Site Differences and Mysteries

For general discussion with your fellow Titan II crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly based at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, Little Rock AFB, AR, and McConnell AFB, KS. On Alert from 31 Dec 1963 to 23 June 1987. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Re: Site Differences and Mysteries

Postby silo warrior on Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:40 am

I think it was in 1979 that the 390th built fuel and oxidizer trailer holding sheds at complexs 571-8 and 571-9. I think the oxidizer was at 571-9 and fuel was at 571-8. I was wondering if the 308 and 381st had the same buildings built? One reason the 390th placed them at 1-8 and 1-9 was that they were the farthest sites from any population areas. If I remember right there was a checklist in the dash 1 for hazards in the buildings. I remember we did not have much to do with the structures except if they had loaded trailers in them, don't ever remember any time we ever had an alarm go off .

Silo Warrior :)
BMAT/ H31670F/" Enlisted Combat Crew Member" 571 SMS/ 390th SMW 78-82
317 alerts under Arizona.
silo warrior
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby eschling on Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:46 am

If you look closely at the photo above of the 533-8 site, you will notice a piece of removable rail track laying behind each door stop. Does anyone know the purpose of these chunks of steel? Interestingly, I had a chance to visit the 1-8 site not long ago and laying there on the end of the oxidizer hardstand was a very rusty chunk of removable rail the owner had dug up from somewhere, probably the access portal.
Ed the Squid Cold Warrior
USS John F Kennedy (CVA-67)
USS Mississippi (CGN-40)
Owner, 571-1
eschling
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby njh621 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:17 am

Hey, Ed! The "removable" rail sections was one of those things that stumps both me and Chuck. All of the sites have these, and the tech data says they were for "emergency stopping" of the door. I tried picking one up, and there is NOTHING removable about those track sections! Not quite sure what the engineers were thinking on that one.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
Electrical Engineer ("In training")
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby Scruge on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:33 pm

njh621 wrote:Hey, Ed! The "removable" rail sections was one of those things that stumps both me and Chuck. All of the sites have these, and the tech data says they were for "emergency stopping" of the door. I tried picking one up, and there is NOTHING removable about those track sections! Not quite sure what the engineers were thinking on that one.

This is WAG because I don't remember for sure.. but I think those sections were cut out of the door rails. If door travels to far, door wheels will drop in slots left where sections were removed. They may have left them there in case they were needed to perform some unforeseen maintenance
BMFT
Crew R-058 570-05 acp
570SMS DMAFB 71-74
Scruge
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby silo warrior on Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:25 pm

njh621 wrote:Hey, Ed! The "removable" rail sections was one of those things that stumps both me and Chuck. All of the sites have these, and the tech data says they were for "emergency stopping" of the door. I tried picking one up, and there is NOTHING removable about those track sections! Not quite sure what the engineers were thinking on that one.

I looked up the silo door in my old CDC books. It shows the removable rail section in the drawing but makes no mention of it in the narative. In the back of my mind I know I used to know what they were for. Thirty years seems to have faded my memory.

Silo Warrior
silo warrior
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Scruge on Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Here's a picture that shows missing section in rails, which reinforce my thoughts.

I believe door rails were slotted so that if door should over travel, its wheels/trucks would drop into rail slots and come to a quick stop. There were probably 4 slots, 2 which could be seen on the damper side and the other 2 hidden beneath the door.
They probably kept the removed rail sections in case they ever needed to move the door beyond the emergency stop limits for maintenance.

Does anyone remember how the door wheel trucks were actuated (extended retracted)? hydraulics, mechanical, electrical or other ??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BMFT
Crew R-058 570-05 acp
570SMS DMAFB 71-74
Scruge
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby njh621 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:04 pm

Everything for the door was hydraulic, and provided by HS-1. Limit switches and all that went to a control box on silo level 1 (on the HS-1 side), and would open/close electrically controlled hydraulic valves.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby D Preidis on Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:57 pm

njh621 wrote:Everything for the door was hydraulic, and provided by HS-1. Limit switches and all that went to a control box on silo level 1 (on the HS-1 side), and would open/close electrically controlled hydraulic valves.

OK, refresh my memory, but I do not ever remember the wheels being retractable. There was nothing on the door that moved except that the wheels rolled. There were no hydraulic connections to the door that would allow for the wheels to retract. They had to keep it simple and reliable.

I remember the T-Locks would turn and retract down then the door would be raised to the rail level and then open. I saw and felt this as three of the times I went topside during "door normal" Launch I did the illegal thing and hitched a ride on the door.

I could feel and see the door rise before it started it's movement on the rails. Completely silent. You could hear the whoosh of air in the launch duct. I did a total of five topside observations during my tenure at McConnell.
381st SMW - Titan II BMAT, Instructor Shop
321st SMW - MMII CDB (Deuce) Ops
321st SMW/321st OMMS Mechanical Branch Chief
42nd Air Division Safety
Defense Nuclear Agency - Stockpile Operations
D Preidis
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby njh621 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:11 am

Thanks for jump-starting my brain, Doug :lol:! There were no hydraulic connections to the door; the wheels were solidly attached to the door and rail sections were raised to level with the rest of the track by hydraulic jacks. Once it was level with the track, it was rolled open/closed by the hydraulic motor and the drive cable. The T-locks functioned just like Doug explained it. Let me do a little digging in my Titan II files, and I'll see if I can find a diagram or two.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby bedbug on Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:33 pm

Chuck just posted what you want to see on Topic SILO DOOR
MFT crew 43
570th SMS D-M 1963 to 66
2 T-II launches down test range.
bedbug
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby silo warrior on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:31 pm

Scruge wrote:Here's a picture that shows missing section in rails, which reinforce my thoughts.

I believe door rails were slotted so that if door should over travel, its wheels/trucks would drop into rail slots and come to a quick stop. There were probably 4 slots, 2 which could be seen on the damper side and the other 2 hidden beneath the door.
They probably kept the removed rail sections in case they ever needed to move the door beyond the emergency stop limits for maintenance.

Does anyone remember how the door wheel trucks were actuated (extended retracted)? hydraulics, mechanical, electrical or other ??

Scruge is right according to the dash one the removable rail sections are to be removed if you recieve a blast that destroys the concrete stops. Let me think you took a blast that took out the concrete stops so you send the enlisted guys up in a fallout rich enviroment to remove the rails so the the door will stop. Ok so you remove the rails and launch the bird how do you close the site back up if the door is off the rails? Well I guess it would not have matered much by this time bird was gone crew has radiation sickness life is pretty much over. Sure glad it never ever came to that. Reading futher in the dash 1 it says the door will stop and then close again normally. So I guess it does not run clear off the rails.

Silo Warrior :D
Last edited by silo warrior on Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silo warrior
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby njh621 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:59 pm

If it had ever gone down, I feel for the poor guy that has to follows the TCCPs/PARPs and open the deluge valve by hand. Personally, if it were me on crew (as a DMCCC), I wouldn't put the life of the enlisted members before my own; I'd be up there with the BMAT/MFT pulling the rails. But then again, if you took a hit that was strong enough to break the door concrete, you probably took a direct/fatal hit.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby silo warrior on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:03 pm

Was trying to remember the PARPS checklist for post attack. I think what it was a DSV and DEV checklist all rolled into one. I know you went out into the hole and checked for damage and to make sure everything still worked. If you found things that were inop there were things you could do to get stuff up and running.I was trying to remember if they had you go topside to check for damage. I f so I guess thats how you would know if the blast took out the stops on the silo door. Only ran that checklist one time and that was at Vandenburg during upgrade. I remember it was a long checklist guess thats why the wing never really had you do it on regular trainer rides

silo warrior
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby D Preidis on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:24 pm

silo warrior wrote:Was trying to remember the PARPS checklist for post attack. I think what it was a DSV and DEV checklist all rolled into one. I know you went out into the hole and checked for damage and to make sure everything still worked. If you found things that were inop there were things you could do to get stuff up and running.I was trying to remember if they had you go topside to check for damage. I f so I guess thats how you would know if the blast took out the stops on the silo door. Only ran that checklist one time and that was at Vandenburg during upgrade. I remember it was a long checklist guess thats why the wing never really had you do it on regular trainer rides

There were repair checklists in PARPS that could be entered without being hit with a NUDET.

On one of the alerts where we got an actual message we had to use PARPS to close a shutoff/isolation valve on level 2 of the equipment area (near the chillers).
381st SMW - Titan II BMAT, Instructor Shop
321st SMW - MMII CDB (Deuce) Ops
321st SMW/321st OMMS Mechanical Branch Chief
42nd Air Division Safety
Defense Nuclear Agency - Stockpile Operations
D Preidis
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby bedbug on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:53 pm

This picture of the silo door may not have the rails sections removed.

From the looks of the diagram in the (silo door post) the door would have to smash 5 or 6 feet of the bumper
before the wheels would drop in the hole.

If the door ran off the track I would think you would need some very heavy lift equiptment to lift the
back edge of the door to get in back on the track.

I remember a report that the slow down pistons did not return to the extended position and the next time
it was opened the door broke the cables and cut off the vertical stops. Believe it happened at Vandy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MFT crew 43
570th SMS D-M 1963 to 66
2 T-II launches down test range.
bedbug
3 RVs
3 RVs

PreviousNext

Return to Titan II