IA Raconteur
44 MIMS - CTT 311 69-72
3362 IS (Stateside tour) 72-74
741 SMS HO-TEL Flight 74-77
Pentagon (5E413) - 9-11-01
Batman
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby bobmorning on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:34 pm

What a blast from the past!!

This Bob Morningstar, 741 SMS, then DOT, 1986-1989.

I ran into Bob "Skirt" Walker in the Pentagon a few years ago.

I retired from the USAFR in 2011 as an O-5. My last assignment was Senior Watch Officer in the NMCC Pentagon, working for DISA.

Minot sure has had their share a bad press lately.

Bob M.
bobmorning

Postby hatrask on Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:05 am

Just a short update on my status since I last posted in 2012.

I retired from Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) in May 2013. The main reason was the behavior of certain ODNI senior managers.

Dan Scott, the Deputy Assistant Director of National Intelligence for Human Capital (DADNI/HC) added an unauthorized/unethical/illegal review to my performance report - which had closed out before he was hired into my chain of command.

The review was inherently inappropriate because Mr. Scott was never my supervisor's supervisor - my supervisor left to go to OSD before he was hired. Since he was retired Air Force, his action could not have been through ignorance of performance reporting regulations. His action was the equivalent of a newly reported squadron commander changing a closed-out OER completed before he took command.

Deborah Kircher - his boss - who was the Assistant Director of National Intelligence for Human Capital (ADNI/HC), supported or directed his actions and later tried to replace Dan Scott's unauthorized endorsement with her after-the-fact endorsement to the same report.

I received no help from ODNI IG, and the Director of National Intelligence, Gen Clapper, sent the grievance I filed with him to ODNI HR to investigate. ODNI/HR had aided and abetted the unethical - perhaps even illegal - performance report aberrance.

The irony is that the ADNI/HC - also known as the Chief Human Capital Officer (CHCO) - provides oversight and guidance for IC agencies' performance reporting programs, and my responsibility at the time was to lead that effort.

I decided life was too short to continue putting up with such ridiculosity, so I retired completely. Brenda and I took a cruise to several Greek islands and visited Venice and Rome this spring and plan on more travel in the future - Ireland, Spain, and Australia are on our list.

Alan Trask
hatrask

Postby MajorG1000 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:44 pm

Dang Alan, that sounds like a bad ride at the end of your career. One wonders where all the ethics we so prized as officers and missileers has gone.

Bob Groman
CDB-63 742 SMS DMCCC/MCCC 1980 - 1983
ACP Qualified 1983
91 DOTI Dual Qualified 1983 - 1984
91 SMW Staff 1985
4 ACCS/ALCS 1986
44 SMW/DCM Staff 1986-1988
321 Alerts/15 Standboard Evaluations
MajorG1000
4 RVs
4 RVs

Previous