Titan II rentery Vechicle

For general discussion with your fellow Titan II crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly based at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, Little Rock AFB, AR, and McConnell AFB, KS. On Alert from 31 Dec 1963 to 23 June 1987. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Re: Titan II rentery Vechicle

Postby silo warrior on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:34 am

Update on the RV at Moon Valley High School. When I drove by the school today I noticed that they had painted the abalative shied flat black and have painted there school logo on the side THE MOON VALLEY ROCKETS. It doesn't look to bad. It needed painting the Arizona sun had done a job on the green.

Silo Warrior :)
BMAT/ H31670F/" Enlisted Combat Crew Member" 571 SMS/ 390th SMW 78-82
317 alerts under Arizona.
silo warrior
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby silo warrior on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:59 pm

Anyone else ever here this story ? I read a entry on a web page that was written by a former MCCC in the 570th SMS. I remember the MCCC from when I was at D.M. Anyway what he said was after the accident at Littlerock the Air Force was afraid the same thing could happen again and was afraid next time it might result in an explosion of the warhead. He then stated that all the Titan II warheads were changed out and replaced with lead. I never gave it much thought but when I think back I do seem to remember that we seemed to have quite a few Liberty Bell swings after the accident at 4-7. Has any one else ever read this statement or ever heard this story?

Silo Warrior
silo warrior
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby njh621 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:53 pm

Well, I suppose it would make the "ballistic missile" name more appropriate :lol:. But in all seriousness, I highly doubt this was the case. For one, a solid-lead carrying Mk VI would make a loud "thud" and a dent in the ground. Not enough to take out an SS-19 silo, even with those Soviet construction standards. I suppose filling the RV with confetti and candy would have the same effect :lol:.

Secon, those warheads (and nuclear weapons in general) are designed with multiple safety features that would require a Murphy's Law-on-steroids failure to get a fluke detonation. The warhead at 4-7 survived two explosions, hitting the silo door on the way out, and crashing back down. The Mark VI was probably destroy or in bad shape, but the W53 bomb itself was intact. It's like C-4: you can eat it, light it on fire, shoot it, but it won't detonate unless you use a detonator cap cap.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
Electrical Engineer ("In training")
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Sun May 02, 2010 2:04 pm

So...what website was that? Am knowing nothing. Post that Link!

Bad Sam
Bad Sam
220 TII alerts under Arizona ('70-75)
107 (36s & 24s) MMM alerts under Missouri ('75-78)
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby D Preidis on Sun May 02, 2010 8:41 pm

silo warrior wrote:Anyone else ever here this story ? I read a entry on a web page that was written by a former MCCC in the 570th SMS. I remember the MCCC from when I was at D.M. Anyway what he said was after the accident at Littlerock the Air Force was afraid the same thing could happen again and was afraid next time it might result in an explosion of the warhead. He then stated that all the Titan II warheads were changed out and replaced with lead. I never gave it much thought but when I think back I do seem to remember that we seemed to have quite a few Liberty Bell swings after the accident at 4-7. Has any one else ever read this statement or ever heard this story?

Silo Warrior

Nope. Bogus.

The Little Rock disaster proved the safety features of the W-53. At that time the Titans were way too important to have their warheads replaced with dummies and why would they when they were proved safe. McConnell had no increase in RV yo-yos after Little Rock. The weapon was one-point safe and if the conventional did light off it would only spread the Oralloy around. There was no way there could be any fission activity.
381st SMW - Titan II BMAT, Instructor Shop
321st SMW - MMII CDB (Deuce) Ops
321st SMW/321st OMMS Mechanical Branch Chief
42nd Air Division Safety
Defense Nuclear Agency - Stockpile Operations
D Preidis
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby silo warrior on Mon May 03, 2010 3:20 am

Yah I did not believe it either. I read the post on a web site that is no longer up. I think it was the Titan II deactivation web site. The article was written by a former MCCC in the 570th. He was at 0-4. I will not name him but he was known in the 390th for being quite eccentric to say the least. I was just curious if any one had ever read this or heard the story.

Silo Warrior :D
silo warrior
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby SAC Killer on Mon May 03, 2010 11:28 pm

I don't think getting into more than this is appropriate. The details were classified then (I read the accident report) and everything publicly available has already been said.

Moderators, please watch this thread closely.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby njh621 on Tue May 04, 2010 2:49 pm

SAC Killer wrote:I don't think getting into more than this is appropriate. The details were classified then (I read the accident report) and everything publicly available has already been said.

Moderators, please watch this thread closely.

No need to worry as much with this one. Unlike Minuteman, Titan II is dead and buried. Everything on Damascus should be "on the table" already, and if it isn't it needs to be. Now targets and detailed inter-workings of the W53: that needs to remain controlled information. But everything else should be/needs to be out on the table.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
Electrical Engineer ("In training")
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby silo warrior on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Found this picture I forgot I had. This is the real deal full of fuel ready to go in 58 secs.
scan0017.jpg

Silo Warrior 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
silo warrior
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Missile Monkey on Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:50 am

Are any of you guys old MMTers/Missile Monkeys? I am a MMT instructor and would like to talk to some of the old timers.
MMT
341 Missile Wing
341 MMXS
341 MOS
Missile Monkey

Postby artifactman on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:32 am

eschling wrote:Chuck, if you happen to find an RV laying around I would love to park it out at 1-1. Would look much nicer than the stripped out Ford Aerostar someone left there a few years ago.

This might sound strange , but I have a re-entry vehicle or I call my Titan 2 nose cone dated 1965 , with very signifacent re-entry burns . I also have alot more Titan 2 artifacts that I need a few answers on , like is all of the Titan 2 program Declassiffed so I can start selling all my stuff ? And would someone please tell me how to put pics on here , Thanks .
artifactman

Postby Scruge on Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:35 pm

artifactman wrote:I also have alot more Titan 2 artifacts that I need a few answers on , like is all of the Titan 2 program Declassiffed so I can start selling all my stuff ?.

I'm guessing you wouldn't be in possession of it if it were still classified.

Only thing I remember being classified on titan vehicle long ago was payload, guidance and engine injector plate
BMFT
Crew R-058 570-05 acp
570SMS DMAFB 71-74
Scruge
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Ironman on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:26 pm

There is test Titan II rentry vehicle in the front yard of a guys home not far from Hotel-01 Whiteman AFB LCF in El Dorado, MO too! It's right off the main highway across the streed from the lacal Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership. He says he came by way of it from a former engineer that worked for a former defence contractor that lived out in California close to Vandenburg AFB.
USN 87-91 Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron Three (VQ-3) & (MoANG) Air Force brat
Ironman
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby titanguy38 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:34 am

The RV you described (esp. with the SAC emblem) sounds like the training mockup we had at 390 MIMS during our deactivation 1982-1984. I was the lead MO handling the deact major maintenance ops. Besides using the mockup for RV pull & crane oper. training, we also used it during a few parades we had on base for Base Open House, Halloween, etc. I recall we had left it with the Pima Air Museum, although they in turn might have donated it or sold it to the high school in Phoenix.
titanguy38

Postby silo warrior on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:44 pm

Kind of a funny story . Back in 79 or 80 before my wife and I were married she was the public affairs officer for the 390th. She had to come up to Phoenix and give a talk about the TITAN II weapon system to a bunch of high school students at Moon Valley high school. Well when we left the Air Force we moved up to Glendale Az. about a mile from this high school. The school now has a TITAN II Rentry Vechicle out in front of the school as its symbol. Drive by it every day on the way to work . Just cant get away from Titan II. Took these today they have painted there logo on the side. The Arizona sun takes its toll on paint as you can see.

Silo Warrior 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
silo warrior
3 RVs
3 RVs

PreviousNext

Return to Titan II