GLCM Related Story

For general discussion with your fellow GLCM crewdogs, maintainers and cops. On alert in Europe from 1983 to 1991. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

GLCM Related Story

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:24 pm

From http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/27 ... nordlinger

Thought you'd like this:

Made in America
September 5, 2011 9:02 P.M.
By Jay Nordlinger

A lady in Oklahoma sends in a story that WFB would especially appreciate:

Dear Jay,

In the late ’80s, my husband was given an Air Force assignment to a new missile base in Holland (part of Reagan’s missile buildup). [Editorial note: Yay!] In our beautiful little Dutch town, our landlords lived next door to us. They invited us to the husband’s birthday party. After some drinks, the Dutch guests began talking about the occupation and liberation of Holland.

The husband shared the story of being a small boy and marveling at the fact that, after liberating his town, the Americans set up a chow line and had the entire (starving) population go through it. He had his metal tray and nearly pulled it away when the cook plopped down a brown blob. He thought, “It doesn’t look like chocolate, maybe it’s pudding?”

Then this hungry little boy stuck his finger in it, and, mmmm, it was peanut butter! He’d never eaten it, and loved it from that day on. It became a sort of symbol for him of American goodness and generosity.

I can just imagine when he had his first Reese’s cups (pronounced, by many an American, “Reesey’s”).

Comments 4 | E-mail Author | About | Archive

Bad Sam
Bad Sam
220 TII alerts under Arizona ('70-75)
107 (36s & 24s) MMM alerts under Missouri ('75-78)
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Re: GLCM Related Story

Postby dpan on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:14 pm

Those stories were fairly common. On my first night in Belgium, my sponsor and I stopped at a restaurant where many of the Florennes GI hung out. A Belgian man dining with his family came up to us and bought us a round of drinks because, as he said it, as gratitude for the American liberation of his country 40 years before. My landlady once very proudly told me of the story of her running messages for the underground during the German occupation and being awarded a medal by an American or British general. Those stories just made us feel so proud of being Americans and representing our country over there.
David Pan
91 SMW 84-87
485 TMW 87-88
BMO 89-93
NAIC 93-94
DoD civilian 94-present
dpan
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby ornurse362 on Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:04 pm

Not GLCM related, but some WW2 relationship ...

In one of my earlier existences, along about 1970, I was walking around Manila. I wasn't exactly lost, I'd just merely misplaced myself for a bit.

Anyway, I went into a gas station to ask directions to the bus station (the Philippine Rabbit). The kaibigan didn't say anything, just grabbed me and pushed me into his car and drove me to the Rabbit. During the drive (actually, it was pretty short drive as I recall), he told me he had been a Pilipino Scout during WWII. At that time, I was too young and stupid to appreciate that fact and sit down with a couple San Magoos and talk with him.
ornurse362
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Piquet on Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:03 pm

dpan wrote:On my first night in Belgium, .....

I'm wondering if you knew two guys I knew from Minot who went to Florennes: Joe Whaley and John Burling.
Dave Peck, CDB-87
MMIII/CDB 1983-1988 (742 SMS, DOV, DO22)
MMIII/REACT-A 1999-2001 (740 MS)
Piquet
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby dpan on Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:14 pm

Piquet wrote:
dpan wrote:On my first night in Belgium, .....

I'm wondering if you knew two guys I knew from Minot who went to Florennes: Joe Whaley and John Burling.

Unfortunately, no. I was in maintenance, and hardly ever crossed paths with the ops folks down the hill even though their trainer facility was next to my maintenance training building.
David Pan
91 SMW 84-87
485 TMW 87-88
BMO 89-93
NAIC 93-94
DoD civilian 94-present
dpan
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Doug Harvey on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:49 pm

Ha. I knew Joe Whaley. Guy was made out of teflon. DUIs just wouldn't stick to him somehow... heard he drove into a butcher shop window in europe and managed to get out of the DUI...
"We have met the enemy, and he is US>" - Pogo
Doug Harvey

Postby Piquet on Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:03 pm

I heard it was a bakery, and he left the scene of the accident so he wouldn't get a DUI. Somehow, he got off with something fairly light.
Dave Peck, CDB-87
MMIII/CDB 1983-1988 (742 SMS, DOV, DO22)
MMIII/REACT-A 1999-2001 (740 MS)
Piquet
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Doug Harvey on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:50 pm

OK maybe it was a bakery. I'm getting up there in years so maybe I mixed up my "B" words... What he did was leave the scene and go to a bar and start drinking again. Then he went and turned himself in to the cops and told them he was so shaken up by the accident that he had a few drinks AFTER to settle his nerves. They couldn't prove he was actually drunk at the time of the accident.
"We have met the enemy, and he is US>" - Pogo
Doug Harvey

Return to GLCM