Video of ATLAS 'E' site in Greely Co.

For general discussion with your fellow Atlas E/F crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly based at Altus AFB, OK, Dyess AFB, TX, Fairchild AFB, WA, Forbes AFB, KS, Lincoln AFB, NE, Plattsburgh AFB, NY, Schilling AFB, KS, Walker AFB, NM, and Vandenberg AFB, CA, F.E. Warren AFB, WY. On alert from 1 Sep 1959 to 12 Apr 1965. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Video of ATLAS 'E' site in Greely Co.

Postby SAC_COP on Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:13 am

SAC_COP
2 RVs
2 RVs

Re: Video of ATLAS 'E' site in Greely Co.

Postby DaneTrain on Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:15 am

I've been there, its about 10 miles from where I'm at right now.

Nothing finer that touring the site in my uniform...kinda sppoky that the last dude wearing the same uniform that I was, was on alert watchin' the Commies.

Hot stuff. I'll try and post some pics soon.
Proud of my all 200+ (And counting) alerts.
DaneTrain
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Crewdog on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:34 pm

When I was at FEW we used to go out to the old Atlas D sites left over from the 564th SMS, they were the coffin style sites. Since you are in that area, you may want to poke around them some weekend. The two that were easiest to find were also fairly close to Cheyenne. One was on 80 between Cheyenne and Laramie and the other was off of Torrington Rd. (85) not too far east of Cheyenne.
400 SMS - FEW 78 - 82
71 TMS - Florennes 85 - 86
Crewdog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby DaneTrain on Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:37 pm

Crewdog wrote:When I was at FEW we used to go out to the old Atlas D sites left over from the 564th SMS, they were the coffin style sites. Since you are in that area, you may want to poke around them some weekend. The two that were easiest to find were also fairly close to Cheyenne. One was on 80 between Cheyenne and Laramie and the other was off of Torrington Rd. (85) not too far east of Cheyenne.

Thanks for the tip. I'm waiting around for training, and I'll have a few weeks off soon, so maybe I'll take a bit of a road trip and go check it out. That "E" site is awesome.

In fact, I organized a visit there for my ROTC detachment (when I was a Cadet), and we took a tour there. The guy thre was really nice, but his information was a tad off, but he was okay with me throwing a few things in on the side.

I'll try and post some pictures soon. Anyone here ever work there?
DaneTrain
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Crewdog on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:02 pm

Hopefully those sites haven't been vandalized and graffitti'ed since I tromped around them 30 years ago. The one out towards Torrington was pretty lean even then and the LF was the main structure and many of the topside buildings were gone. The one between Cheyenne and Laramie was in better shape with some of the topside facilities still in tact...even T.O. pages laying around inside some of the buildings.

Actually the site near Laramie may be closer to you. To get there you head west on 80, from Cheyenne, until hit 140. Take a south on 140 and head to 207, and just south and east of 207 you should be able to see the site, I think it was 565-B. Those are the auto club directions, you may be able to head north on 140 from where you are and get there.
400 SMS - FEW 78 - 82
Crewdog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby DaneTrain on Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:21 pm

Some photos I took on a tour last year. REally neat place! Would love to meet some people that served there! Enjoy,.

DaneTrain
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby hockey85 on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:16 pm

Awesome pictures! Thanks!

Cory
PAX ORBIS PER ARMA AERIA
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DaneTrain on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:54 pm

hockey85 wrote:Awesome pictures! Thanks!

Cory

No problem!
DaneTrain
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Johnr 1997 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:28 am

First time on this site and wanted to thank you for the walk down memory lane. I was stationed at FEW from the time the "E" arrived until they were deactivated. We started working at the "D" sites while they were building the "E"sites. We started working at the "E" sites in the Power Plant with the contractors before the missiles or other crew members showed up. I was a crew member on Crew S-38 and S-71. Looked a lot different in those days. Thing I remembered most about the Greeley site was the smell while driving past the stock yard.
John Reed, EPPT :D
Johnr 1997

Postby Crewdog on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:58 pm

Johnr 1997 wrote:First time on this site and wanted to thank you for the walk down memory lane. I was stationed at FEW from the time the "E" arrived until they were deactivated. We started working at the "D" sites while they were building the "E"sites. We started working at the "E" sites in the Power Plant with the contractors before the missiles or other crew members showed up. I was a crew member on Crew S-38 and S-71. Looked a lot different in those days. Thing I remembered most about the Greeley site was the smell while driving past the stock yard.

This is way off the subject of Atlas, but that Monfort plant at Greely was vile smelling!!! Being a Minuteman guy, our flights didn't go that far west and I was in Greely by choice...but there was this chicken farm that we had to pass to get to Oscar and brother you could smell that thing for several miles, coming and going! Between the two, give me the smell of the stock yard.
400 SMS - FEW 78 - 82
Crewdog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby DaneTrain on Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:04 pm

Crewdog wrote:
Johnr 1997 wrote:First time on this site and wanted to thank you for the walk down memory lane. I was stationed at FEW from the time the "E" arrived until they were deactivated. We started working at the "D" sites while they were building the "E"sites. We started working at the "E" sites in the Power Plant with the contractors before the missiles or other crew members showed up. I was a crew member on Crew S-38 and S-71. Looked a lot different in those days. Thing I remembered most about the Greeley site was the smell while driving past the stock yard.

This is way off the subject of Atlas, but that Monfort plant at Greely was vile smelling!!! Being a Minuteman guy, our flights didn't go that far west and I was in Greely by choice...but there was this chicken farm that we had to pass to get to Oscar and brother you could smell that thing for several miles, coming and going! Between the two, give me the smell of the stock yard.

Hey now, I went to college in Greeley. I liked that town.
DaneTrain
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Capt. Bill on Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:08 pm

Couple more pictures

IMG_1666a.jpg

IMG_1695a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Atlas D MMT on Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:51 pm

[/[b]Join us at an Open House this weekend from 1PM to 4PM on Saturday the 3rd of September. b]

Atlas D MMT
2 RVs
2 RVs

Return to Atlas D/E/F