Curious of Atlas D site operation

For general discussion with your fellow Atlas E/F crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly based at Altus AFB, OK, Dyess AFB, TX, Fairchild AFB, WA, Forbes AFB, KS, Lincoln AFB, NE, Plattsburgh AFB, NY, Schilling AFB, KS, Walker AFB, NM, and Vandenberg AFB, CA, F.E. Warren AFB, WY. On alert from 1 Sep 1959 to 12 Apr 1965. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Curious of Atlas D site operation

Postby kmiles on Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:11 pm

Hello,

I work at an architecture firm in Lincoln, Nebraska and am writing a historic documentation of an Atlas D missile site near Mead, Nebraska that will soon be torn down. My job is to get as much info as possible about the site to go into an archive. So far I have found many images, made drawings and written on the current condition of the site. What is missing is some information about how the site operated when it was built. What was the microwave, remote rate station and boresight tower used for? How many people were on site each day? How was the security? If anyone can offer any information, it would be greatly appreciated. I would be more than happy to share my findings in exchange.

Thanks! Kristin
kmiles

Re: Curious of Atlas D site operation

Postby Jim Dearman on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Kristin,
Contact Gary Baker at his web site. He has the best Atlas information available

http://www.siloworld.com/

Jim Dearman
Jim Dearman

Return to Atlas D/E/F