My Visit To 571-7 (The Museum)

For general discussion with your fellow Titan II crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly based at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, Little Rock AFB, AR, and McConnell AFB, KS. On Alert from 31 Dec 1963 to 23 June 1987. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Re: My Visit To 571-7 (The Museum)

Postby silo warrior on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:52 pm

hockey85 wrote: The pictures are cool. Looks like he had a good time. The crew blues shirt was a nice touch. How does it feel to go back to a site you pulled your last alert at?
It was funny as soon as I went thru the outer entrance and caught the TITAN II smell it all came back. I started seeing equipment that I had not thought about in years. I even remembered where to duck my head like all the way down the long cableway. Wish we would have had time to do the top to bottom tour. Could have showed him things that most people will never see or did not even know was there. Almost wanted to take my hard hat off and show him a turtle race when we were in the long cablway but thought better not. All in all he had a real good time they gave him a card that says he got to turn keys at the Titan Missile Mueseum. I was on an instructor crew when I pulled my last alert. Gave a site tour to the SAC Public Affairs Commander. They were getting ready to start the deactivation and he was sent out to see the sites so he could talk to the media and sound like he knew what he was talking about. One other thing I noticed was how quiet it was. It was never that quiet unless we had lost all ac power and diesel did not come on line.

Silo Warrior 8)
BMAT/ H31670F/" Enlisted Combat Crew Member" 571 SMS/ 390th SMW 78-82
317 alerts under Arizona.
silo warrior
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby D Preidis on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:23 am

silo warrior wrote:
hockey85 wrote: The pictures are cool. Looks like he had a good time. The crew blues shirt was a nice touch. How does it feel to go back to a site you pulled your last alert at?
It was funny as soon as I went thru the outer entrance and caught the TITAN II smell it all came back...>SNIP<
Silo Warrior 8)

That smell is not just in the Titan system. The same smell permeates the Minuteman capsules as well. After I earned my Commission and went through IQT again it was like old home week when I went down into a Minuteman capsule after a few years off for college and training.

I thought I would be away from that smell forever after I was stationed in Washington DC but I was given the duty to run my Agencies' spaces at Site "R." The first time I went there to do an inventory and take custody from the outgoing Officer I walked past security and through the blast door, the smell hit me and years of memories came back from my Titan II and Minuteman days.

That smell; years of recycled air, hydraulic fluid, old food, human "funk" and the mix of other things is the same in any underground site. I bet the old Soviet site smell the same except with a hint of cabbage.
381st SMW - Titan II BMAT, Instructor Shop
321st SMW - MMII CDB (Deuce) Ops
321st SMW/321st OMMS Mechanical Branch Chief
42nd Air Division Safety
Defense Nuclear Agency - Stockpile Operations
D Preidis
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby njh621 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:54 am

silo warrior wrote:It was funny as soon as I went thru the outer entrance and caught the TITAN II smell it all came back.
Silo Warrior 8)

A volunteer at the museum, who is also Air National Guard (previously active duty), calls it "old government building" smell. Always a good day when I catch that scent. Now the smell of 20+ deactivated Titan II site on the other hand... :lol:
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
Electrical Engineer ("In training")
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:35 am

I attended the Wing Deactivation Ceremony at D-M in '84, and in '94 went to the 10th anniversary reunion. The first thing I noticed at 1-7 was that it didn't smell the same to me. I attributed that to having the doors open most of the time. Didn't have the smell in '04, either.

At Whiteman (late '70s0, some C-5s showed up because of hurricanes back east. Went thru one, and it smelled a lot like a MM LCC.

Bad Sam
Bad Sam
220 TII alerts under Arizona ('70-75)
107 (36s & 24s) MMM alerts under Missouri ('75-78)
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby nasa1974 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:54 pm

It is funny how certain smells trigger the memory. They put a new entrance on building 15 and as soon as I stepped into the foyer it took me back to the LF. They used some type of rubberized tile and it had a smell just like the Launch Facilities. The building I am currently in takes me back to Lackland. The entrance has a small heater in it and when it operates on cold days it reminds me of my barracks back in Lackland.
Aug/71 - Apr/74 FEW
MM I & MM III
31650G 90th Msl Maint Sq SAC
nasa1974
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:38 am

I've heard that smell goes deep into the brain--it's not a thinking process. So it can really take you back. Showed up in an episode of M*A*S*H at least one time, for that reason.

Bad Sam
Bad Sam
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Mon May 07, 2012 9:31 pm

My son just sent me these two pix for desktop wallpaper:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_A-B3wReRLFw/T ... G_5148.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yzsH9oFgmuE/T ... 766670.jpg

Bad Sam
220 alerts beneath the sand and saguaro (and cholla, ocotilla, palo verde, yucca, maybe a roadrunner or two)
Bad Sam
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby Scruge on Mon May 07, 2012 9:40 pm

TerrorOfTucson wrote:My son just sent me these two pix for desktop wallpaper:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_A-B3wReRLFw/T ... G_5148.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yzsH9oFgmuE/T ... 766670.jpg

Bad Sam
220 alerts beneath the sand and saguaro (and cholla, ocotilla, palo verde, yucca, maybe a roadrunner or two)

I have picture like the second one that I tried to get printed on my Visa card but my bank rejected without a reason.. I tried several times.
BMFT
Crew R-058 570-05 acp
570SMS DMAFB 71-74
Scruge
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Wed May 09, 2012 12:42 am

It's clearly a pic of the museum bird, but it's a close match for the picture on the cover page of the -1.

It's my new desktop background.

Bad Sam
Bad Sam
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby silo warrior on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:51 pm

Yesterday I took my grandson to the museum for a top to bottom tour. We had a great time. Both of the tour guides had been in SAC at the SAC command post and were really good. I saw things that I had not thought about in over thirty years. It did not take long and it all started to come back. One thing was I remembered the silo elevator as being larger maybe because there were usually just two of us going out to the silo. We got to go down to the into the flame deflector and look up at the bird and saw the exhaust ducts. One other thing is diesel is still leaking oil after thirty years. The other people on the tour wanted to use the ladders to go from level to level but not me I remembered it was not that much fun I used the elevator. I recommend the top to bottom tour to everyone especially all the old crew members . Took along my copy of The TITAN II Handbook by Chuck Penson he was there and was kind enough to sign it for me.

Silo Warrior :D
silo warrior
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:51 pm

My last visit ('04 reunion--October), we had 7 of us crammed into the elevator, without the gas masks (we'd have had to put some on the floor and hold the others over our heads, if we did). We all said how we were slimmer back in the day.

I'm planning to go there this October--will have to take my copy of Penson's book. Hadn't thought of that. Don't think the top to bottom tour will be fun for the wife.

Bad Sam
Bad Sam
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby silo warrior on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:43 am

There was one other thing I found. While we were on level 8 I was lookong around by the dehumidfier and what did I spy, a PVD I pulled it out from the wall and showed it to my grandson, The tour guides did not know what it was I explained to to everyone how it worked and they picked it up to see what we had to carry when the MSA was down. Told them that I still have one arm longer than the other from carrying it. They should put it in the Control Center so all the Visitors can see it. Level 8 is there storage space they have all kind of stuff stored down there saw CHEMOX and a GAG BAG. They should bring booms and rags and the visitors can help clean the levels just like the old days.

Silo Warrior 8)
silo warrior
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby SAC Killer on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:23 am

silo warrior wrote:There was one other thing I found. While we were on level 8 I was lookong around by the dehumidfier and what did I spy, a PVD I pulled it out from the wall and showed it to my grandson, The tour guides did not know what it was I explained to to everyone how it worked and they picked it up to see what we had to carry when the MSA was down. Told them that I still have one arm longer than the other from carrying it. They should put it in the Control Center so all the Visitors can see it. Level 8 is there storage space they have all kind of stuff stored down there saw CHEMOX and a GAG BAG. They should bring booms and rags and the visitors can help clean the levels just like the old days.

Silo Warrior 8)

Chemox, HA! Once at Malfunction Junction, in monthly missile training, the instructor was one of those naturally funny people. He later made BG. Imagine, a general officer who is a comic! Anyway, he went right through the class, student by student, and had each one state one Chemox TO step in order. The first guy got out of that by saying, "Open the box." The next guy, sweating bullets, said, "Take the Chemox unit out of the box." And then the instructor looked at me, saying something like, okay, now the pressure is on you, what's next? I said, "Take the canister out of the box!" And it went downhill from there. It was hilarious.

Sometimes SAC did have a sense of humor! And General Tom (long retired, I'm sure) I hope you are doing well, wherever you are! And I might not get all the steps exactly in sequence, but I could probably still don a Chemox and survive.)
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:54 pm

Who was General Tom? I remember Lance Lord from a SMES visit when I was in DOV (likely my first one, '72 IIRC). John (Steve) Boone was Sr. Crew Dep in DOV when I was in DOV. Jerry (Mike) Drennan was a DOV Dep when I was in DOV at Whiteman.

Look up bios here: http://www.af.mil/information/bios/ and enter info at block

On one of my early evals as a MCCC, I had to don Chemox. Got the mask on, tightened up, and then had a terrible time finding the cord. Found it, pulled, and cut a finger (not badly). Went to Hosp. for tetanus shot. I forget whether before the eval briefing, or after.

Bad Sam
Bad Sam
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Previous

Return to Titan II