Site Power?

For general discussion with your fellow Titan I crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly based at Beale AFB, CA, Ellsworth AFB, SD, Larson AFB, WA, Lowry AFB, CO, and Mt Home AFB, ID. On alert from 28 Feb 1962 to 1 Apr 1965. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Site Power?

Postby njh621 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:06 am

Most missile sites get their power from a commercial source, and have a standby diesel generator as a backup. However, I've heard that Titan I sites didn't have a commercial power supply (only the VAFB sites did), and operated 24/7 on one of the three generators in the power house. I've also heard some of the Atlas F sites were configured the same way; they ran off the generators 24/7.

Can someone clarify this?
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
Electrical Engineer ("In training")
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Re: Site Power?

Postby Arnold Austin on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:19 am

Stand board crew member Titan 1 1960 - 63 Power Production combat crew member. Your information is correct. One generator provided all power. Additional generators were required to raise missile launchers.
Arnold Austin

Re: Site Power?

Postby SAC Killer on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:21 pm

Interesting. I wonder why. The engineer in me speculates that the system gobbled so much power that batteries weren't practical, so it couldn't tolerate a power outage when commercial dropped and before the standby power came on line.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Return to Titan I