Old Crew Bears

For general discussion with your fellow Minuteman III crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Currently based at Minot AFB, ND, Malmstrom AFB, MT, and F. E. Warren AFB, WY. Formerly based at Grand Forks AFB, ND. Operational from 17 Apr 1970 to present. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Postby Bob N on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:55 am

Wow, this has been a "long" thread. I finally heard from Mark V. Seems he has been out since 92.

One of the things I regret is tossing my old TO. What did we call that thing (at least in polite company)? Dash-1? I joined a missile organization but they haven't found a MMIII-CDB TO to scan in yet.

So has the 742nd produced any Generals? (from those of us there in the 80s?) Colonels?
Bob N

-16 CDB TO

Postby Macula on Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:20 pm

Bob N.

I donated my -16 (CDB) and -22 to the Malmstrom Museum on base.

U might check with them to see if they will let you scan it.

Macula

CDB 183 (Last CDB EWO Cert @ Malmstrom)
Macula

Postby Hollywood on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:00 am

Don't know about Generals...But all three OGs right now were on crew in the 80s (~ 86-90)

Greg Tims @ Minot
Mike Fortney @ Warren
Scott Gilson @ Malmstrom

Dang I am proud of those boys! Seems like old Col Gosling and Howdy Doody were a lot older!

BH
Hollywood

Re: Old Crew Bears

Postby Crewdog on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:50 pm

Busdriver - there was a Gary Voorhees at FEW, but it sounds like he was well before you, since he dates back to the primordial missile days with me in the late 70's and early 80's.

In 82 we started the upgrades to the AFSATCOM system in the capsules, and the place was crawling with Boeing dudes. Some were okay, but some were just arrogant. We told one of them that every now and then we would get a random printout for a CLIP command. He told us what fools we were because when they upgraded to MMIII that all the componants and connections for that command had been removed..."it's impossible" he said...until one spit out while he was there. "It's impossible" he reiterated as he scratched his head and stared at the printout...but there it was. He conceded the fact and said they would have to look into it.
400 SMS - FEW 78 - 82
71 TMS - Florennes 85 - 86
Crewdog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby SAC Killer on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:42 pm

Crewdog wrote:In 82 we started the upgrades to the AFSATCOM system in the capsules, and the place was crawling with Boeing dudes. Some were okay, but some were just arrogant. We told one of them that every now and then we would get a random printout for a CLIP command. He told us what fools we were because when they upgraded to MMIII that all the componants and connections for that command had been removed..."it's impossible" he said...until one spit out while he was there. "It's impossible" he reiterated as he scratched his head and stared at the printout...but there it was. He conceded the fact and said they would have to look into it.

Had a similar problem with SAC HQ. When they put the Minuteman Power Processors into El Forko Grande (early 80s), the things were giving us all sorts of weird status. It was costing us dearly because standby power problems were reportable as "partial mission capable" and faults were setting faster than our teams could fix (normally by resetting the box; nothing wrong with the diesel). I remember at one point we had more than 40 sites listed PMC for this and SAC was going nuts. The TO required us to notify SAC when we got indications that were not shown in the TO. It happened a lot. "That's impossible," they said. "No it isn't," we said. At the same time, we were having problems with the diesel start batteries, which would evaporate the electrolyte almost as fast as we could put it in. "You aren't filling them right," they said. "Yes we are," we said. They were casting all sorts of aspersions on our maintenance abilities. It got pretty bad. After all, potential loss of face was involved. Our Wing/CC (the late Barry Horton) got a really nasty letter from the SAC/LG. I saw it and couldn't believe a general would send such a letter.

So finally SAC sent a team to the base. Hunting witches, I suspect. When a team found a site with the "impossible" MPP indications on it, we told them to close the site without touching the box. We helo-ed the SAC guys out and made them see it with their own eyes. On the same trip they watched our techs add electrolyte to some batteries. A couple days later we went back to the site and sure enough, the electrolyte was low. So we had our moral victory and they changed the TO.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby Crewdog on Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:05 am

Our Boeing guy didn't make a big deal about or funky indications once he saw them, he was as puzzled as we were. But completely I understand what you are saying about the engineers seeming to have more credibility than the guys who operated and baby sat the systems year after year. Hell they just designed it and walked away until it was upgrade time. I don't think any of the engineers could say that they would wake out of a dead sleep if the pitch from the MG changed or there was a strange vibration...but what did we know, we only lived down there!
400 SMS - FEW 78 - 82
71 TMS - Florennes 85 - 86
Crewdog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby paccs1 on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:00 am

These are some names I haven't heard in a while...
Was at Minot in the 741SMS from 85-89 under Knight, Anarde, and Nyberg. First MCCC was Dave Hall. Was a "volunteer" for the missile basement self help project. The good old days... Remember "the year of the SAC alert force"... Hell, we got radios in the crew vehicles.

Anybody heard about Dave Hall? Would also like info on George Crawford from FEW and Bob McIntyre, I think he was at GF but the memory isn't what it used to be. I was with Bob at 4ACCS. Any other Minot guys from 85-89 on here? How about 4ACCS from 89 - 92?

Jim Gault
Atlanta, GA
Jim Gault
MMIII/CDB-105 91SMW/741SMS 91SMW/DOTI 91SMW/DOTM ALCS ORT 89-2 4ACCS
paccs1

Postby Goes2Fast on Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:02 am

Just found this site! Really interesting to hear some of the old names. Lost touch with most. I'm Darrell Woods, Minot '84-'89 (742/DOV/DO22), on to CCTS and then AFIT/EWI. Biggest career mistake was thinking missiles were going to die completely and going EWI. Got to my first contracting job and six months later the PR to Major was due. While my missile record got me promoted, it was without a DP and therefore no ACSC slot. Figured being prior enlisted, enough time in I might as well bail as LtCol would likely be the top for me from that time on. Man, I don't know about you guys, but I still miss it. Oh well, life after retirement for me has been in health care as an Administrator for HCR-ManorCare. A far cry from the missile days, but it pays the rent and lets me play with cars. A couple of names some of you may remember...John Weaver (I think the 740th) lived down the street from me in Dayton, OH until a year ago. He retired here as I did, but last year he built a log home on Barren River Lake in Kentucky and works for for an IT contractor, mostly from home. Dennis Fry was here for awhile in the mid-90s, went to Israel. He might be one that will/has made General...sharp guy. Tony Dunbar (I think he was at FE or Malmstrom starting in '85). He and I were at a University of Kentucky football game this past Saturday. He also retired and now works for the Bluegrass Army Depot near Lexington, KY. He spent some time after missiles in Iraq in what sounds like some pretty dangerous situations. Bill Sims (742), been a few years but he sent me a copy of his book from his time in hostile environment when he was in Bosnia. Mike Razor, Ellsworth guy, ended up becoming some sort of cop in KY. Went to the State Police Academy but worked as a plain clothes cop for the Governor or something like that. I think he may still be in Eastern Kentucky. Kevin Furlong (742) stopped by once quite a few years ago on his way to Germany, haven;t heard from him since. If anyone's coming through Dayton, the number's listed. Always good to see a Rough Rider.
D. Woods/Class CDB 101
9TIS Langley, VA 76-80
ROTC, 80-84
742SMS/91DOV/91DO22 84-89
4315CCTS 89-93
EWI 93-94
F-16/F-15 SPO Wright Pat 94-97
Retired (but not really)
Goes2Fast
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby banjodog on Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:11 am

SAC Killer wrote:Had a similar problem with SAC HQ. When they put the Minuteman Power Processors into El Forko Grande (early 80s), the things were giving us all sorts of weird status. It was costing us dearly because standby power problems were reportable as "partial mission capable" and faults were setting faster than our teams could fix (normally by resetting the box; nothing wrong with the diesel).

Minuteman Power Processor (MPP) = More Power Problems! :D
341 SMW '87-'94
EMT shop '91-'94 (ILCS)
banjodog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby bobmorning on Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:23 pm

Wow, a past from the past. I stumbled upon this site today while doing some research on old EAM alarm sounds. This site brings back memories of Minot from 1986-1989. For those that don't remember, I was in the 741 with Lt Col Anarde then moved on to DOT. Was part of the Missile Comp team in 88 with Bob Walk and the others.

I'm still in the AF as a reservist. I'm working in the National Military Command Center as a Senior Communications Watch Officer. Great job, we originate the EAMs. So now I've seen both ends of the EAM pipelline! I'll check in later.

I've run into a few missileer over the years here at the Pentagon, many of the Emergency Action officers that I work with are ex-crew dogs also.

Bob Morningstar, Lt Col, USAFR
bobmorning

Postby Piquet on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:22 pm

Bob Morningstar!

A blast from the past. I was in 742nd, DOV, and DO22 from 83-88. Crewed with Chuck Acree (now in Las Vegas), Evans Jacobson, Dave Blalock as a deputy; Bob Walk, Kyle Charles, Billy Millwee, and Fred Devine as a commander. Good to see some old names.
Dave Peck, CDB-87
MMIII/CDB 1983-1988 (742 SMS, DOV, DO22)
MMIII/REACT-A 1999-2001 (740 MS)
Piquet
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Goes2Fast on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:39 am

Dave, still keep up with fast Freddy Devine. He spent MANY years in Minot after retiring and worked at the college there. Betty became a teacher and they finally moved south to North Carolina a number of years ago. Last I heard their son Brandon was still living in ND. Billie Millwee was a name I hadn't thought of in a long time.
D. Woods/Class CDB 101
9TIS Langley, VA 76-80
ROTC, 80-84
742SMS/91DOV/91DO22 84-89
4315CCTS 89-93
EWI 93-94
F-16/F-15 SPO Wright Pat 94-97
Retired (but not really)
Goes2Fast
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Piquet on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:35 pm

I received a few e-mails from Billy Millwee just this summer. He lives in Austin, TX. Sounds like he's having a good time. He was a good crew partner.
Dave Peck, CDB-87
Piquet
3 RVs
3 RVs

Re:

Postby bhboyd on Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:29 pm

Busdriver wrote:I was in charge of MPTs at Warren...the Boeing folks were fairly decent, their boss was an old Chief so was pretty laid back and knew what was going on. The folks working for him were union with a capital "U" so that took some getting used too.

For some reason Vorhis (sp") sounds like a familiar time to me. Did he do any time at Warren after his first tour? I was there from 93-97.

Yeah, the name is familiar to me, too, but for some reason I'm thinking that ours spelled his name 'Vorhees'. Strange.

I was in the MPT shop for about 6 mo after I got off crew, and my memories of the Boeing folks is the same as yours...
bhboyd

Re: Re:

Postby Piquet on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:48 pm

bhboyd wrote:Yeah, the name is familiar to me, too, but for some reason I'm thinking that ours spelled his name 'Vorhees'.

Seems to me that there were two different crewmembers.........one was Mark Vorhis and one was Gary Vorhees.
Dave Peck, CDB-87
Piquet
3 RVs
3 RVs

PreviousNext

Return to Minuteman III