Titan II Guidance

For general discussion with your fellow Titan II crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly based at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, Little Rock AFB, AR, and McConnell AFB, KS. On Alert from 31 Dec 1963 to 23 June 1987. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Re: Titan II Guidance

Postby Penson on Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:15 pm

bedbug wrote:Were their any T-II on alert during the Cuba thing?

No. Cuban Missile Crisis was Oct 62. Titan II went on alert early in 63.
Chuck Penson
Statements and opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Titan Missile Museum
Penson
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Megawatt on Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:57 am

Penson wrote:Somewhere, recently, I read a comparison of the guidance systems for Titan II and Minuteman. I was amazed to learn that Titan II's guidance set only provided 180 degrees of azimuth. In other words, it could only strike targets north of an east-west line through the silo. Can anyone confirm this AND point me to a reference? So far, I have been unable to locate where I read this. This is what I get for not writing things down immediately!

Thanks for any help.

Which guidance system? The Original or the last one. The original was not restricted by the 180 limit, based on the tech data available.
Megawatt
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Megawatt on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:31 pm

Penson wrote:
bedbug wrote:Were their any T-II on alert during the Cuba thing?

No. Cuban Missile Crisis was Oct 62. Titan II went on alert early in 63.

True, I was working as a civilian at Vandenberg during the Cuban crisis for A/C div of GM. We were testing the original Titan II Guidance System. That event promted me to return to college an retain my draft deferment, so I remember the event vividly.
Megawatt
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Megawatt on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:52 pm

The Titan II tests from Vandenberg and subsequent follow up launches of the birds that had been on alert were definitely not limited by the suggested 180 degree azimuth. While the other comments related to the potential use of Titan II as an FOBS are interesting, those launch officers who were allowed to look at the targeting information, (until the early 70's) are aware of the real purpose and intent of the warhead, if they think it through carefully. There was no purpose in wasting a 9.6 M Ton warhead in an aerial burst over a city with the kind of accuracy of the system. With a two minute reaction capability ( the decoding of the EWO actually took longer than the launch sequence) and the actual key turn to lift off time of less than two minutes, there really was not any need for a FOBS by the US. It is my understanding that after considering the number of warheads that would have to be in orbit in order to hit a specific group of targets within a reasonable coincidence in time (remember orbital mechanics), and the danger that a decay in the orbit of one or more of the FOB units could cause, that idea was trashed as being totally impractical and unreliable with the technology of the time.
Megawatt
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:56 pm

O-2 came up around the end of '62, or early '63, to the best of my knowledge. After Cuba, for which the 10th SMS at Malmstrom is called The First Ace In The Hole.

Bad Sam
Bad Sam
220 TII alerts under Arizona ('70-75)
107 (36s & 24s) MMM alerts under Missouri ('75-78)
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Previous

Return to Titan II