Fifty Years Later

For general discussion with your fellow Atlas E/F crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly based at Altus AFB, OK, Dyess AFB, TX, Fairchild AFB, WA, Forbes AFB, KS, Lincoln AFB, NE, Plattsburgh AFB, NY, Schilling AFB, KS, Walker AFB, NM, and Vandenberg AFB, CA, F.E. Warren AFB, WY. On alert from 1 Sep 1959 to 12 Apr 1965. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Fifty Years Later

Postby Atlas D MMT on Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:40 pm

I had the pleasure of being joined this weekend by two former Air Force veterans that I serving with fifty years ago. The event was an open house at former 566th Strategic Missile Squadron Atlas-E Site 8 in Greeley, Colorado

We all were members of the 389th Missile Maintenance Squadron at FE Warren, AFB, WY on the Atlas-D missile from 1961 to 1964. A1C Carl Spencer (on the left) was a Missile Mechanic with a 564th SMS Launch Crew than in the 389th MMS Calibration Lab and was also one of my roommates. MSgt Lee Buesing (on the right) was a Missile Engine Mechanic and we both members on the Sergeant Frank’s Launch Maintenance APCHE Checkout Team.

There were approximately 300 plus visitors including other veterans and a lot of kids to the Open House. We shared out missile experience and photographs with the visitors and answered many questions regarding the Cuban Missile Crisis.

We were also joined by Second Lieutenant Tannon Temple currently serving with the 320th Strategic Missile Squadron at FE Warren. Lt Temple was also our photographer but I was unable to find the photo he took of us. I have attached the only photos that were in the camera of three old guys.

It was a pleasure to be with two of my old Air Force buddies from fifty years ago and a new active duty Lieutenant.

Carl, Lee, and I are a little shorter and now move much slower than our last time together.
Last edited by Atlas D MMT on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlas D MMT
2 RVs
2 RVs

Re: Fifty Years Later

Postby Tim on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:19 pm

Thanks for sharing your photos and memories. I grew up in and around Dyess AFB, TX and as a youngster distinctly remember seeing the Atlas boosters being moved to and from the sites. I lived not far from a site, south of Abilene, off of HWY 277, access road still visible. There is also an old NIKE site nearby.

Tim, 490th SMS, Malmstrom, 1981-1985
Tim
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Atlas D MMT on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:02 pm

This week one of my former USAF roommates from FE Warren who was a also a Atlas MMT with Launch Maintenance from 1962 visited me in Colorado. While Doug was in Colorado we visited a our former TSgt in western Colorado it was the first time we had been together was in 1964. I have attached two photos the first photo is the Launch Maintenance Crew for the 1962 launch of Atlas 134D for President Kennedy. After our visit with John we toured the old 565th SMS Complex C near Larimie and a afternoon on FE Warren, AFB Wyoming.

Doug is the A2C in the white coveralls on the left. John is the TSgt on the far right.

Doug, Myself, and John

Atlas D MMT
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby DaneTrain on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:31 pm

Atlas D MMT wrote:[img]We were also joined by Second Lieutenant Tannon Temple currently serving with the 320th Strategic Missile Squadron at FE Warren. Lt Temple was also our photographer but I was unable to find the photo he took of us. I have attached the only photos that were in the camera of three old guys.[/b]

I'll get ahold of him and see if he has the photo.

Also, I posted some photos from my visit to Site 8. I want to college there and took 2 trips there.
Proud of my all 200+ (And counting) alerts.
DaneTrain
3 RVs
3 RVs

Return to Atlas D/E/F