Complex 571-7 Titan Missile Museum

For general discussion with your fellow Titan II crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly based at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, Little Rock AFB, AR, and McConnell AFB, KS. On Alert from 31 Dec 1963 to 23 June 1987. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Complex 571-7 Titan Missile Museum

Postby silo warrior on Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:12 am

These questions are for Chuck. I have seen in videos of the Titan Museum that they due a key turn for every tour. I was wondering if the switches are the orignial ? Wonder how many times they have been turned since the museum opened? The other question I have is due you have water leaking into the sumps? If so due you use the sump pumps to remove the water?

Silo Warrior
BMAT/ H31670F/" Enlisted Combat Crew Member" 571 SMS/ 390th SMW 78-82
317 alerts under Arizona.
silo warrior
3 RVs
3 RVs

Re: Complex 571-7 Titan Missile Museum

Postby njh621 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:18 am

The keys and the switches are original. I think they have the LCCFC key permanently installed but I'm not sure. Not sure how many times the launch simulation has been run, but the original simulator was replaced a few years ago. It became unreliable, so the guys at Raytheon came and wired in a micro-controller to run the simulation. Works very nicely, but when they installed the simulator they messed up the functionality of some of the other ALOC/LCCFC buttons.

As for the sumps, I'm not sure how bad the water leakage problems are (the sump looked empty when I was there in April), but from what I remember both pumps were turned off at MCC-1. I'm not sure if the drainage system is intact either.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
Electrical Engineer ("In training")
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby pp8010 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:58 pm

Greetings!

The key to the LCCFC is not permanently installed. I took it out after completing key turn during an incredible top to bottom missile tour with Mr. Penson and Mr. Stumpf a couple of weeks ago. I also asked Chuck if that was the original key, to which he replied in the affirmative.

Thought about stealing the key for all of about 1/1000th of a second, but I would never do something like that. ;-)

Patrick A. Pipino

"It would have some effect...."

Col Frank "Barry" Horton, being quoted in the media. Referring to the Titan II's 9 Megaton MK-53 warhead
pp8010

Postby Penson on Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:03 pm

silo warrior wrote:These questions are for Chuck. I have seen in videos of the Titan Museum that they due a key turn for every tour. I was wondering if the switches are the orignial ? Wonder how many times they have been turned since the museum opened? The other question I have is due you have water leaking into the sumps? If so due you use the sump pumps to remove the water? Silo Warrior

Sorry for the late response. Looks like Nick and Patrick answered these. But just just to add my two cents; the keys are original, but are not anything special. The museum has located a lock shop that carries the same blank, so we can have copies made. We issued key copies to the museum's founders a couple of years ago as part of our 20th anniversary celebration, and have issued a couple of others to major contributors.

How many times have they keys been turned since we opened? A gazillion, approximately.

A small amount of water leaks into the silo after heavy rains. Exactly how it gets in is not clear, but it ends up in the flame deflector and flows into the sumps. One of our two sump pumps is still operational and we use it now and then to drain the sumps.

Speaking of water, here is a story you may find interesting. A few months ago while exploring on silo level one I noticed rust-colored drip marks on the HS-1 accumulator rack. Looking up, I saw that an electrical conduit entering from the ceiling of level one (the roof of the silo) was rusty. I assumed that water was getting into it somehow from above. I traced the conduit down and saw that it entered into the control box used to open the silo door for maintenance purposes. I then noticed rust in the flex section of conduit connecting to the box. Water had obviously pooled up in the section. I opened the box and found no rust or water inside, but noticed a smaller box below the main box and connected by another short length of conduit, also showing a bit of corrosion.

Using the screwdriver on my trusty Swiss Army knife, I began taking the front panel off this box. After removing the last of four screws it took some effort to pry off the cover. When it finally came off a torrent of water gushed out, spilling onto the floor, running off the edge and flowing down the silo wall. There must have been a couple of gallons in the box. Yes, I was surprised.

After some investigation it appeared the water got in around the edges of a hatch on the silo door used for gaining access to the old silo door "impulse actuator" originally used to give the door a push. I had the maintenance guys caulk it up so we'll see if that did the trick.
Chuck Penson
Statements and opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Titan Missile Museum
Penson
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby silo warrior on Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:52 pm

Here is kind of a funny story. When I enlisted in the Air Force and got to boot camp they issued us a lock for our locker. The locks were Chicago lock company. Kept the lock, when I was sent to missile duty I saw the key switches on the LCCFC and ALOC were the same kind of keys. I tried the key at different sites in the wing. The only switch it fit was LCCFC at 1-5 which was kind of strange because that was my home site at the time. Never tried to turn it and never told anyone other than my crew. Still have the key and lock but LCCFC at 1-5 is long gone. Kind of wished we would have tried it during a LAUNCH VER. I bought an 8 day EWO clock off EBAY several years back. When I got the clock and started looking at it I found that famous seafoam green paint on the back. Started looking closer and found scratched on the back clock serial number. Also had scratched on back 571-6. Kind of strange was also on a 1-6 crew for a time. Dont know if there is any way to verify if it is the EWO clock from 1-6. The clock worked when I got it but grand kids knocked off the wall and now it no longer works.

Silo Warrior 8)
silo warrior
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby njh621 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:16 am

I believe you can send the clock to the Chelsea company for repair. I have to say I'm jealous :lol:. I've looked on ebay and have seen similar clocks; they are pretty expensive. Imagine the odds of finding a clock from the 390th.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
Electrical Engineer ("In training")
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby banjodog on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:27 pm

The museum made today's CNN.com web site:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/07/travel/mi ... hpt=us_bn1
341 SMW '87-'94
EMT shop '91-'94 (ILCS)
banjodog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby silo warrior on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:42 am

Penson wrote: I bought an 8 day EWO clock off EBAY several years back. When I got the clock and started looking at it I found that famous seafoam green paint on the back. Started looking closer and found scratched on the back clock serial number. Also had scratched on back 571-6. Kind of strange was also on a 1-6 crew for a time. Dont know if there is any way to verify if it is the EWO clock from 1-6. The clock worked when I got it but grand kids knocked off the wall and now it no longer works.

Update on the EWO clock. Sent it back to Chelsea Clock Co. and they did a complete overhaul of it. They did not remove the traces of seafoam green from the case . The clock is back on the wall and is running great. Glad to have it fixed and running. It was expensive but to have a piece of the 390th history it was worth it. Here are a couple of pictures of the clock.

Silo Warrior :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
silo warrior
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby ILCS20 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:04 pm

I'm happy you posted the shot showing where you placed the 24 hour mechanical clock - after years of saying I'd buy one off Ebay I did so last summer. The factory plate on back has this info:

MFG in 1965 (that's the year I enlisted)

Contract No. ATF-BA-2625

Stock No is also listed

My plan was to mount the clock on a nice peice of oak and the put it on the wall. I have no idea what the history for this one is. Over a year ago, I was outbid on a LSMIP sold on Ebay - maybe the guy that got it is on this website?

I'm very please with my clock, although it was pricey!

Regards,

dick gover
1968: Good lord, man, this isn't the Sahara Desert! That's Charlie out there! Yes sir, I know that.
ILCS20
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:48 pm

Damned impressive, right? Old tech, but it worked.
Bad Sam
220 TII alerts under Arizona ('70-75)
107 (36s & 24s) MMM alerts under Missouri ('75-78)
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby silo warrior on Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:04 am

TerrorOfTucson wrote: Old tech, but it worked

When ever we would do a recycle with a RASP the TRW folks would come out to the site. They would say "TRW stands for TITAN REALLY WORKS"

Silo Warrior 8)
silo warrior
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby HJJ on Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:54 pm

This link may have been posted before. Sorry, if that's the case.

http://nonplused.org/panos/titan_missile/index.html
BMAT 533SMS 1982-The End
120+Alerts Under Kansas
3-6 & 3-9
HJJ
2 RVs
2 RVs

Return to Titan II