Minuteman I high tech record keeping, grease pencils

For general discussion with your fellow Minuteman I crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly Based at Ellsworth AFB, SD, Malmstrom AFB, MT, Minot AFB, ND, Whiteman AFB, MO, F. E Warren AFB, WY. On alert frm 22 Oct 1962 to 27 Sep 1974. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Minuteman I high tech record keeping, grease pencils

Postby Capt. Bill on Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:39 pm

This picture is a close up of the MM I MSIL from Oscar in the early 1970s. There was a piece of Plexiglass over it and we kept all the LF status by writing on it with a grease pencil. Every now and then we had to give it good cleaning to get reid of all the smudges. The black dymotape at the top showed the interconnectivity each LF had with the other LFs in the flight and squadron. The bottom button under each LF was for lamp test We put a slash across each illuminated indicator light in case the bulb burned out, no LEDs back then. We probably did more light bulb changing than anything.

MSIL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Minuteman I high tech record keeping, grease pencils

Postby hockey85 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:56 pm

Things certainly have changed over the years from MMI to REACT, but what hasn't changed at all is missileers writing on plexiglass to keep track of status. Yeah, we have the REACT console and can make electronic logs which makes things easier and more organized at times, but it takes time to type in information. When you are on the SIN line with a maintenance team or on the phone with someone else, nothing beats taking notes on plexiglass with a vis-a-vis wet erase marker(grease pencil replacement). Its quicker and easier. Then, when there is time, we can go in and make an electronic log on the console of the notes we took.
PAX ORBIS PER ARMA AERIA
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Capt. Bill on Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:22 pm

Every now and then I would take lighter fluid and clean off the plexiglass. I don't think ry erase markers had been invented then and those grease pencils were very messy.
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SAC Killer on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:19 pm

In the 70s they gave us big bottles of plastic polish to clean not only the plexiglass, but also the laminated copy formats. This happened when SAC went to nonreflective laminating material. It was almost impossible to clean grease pencil off that stuff, though the smokers quickly learned that ashes worked pretty well.

We called the plastic polish "whale sperm."

It worked quite well.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Return to Minuteman I