The Pink Elephant

For general discussion with your fellow Titan I crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly based at Beale AFB, CA, Ellsworth AFB, SD, Larson AFB, WA, Lowry AFB, CO, and Mt Home AFB, ID. On alert from 28 Feb 1962 to 1 Apr 1965. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

The Pink Elephant

Postby eschling on Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:14 am

When I was a kid in '67 we lived on Mt Home AFB. My Father was an air traffic controller, the base was primarily RF-4 squadrons. This was not too long after the Titan Is were decommissioned. We used to goof around out in the desert a lot and one day we stumbled across a strange, mostly underground building on the fringe of the base property.
The building just barely existed above ground and had corrugated tunnels from ground level down to big double doors on opposite sides. What made this discovery really bizarre was it was completely abandoned, the doors were open and the lights were still on. The halls and rooms were strewn with paper, furniture and all sorts of other stuff, as if someone had left in a real hurry. After we cleared a path thru the hall we had a great time riding our bikes down the ramps, thru the doors, down the hallway and back out the other end. This was pretty cool stuff for a 13 year old.
I've often wondered what the story on this place was. Could it have been the wing HQ for the recently demised missile squadron? Does any one have a recollection of such a building? As it was painted a light pink color, it was known by the folks on the base as the Pink Elephant.
Ed the Squid Cold Warrior
USS John F Kennedy (CVA-67)
USS Mississippi (CGN-40)
Owner, 571-1
eschling
2 RVs
2 RVs

Re: The Pink Elephant

Postby njh621 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:58 pm

It sounds like it was one of those barracks for the B52 crews. Did it look something like this on the outside? Did the building look like it had been abandoned for months, or for about five minutes? If it is one of those bomber alert facilities that's where bomber crews would stay. When the alarm went off they hauled ass out of the building into the trucks, and straight to the flight-line.

-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
Electrical Engineer ("In training")
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Re: The Pink Elephant

Postby eschling on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:13 am

It's been a lot of years, it does look very much like what I remember. A quick internet check found that there were B-47s at Mt. Home up till '65, so I guess this is a good possibility. I don't recall it being near the flight line tho, we generally would have stayed far away from those areas. The place had recently been abandoned, as I said, the lights were still on. You could be right.
Ed the Squid Cold Warrior
USS John F Kennedy (CVA-67)
USS Mississippi (CGN-40)
Owner, 571-1
eschling
2 RVs
2 RVs

Return to Titan I