Old Crew Bears

For general discussion with your fellow Minuteman III crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Currently based at Minot AFB, ND, Malmstrom AFB, MT, and F. E. Warren AFB, WY. Formerly based at Grand Forks AFB, ND. Operational from 17 Apr 1970 to present. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Old Crew Bears

Postby Bob N on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:53 pm

My first MCCC was a then 1Lt Mark Voorhis. He made Captain and then moved on. Anybody heard of him? This was at Minot AFB, ND from 83 -88 (well, that's how long I was there.) I was in what was then the 742 Strategic Missile Squadron.
Bob N

Minot

Postby sorichar on Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:38 pm

Hiya!

I was in the 740th from Dec 86 to Jan 91. Voorhis sounds familiar but can't say for certain. My 1st and only commander was John Simmons. John separated from the Air Force after his tour at Minot, he ended up going home to Syracuse New York.
I was a cross-flow from Systems Command, so I ended up upgrading to commander after 6 months.

Scott Richard
sorichar

Postby Bob N on Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:15 pm

Voorhis and I were in the 742nd. Mark was a BIG guy. I think I remember Simmons (tall, thin?)

Then I become a commander. Bill Tongue was my first deputy...I think...too long ago to remember.

Then I was sent to SOS. When I got back I was offered a chance to leave crew duty early and work for the MPT. I eventually was in charge of the branch and responsible for the Boeing turn over of MPT maintenance.
Bob N

Postby Dav on Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:43 am

were the boeing guys cranky and irritable back then too?
Dav
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Spank on Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:01 pm

Hell, the first Boeing folks at Minot always seemed to be in a good mood. At least some of them were hired from the enlisted troops that were already doing the job. The Chief-guy used to bring in a crock pot with soup or stew every Friday night. It made it really nice if you got stuck with a friday night trainer.

I was in DOT in 90 and 91, and in the 741st before that.
Spank
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Bob N on Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:29 pm

The Boeing transition/hand over happened before I left in 88. One of my Airmen left the AF to go work for the contractor. She got an early out. Very smart and attractive young lady.

There were some problems with the changeover but I feel that it was mainly a learning curve--not to mention the antique nature of the equipment and their need to reverse engineer parts...because orginal parts were no longer legal to produce or something like that. It was a long time ago to me.

I was always amazed at the "power" of the computers in the weapon system and also in the MPT. I think in those days my Atari 800 had more power. If I remember correctly we were using a core made up of wires and doughnuts or something like that.
Bob N

John Simmons

Postby sorichar on Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:05 pm

LOL! Nope, John Simmons was tall but he was anything but skinny. He was an active body builder! When he drove cross country to Vandenberg for training, he carried his barbells with him and would pull over to the side of the road and work out!
ex-Cavepilot
sorichar

Hey Spank!

Postby sorichar on Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:14 pm

Wow! Are you a blast from the past! I remember you in DOT! I never left the dear old 740th, just line swine for my time at Minot. You were a class or two behind me at Vandenberg if I recall correctly. My deputies were: John Armantrout, Joe Dennis, Al Webster, Dan Nyberg, Kevin Barker, and Kevin Rozelski (sp?).
ex-Cavepilot
sorichar

Postby Missileguy on Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:05 pm

Bob N.--

I was in CDB 77 at VAFB, at Minot from Nov 81-Jul 85. I was in the 742nd too..flight dep for Oscar, and pulled most of my alerts at November and Lima.

Mark Voorhis arrived the summer after me. He was a BIG guy from Piqua, Ohio. haven't heard from him since I got off EAD. Been in the Reserves since 1989 and am now an IMA Historian at AFHRA at Maxwell.

Drop me a note and we'll chat.

LTC Mark Nelson
Mark N.
Missileguy

Postby rendonrg on Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:01 pm

Mark Voorhis and a handful of us went through the AFIT MBA program (University of North Dakota). I left Minot in '86 on my way to FE Warren. Lost touch of him since then.

Rene Rendon
Lt Col, Ret.
Minot AFB
'82-'86
740 SMS
91 SMW/DOT
rendonrg

Postby Busdriver on Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:50 am

I was in charge of MPTs at Warren...the Boeing folks were fairly decent, their boss was an old Chief so was pretty laid back and knew what was going on. The folks working for him were union with a capital "U" so that took some getting used too.

For some reason Vorhis (sp") sounds like a familiar time to me. Did he do any time at Warren after his first tour? I was there from 93-97.
ILCS 129...a living legend in my own mind.
Busdriver
2 RVs
2 RVs

Re: Old Crew Bears

Postby ecjacobs on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:58 am

Bob N.

Wow, Mark Voorhis. There is a name I haven't heard in awhile. Mark and I went through IQT together, and we shared a kitchen in the BOQ for maybe 18 months. I could tell you stories. But then you were crewed with him so you would know. :D

I was at Minot from Feb 82 to Oct 85, so our paths must have crossed. I was in the 742nd but spent most of my life on OA. If its not being to forward, could I ask your last name?

Evans Jacobson
Post Tenebras Lux
ecjacobs

Mark? Is that you?

Postby ecjacobs on Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:02 am

I was in CDB 77 at VAFB, at Minot from Nov 81-Jul 85. I was in the 742nd too..flight dep for Oscar, and pulled most of my alerts at November and Lima.

LTC Mark Nelson

The Mark Nelson who shared an apartment with Leroy Morgan? Mark, is that you?

Evans Jacobson
Post Tenebras Lux
ecjacobs

Yep, Evans, it IS me!

Postby Missileguy on Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:39 pm

Hi Evans!

Yes, I'm the very same guy who shared that apartment with Leroy. I recently thought about you because Kim and I met someone who knows you...Jane McGill, who went to college with you and then went to GLCM as a PA officer. She and Pat are members of our church in Littleton. How's your wife doing?
Mark N.
Missileguy

Postby Capt. Bill on Tue May 23, 2006 4:05 am

Minot AFB in the 80s? I got you all beat. I was in the 742nd from 1969 to 1972. Went in the AF as a 2nd Lt. in 1969 and to Chanute and Vandenberg for training. Started as DMCCC in MM I and upgraded to MCCC after I made 1st Lt. Then I moved to MM III after the last MM I was shut down in the 742nd. Since all the new 2nd Lt.s were coming into the 740th or 741st because of the MM III mod, the 742nd only had 1st Lt.s Some one in the other squadrons complained that no one in the 742nd was pulling ABO (no 2nd Louies remember) so I had to pull ABO duty after making it to 1st.

I pulled most of my alerts at November and Oscar. Oscar was nice because it was close but that also meant you got all the visitors. Oscar 06 was the training LF so you always had a MIMs team out there too.
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Minuteman III