el forko grande

For general discussion with your fellow Minuteman III crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Currently based at Minot AFB, ND, Malmstrom AFB, MT, and F. E. Warren AFB, WY. Formerly based at Grand Forks AFB, ND. Operational from 17 Apr 1970 to present. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Re: el forko grande

Postby Tommy33 on Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:56 pm

There was an MMT training class in the container. There was one individual that was in the cab just a breif moment before the boom smashed upon it.. The story as told by the instructor was quite interesting. If anyone ever knew Jeff Wills, you would know he was a hell of a talker anyhow. Good guy though. I enjoyed working for him.
564th EMT Team Chief
564th TTB Instructor
Cross Training into EOD
Tommy33
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby NitWitt on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:05 pm

anybody remember the details of the Grand Forks crew dog who was robbing banks when he came off alert to pay his gambling debt? must been the very early 80s ......
Nit Witt
Col (ret)

MMIII, Minot, 742d SMS & 91 SMW/DOTI 79-83

GLCM, Greenham Common, 11 TMS & 501 TMW/DOTI 83-86

Missile Ops Staff, Mildenhall, HQ 3AF/DOM 86-88
NitWitt

Postby Crewdog on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:06 pm

NitWitt wrote:anybody remember the details of the Grand Forks crew dog who was robbing banks when he came off alert to pay his gambling debt? must been the very early 80s ......

I seem to remember there was another post thread about this somewhere on this site, it's either in the coffee house or happy hour, sorry I don't remember the topic
400 SMS - FEW 78 - 82
71 TMS - Florennes 85 - 86
Crewdog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby hockey85 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:51 pm

PAX ORBIS PER ARMA AERIA
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JerryDHj on Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:43 am

Both good links for the story--Dave (the bank robber) was my neighbor--we both lived on South March.

Another story about the fellow taking the VCRs from Target--he and his deputy we headed out to, I believe, E-O--they came over a rise in the road and ran into a herd of sheep--killed a few (don't remember the actual numbers) out right, but also put a few others that were injured out of their misery by hitting them in the heads with a tire iron and hammer--that incident really affected him--and of course, the crew was the butt of many jokes.

Jerry
JerryDHj

Postby D Preidis on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:17 pm

JerryDHj wrote:Both good links for the story--Dave (the bank robber) was my neighbor--we both lived on South March.

Jerry

Before we found out we were going to do my follow-on maintenance tour there and bought a house in GF we lived at 1206D South March for just over three years.

Small world.
381st SMW - Titan II BMAT, Instructor Shop
321st SMW - MMII CDB (Deuce) Ops
321st SMW/321st OMMS Mechanical Branch Chief
42nd Air Division Safety
Defense Nuclear Agency - Stockpile Operations
D Preidis
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby JerryDHj on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:43 pm

Before we found out we were going to do my follow-on maintenance tour there and bought a house in GF we lived at 1206D South March for just over three years.Small world. ****It is a small world--we were in 1208. We were shown four houses and selected 1208 because of the big rock in the backyard--the kids thought it was a great play thing.****Jerry
JerryDHj

Postby Daninfowar on Tue May 26, 2009 6:44 pm

I was at The Forks 1978-83 (line MCCC in the 448SMS with Mark Hintermeyer as my Dep, then DOTI and eventually as Senior Instructor, then Chief of EWO TRaining) and I remember all of these incidents and others very well!

-Dave Spruell the Bank Robber (we coached soccer together)
-The Helicopter Pad Changeover (with George Orbin and a forgotten Dep as the off going crew and Bob McIntyre and Mark Hanna as the oncoming crew; both George and Dave were in my CCTS class at the 4315th)
-The day the B-52 blew up (with 5 dead): I ran the battle staff during that sad event
-The back-to-back P5 messages generated by NORAD's incompetence (I was Chief of EWO Training and had to respond to both the immediate document repercussions and the rumored failure of an entire squadron at FEW to react properly)
-The Warrior of the North: Barry Horton did me the HUGE favor of picking the other capt in DO22, Ron Bloss, to be his exec and left me as the Chief of Training, thus enabling me to go to SAC and saving me from hundreds of hours of agony execing for him; a sad fate for a brilliant but troubled man, who killed himself in 1995 or 96)
-Our 448SMS mascot, a real stuffed Bald Eagle that we put in a display case with the sq emblem; what happened to it when the wing closed down?

Dan Kuehl
kuehld@ndu.edu
Daninfowar

Postby Daninfowar on Tue May 26, 2009 6:44 pm

I was at The Forks 1978-83 (line MCCC in the 448SMS with Mark Hintermeyer as my Dep, then DOTI and eventually as Senior Instructor, then Chief of EWO TRaining) and I remember all of these incidents and others very well!

-Dave Spruell the Bank Robber (we coached soccer together)
-The Helicopter Pad Changeover (with George Orbin and a forgotten Dep as the off going crew and Bob McIntyre and Mark Hanna as the oncoming crew; both George and Dave were in my CCTS class at the 4315th)
-The day the B-52 blew up (with 5 dead): I ran the battle staff during that sad event
-The back-to-back P5 messages generated by NORAD's incompetence (I was Chief of EWO Training and had to respond to both the immediate document repercussions and the rumored failure of an entire squadron at FEW to react properly)
-The Warrior of the North: Barry Horton did me the HUGE favor of picking the other capt in DO22, Ron Bloss, to be his exec and left me as the Chief of Training, thus enabling me to go to SAC and saving me from hundreds of hours of agony execing for him; a sad fate for a brilliant but troubled man, who killed himself in 1995 or 96)
-Our 448SMS mascot, a real stuffed Bald Eagle that we put in a display case with the sq emblem; what happened to it when the wing closed down?

Dan Kuehl
kuehld@ndu.edu
Daninfowar

Postby Daninfowar on Wed May 27, 2009 2:46 am

Ah, the vagaries of memory loss. The oncoming MCCC in the "Helicopter Pad Changeover" wasn't McIntyre, it was Bob Wilcox. I know because he was my first flight commander (November Flight) and we bowled together. Bob and Mary Wilcox...good people. Bob's mistake--and it killed his career--was in not instantly recognizing when he saw Orbin and his Dep waiting for the chopper that he needed to immediately--not one nanosecond later--call everyone in SAC to report what had happened. By waiting, Bob and his Dep doomed themselves.
Daninfowar

Postby Cancellier on Wed May 27, 2009 8:23 am

The eagle was still there when I left the 448th in '97. Hope it didn't go to the base museum, because, get this, THEY SOLD THE BASE MUSEUM to one of the Indian tribes. Came and trucked it away. As I remember the eagle was a problem. It was illegal to have and illegal to get rid of.
Mike

Deuce 146
321 MW - 1993 - 1997
TOP HAND - 1997 - 2000
PACOM Nuke Guy - 2009
Cancellier

Postby Sky Knight on Thu May 28, 2009 3:16 am

Cancellier wrote:The eagle was still there when I left the 448th in '97. Hope it didn't go to the base museum, because, get this, THEY SOLD THE BASE MUSEUM to one of the Indian tribes. Came and trucked it away. As I remember the eagle was a problem. It was illegal to have and illegal to get rid of.

When I was with the 448th in the 80's, someone said there was a waiver from the Dept. of Interior that allowed it to be displayed. The eagle was supposed to go back to the DOI when no longer needed.
IQT class - 48
448th SMS 1981 - 1985
319 BMW/DOC 1985 - 1988
92 BMW/DOC 1988 - 1990
92BMW/DOB 1990 - 1992
17AF/XP 1992-1994
Sky Knight

Postby MHint on Thu May 28, 2009 11:07 pm

I was LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!! I had been his DMCC up until 3 weeks before. I upgraded to MCC. WOW......

Daninfowar wrote:Ah, the vagaries of memory loss. The oncoming MCCC in the "Helicopter Pad Changeover" wasn't McIntyre, it was Bob Wilcox. I know because he was my first flight commander (November Flight) and we bowled together. Bob and Mary Wilcox...good people. Bob's mistake--and it killed his career--was in not instantly recognizing when he saw Orbin and his Dep waiting for the chopper that he needed to immediately--not one nanosecond later--call everyone in SAC to report what had happened. By waiting, Bob and his Dep doomed themselves.
Deuce class 17
Grand Forks 78 -82
448 SMS
DOV
Command Post
Last Missile operator to leave GF ---96-99
MHint

Postby rgransee on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:50 am

Some GF memories...

...The day the B52 blew up. My wife was driving past the flightline on her way out the back gate to be with me at Minot as I was on TDY. She was a few hundred yards away when it occurred and saw and felt the horrible explosion.
...Tending bar at Johnny's in Emerado 81-84. Great memories. Met Charlie Daniels and his band when his bus broke down on Hwy 2. Worked the Monday night football game between the Packers and Redskins. Still the highest scoring game in MNF history. TV was located in back out of sight of the bar and as I was/am a huge Packer fan I left the bar on "self serve" for just about the whole night, with customers getting their own beers and making their own change, etc. Everything was AOK moneywise and inventorywise at the end of the night, which pretty much says it all about the character of the people, both basers and towners.
...Late summer of 79. Total Eclipse of the sun. FSC at Golf Zero. Sitting at the desk and broadcasting the wonderful event to anyone in range of the radio, esp the MCC who weren't able to see it for themselves.
...G-0 again. About 0200 hours. Pulling night FSC duty when the cook walks up to the door to the office and keels over. I have never been able to reconstruct the exact chain of events, but what happened was the Mobile Maintenance guy had left a vehicle running inside the attached garage and it had sickened everyone topside except me.
I know LCF's are laid out differently, but G-0 has an attached garage close to the FSC's office. It is separated from the sleeping quarters by some distance. Long story short-I saved about 5 people's lives and almost got written up for it-for "pencil whipping" the LCF Check on my FSC Log. (should have found the vehicle running earlier).
...Feeling Homesick one night and stumbling into a Denny's Restaurant at about 0200 to find the entire place filled with people wearing Wisconsin Badger gear after a Hockey game with the UND.

I've got more.

321 MSS 76-79
rgransee

Postby gordymichels on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:21 pm

Just reading some of these posts brings back so many memories. I stumbled across this site tonight and am glad I did.
I reconnected with a LOT of people that worked in the good 'ole GFAFB over the last 6 months and one of them even
has a site dedicated to a LOT of weapons systems and stories.
Click HERE to see!

I remember that I was one first classes to go thru crane training from EMT and I got to operate the crane while building the missile on display at the front gate at GFAFB.
I think we got the missile from Vandy or the Air Force Station in Ohio (not WP or the base in SD ;))

Are we allowed to talk about the place in Ohio?
321 OMMS '81 - '85
EMT Master Team Chief
GFAFB, ND
gordymichels

PreviousNext

Return to Minuteman III