577th SMS Patch

For general discussion with your fellow Atlas E/F crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly based at Altus AFB, OK, Dyess AFB, TX, Fairchild AFB, WA, Forbes AFB, KS, Lincoln AFB, NE, Plattsburgh AFB, NY, Schilling AFB, KS, Walker AFB, NM, and Vandenberg AFB, CA, F.E. Warren AFB, WY. On alert from 1 Sep 1959 to 12 Apr 1965. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

577th SMS Patch

Postby billleys on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:16 pm

I was assigned to the 577th at Altus AFB from 1962 through 1964. I was responsible for keeping the White Superior 40-SX-8 diesel generators at all 12 sites (D-60 & D-61 on levels 5 & 6) in good working order so you MCC members wouldn't have to bump around in the dark. Loved the duty and proud to have been a small part of such an outstanding organization. Best assignment of my entire AF service.
Thing is, only the MCC members got to wear the 577th patch on their white uniforms. All the rest of us had to wear standard fatigues and a hard hat. I'd dearly love to obtain a 577th patch for my medals display case. It's the only thing missing from those days. Can anyone help? Many thanks! (Picture attached)
~ Bill Leys
[billleys@bellsouth.net]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billleys

Re: 577th SMS Patch

Postby Art LeBrun on Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:32 am

This is a rather late response but have you tried to find a reunion? They sometimes reproduce patches if that is acceptable for you.
Art LeBrun

Postby billleys on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:23 pm

I'm still looking - even at this late date! Would love to learn of any reunion plans - and yes, a reproduction would be acceptable. Just can't find any info at all ... not just on the patch, but the entire 577th! It's as if everything just dried-up and blew away. Sure don't see anything being offered in the Medals of America and other similar catalogs that had to do with the missle programs. Makes me wonder if we misslemen ever mattered to the USAF (although I believe we DID at the time). Still ... there's a serious lack of recognition out there for our contribution during the 'Cold War'. :(
billleys

Postby Art LeBrun on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:44 pm

There is a 577 SMS patch on eBay now but it is 59.99 plus 1.00 shipping.
Art LeBrun

Postby billleys on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:50 pm

Many thanks, Art! I'll get right on it!
~ Bill
billleys

Postby Art LeBrun on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi Bill,

Was there ever any AC from outside the sites or were the diesel generators the only power source?

Art
Art LeBrun

Postby billleys on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:44 pm

Way to go, Art! Found a seller on the first page advertising a "mint condition" 577th SMS patch, bid on it and won it for $16 bucks! Didn't take the time to look for the one you mentioned for $59.99 + $1.00, as the auction had only minutes to go. The thing looks brand new ... so I'm guessing it's either been sealed-up for the past 47 years, or it's a reproduction. I don't really care at this point. It sure looks like the real deal and you can't tell the difference from the one in my post here. At any rate, I'll FINALLY be able to finish my medals display case (if I can just remember where the hell I put the rest of the stuff!)

Anyway ... thanks again for contacting me and pointing me in the right direction!

~ Bill
billleys

Postby billleys on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:04 pm

Art ...
To answer your question: Yes, there was commercial AC to the sites at all times. Exceptions were during a PLX, where the entire missile site was tested. The diesel generators would be started and placed on-line, and the missile fueled with propellant and raised into launch position. Also, should a commercial power failure occur (storm, etc.) the silo blast doors would automatically slam shut (which sounded like a major explosion inside the Launch Control Center), the diesel generators would automatically start up and go on-line, thereby restoring power,lighting, etc. and permitting the MCCC and the rest of his crew to crawl out from under their beds upstairs and resume their duties. (This is no joke ... it actually happened at one of our sites, accordidng to one of the combat crew members present!)
Other instances for starting the diesel generators would be for maintenance purposes (testing) or by the EPPT* for training or whatnot. The generators would not necessarily be put on-line in these latter instances.

* EPPT = Electrical Power Production Technician. An enlisted crew member in charge of operating the diesel generator sets.

Thanks for asking!

~ Bill
billleys

Postby billleys on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:07 pm

Hey, Art!

We joined this forum back in '08. How come we're still shown as "newbies"?

~ Bill
billleys

Postby Art LeBrun on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:29 pm

Bill,

I figure we don't post enough but I don't really know.

Thank you for your detailed answer on the diesel generators. Must have been noisy when they were running. I assume the venting was adequate for the exhausts.

Really unique times and responsibilities you guys all shared. Glad you found a patch so quickly and at a reasonable cost.

Art
Art LeBrun

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:54 pm

Art, I'm pretty sure that's the reason. I've posted in TII, MMII, Coffee House, Happy Hour, and a few MMIII (about Minot), and I'm up to 3 RVs.

Bad Sam
Bad Sam
220 TII alerts under Arizona ('70-75)
107 (36s & 24s) MMM alerts under Missouri ('75-78)
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby Art LeBrun on Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:03 am

Thank you, Bad Sam..............nice to know!
Art LeBrun

Return to Atlas D/E/F