LCC Questions: Firefighting Ponds and Radomes?

For general discussion with your fellow Minuteman III crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Currently based at Minot AFB, ND, Malmstrom AFB, MT, and F. E. Warren AFB, WY. Formerly based at Grand Forks AFB, ND. Operational from 17 Apr 1970 to present. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

LCC Questions: Firefighting Ponds and Radomes?

Postby Jim Rawles on Wed May 11, 2011 3:37 pm

I'm Jim Rawles, a newbie on the forums. I'm a novelist. My background is Army, not Air Force. Some of you may have already read my first novel, "Patriots". (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriots:_ ... g_Collapse ) You can also read my biography, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Rawles

Presently, I'm writing the second sequel to "Patriots". One of the characters is an E-6 "over six", who is an 2M0X2 stationed at Malmstrom. My goal with this character is to give missileers some long-deserved credit, and to show their resourcefulness, in difficult times.

I'm looking for a few details to include in the novel, for the sake of realism.

My questions are:

1.) Recently, when driving by an LGM-30 LCC on Highway 200 west of Great Falls, I noticed what looked like a firefighting pond out front. Is that it's purpose? Do all LCCs have a pond like that?

2.) I also saw two small radomes. I assume that one of them was a weather radar. If it would not violate security, can someone briefly described the two radomes, and their purpose?

3.) What would the typical daily responsibilities of an E-6 2M0X2 Missile and Space Systems Maintenance NCO be, in the context of LGM-30 LCCs?

Many Thanks!

Jim Rawles
Editor, http://www.SurvivalBlog.com
Author of the novels " Patriots", "Survivors" (scheduled for release in October 2011), and "Citizen Soldiers" (scheduled for release in October 2012)
Jim Rawles

Re: LCC Questions: Firefighting Ponds and Radomes?

Postby banjodog on Thu May 12, 2011 12:44 am

Jim Rawles wrote:1.) Recently, when driving by an LGM-30 LCC on Highway 200 west of Great Falls, I noticed what looked like a firefighting pond out front. Is that it's purpose? Do all LCCs have a pond like that?

It has nothing to do with fires. It's the sewage lagoon, otherwise known as the officer's swimming pool. 8) Each LCC has one.

As for an E-6's responsibility in the LCC, not much really. Go to the blast door when an EAM comes in. At the LCC, maintenance troops are the visitors, both topside & downstairs.

Out at the LF however, we own the site. Militarily speaking, the crewdogs outrank us so they are 'in charge', but in the real world, we own the site. The on-site team chief (typically an E-4 for EMT) has complete control over a lot of things, even who gets allowed on site. At least in the days of SAC this was true. (SACR 66-12 I think it was called)

An MSgt that's out with maintenance (@ an LF or LCC) is very likely a supervisor doing some required field visit, though I always thought some sup's did field visits just to get out of the shop. They usually don't get too involved in the particular task, partly because it's been a few years since they did it and also, that's not their place anymore.

I don't know about now, but back in my day there were a few EMT jobs that required a site supervisor: M/G or battery R&R and a CSD (M) code change. The requirement for a site sup for a CSD (M) code change was deleted back in the early 90's when the new code-change verifier (called the RCCV) came out. It generates a checksum after the code change. If the checksums match, you're good to go.
341 SMW '87-'94
EMT shop '91-'94 (ILCS)
banjodog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Acehole on Fri May 13, 2011 6:19 pm

2.) I also saw two small radomes. I assume that one of them was a weather radar. If it would not violate security, can someone briefly described the two radomes, and their purpose?

They are communications-related. The tall one is the EHF Antenna Shelter - it's designed to send and receive traffic using secure satellites via EHF radio. The short cone-shaped one is the Hardened UHF Antenna. It's for the line-of-sight UHF radio equipped in the LCC. Crews talk to aircraft using this one. Rumor has it that if you want kids, stay away from the UHF Radio Antenna.
Acehole

Postby Rico2000 on Sat May 14, 2011 3:08 am

Acehole wrote:

They are communications-related. The tall one is the EHF Antenna Shelter - it's designed to send and receive traffic using secure satellites via EHF radio. The short cone-shaped one is the Hardened UHF Antenna. It's for the line-of-sight UHF radio equipped in the LCC. Crews talk to aircraft using this one. Rumor has it that if you want kids, stay away from the UHF Radio Antenna.

Is the ISST radome gone now?
MM II SSAS Ellsworth 1988-1992/MM III CDB F.E. Warren 1992-1996
TOP HAND 1996-1999/HQ AFSPC/DOM 1999-2002/HQ AFSPC/A3T ICBM Test and Evaluation 2004- 2009
You are all condemned men. We keep you alive to serve this ship. So row well, and live.
Rico2000
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby hockey85 on Sat May 14, 2011 1:55 pm

Rico2000 wrote:
Acehole wrote:

Is the ISST radome gone now?

It is still there (at Malmstrom at least). It has been deactivated in place for a couple years now. They are finally starting to remove ISST equipment this year.
PAX ORBIS PER ARMA AERIA
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Minuteman III