My Visit To 571-7 (The Museum)

For general discussion with your fellow Titan II crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly based at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, Little Rock AFB, AR, and McConnell AFB, KS. On Alert from 31 Dec 1963 to 23 June 1987. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Re: My Visit To 571-7 (The Museum)

Postby eschling on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:19 am

I am hoping somewhere out there a 390th vet can help me clear up a puzzle about 1-1. If you look at the site on Google Earth (shows up as #2, east of Benson), you wll notice a darker shaded area north of the access road. This area is obviously the construction laydown area with the large building pad on the right side. Inside this darker area is much lighter square. This lighter square is acually part of the parcel for the site, and is connected to the access road by a 20' strip on the parcel map. The only item of interest in this area is a wooden post stll sticking up with an empty conduit attached to it. Would any one know what this area might have been used for? Thanks to all, Ed
I'm going to start a new topic for "site mysteries".
Ed the Squid Cold Warrior
USS John F Kennedy (CVA-67)
USS Mississippi (CGN-40)
Owner, 571-1
eschling
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby njh621 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:21 pm

Ed,
I posted a message yesterday, but as I am camping up at Kelley's Island, I'm at the mercy of whatever wireless is available, and the one I was on last was horrible :). First off, thank you for serving the country (that goes to all other former and active military personnel that reads this as well).

Second off, I'd like to point out a small bit of irony. Originally, I intended to make 1-1 my home, because it was an ACP (I have a preference for ACPs, for reasons I don't even know). When Chuck had told me the site had been sold while I was there on my trip, I was a little disappointed. I knew that 1-1 could very well be slated for a fate like many other Titan II sites (ie, building over the sites, mining them for fill dirt, etc). Knowing now that you are the owner of 1-1, I can sleep a heck of a lot easier! I almost ended up visiting the site, but since my GPS unit could only take street names, I could only plug in the last named street and wing it from there (I missed a few sites that way). When I took a look with google earth, I was on the right road but I missed the flipping access road!

Regarding your question, I believe the pad you've found was the quonset hut area. When they were building the sites, they built a quonset hut for the construction process. When the construction was finished they removed the hut. I saw your post on site mysteries. I've got a spreadsheet I made from the deactivation blueprints that shows the differences between sites (Chuck modified it so that it is easier to read). I'll be sure to send it to you.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
Electrical Engineer ("In training")
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby Penson on Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:40 pm

eschling wrote:Not too much, You?. Been cleaning up the property, clearing out brush and garbage. We found the mystery second well.

Sorry to take so long getting back to you. Am stranded on dial-up for a couple of days.

Happy to hear you are making some progress out there. Good news on the well. Any word on the people who have been tapping your other one for so long? Let me know when you are going to be out there and I'll try to stop by and look over your shoulder for a while.

On another post you made -- Nick is correct. The pad you refer to is from a Quonset building from the days of construction.

Not much happening out here. Busy as always at the museum. Good news: Am essentially done with the book. I'll be getting it back from graphic design this week. After I have a few days to look at it, it goes to the printer. Yipee! Will be glad to be done with the project.

Cheers,
Chuck Penson
Statements and opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Titan Missile Museum
Penson
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby eschling on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:56 am

Thanks guys,
The quonset hut pad is clearly visible on the right side of of the darkened area, it is typical of all the sites, 100' long, 40' wide with concrete ramps on both ends in the middle. What I am trying to determine is the purpose of the square, lighter colored earth patch towards the middle, just above the first curve in the access road. It measures 150X200 and is on a NW/SE axis. I've overlaid the parcel map on Google Earth and its a perfect match. I wish I knew how to post a few pictures, looks like you have to have them on a server to post them here.
Nick, thanks for compliment, I was just a very small cog in a very large military wheel, but none the less proud to be a part of it. you know, maybe I was sort of a missileer since I helped drive the twin SM-2 and Harpoon launchers around the ocean....:)
USS Mississippi (CGN-40)
Owner, 571-1
eschling
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Penson on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:41 pm

eschling wrote:What I am trying to determine is the purpose of the square, lighter colored earth patch towards the middle, just above the first curve in the access road. It measures 150X200 and is on a NW/SE axis.

I have a set of AF aerial photos of all the sites, probably taken in the mid 60s. I'll have a look at 1-1 on Thu and seen if there is anything that would account for the square in question. I scanned all of these and thought maybe I sent you a copy of this a while back. But maybe not.

The larger dark area to the NE of the complex was the "spoils area," I think. That may be on you blueprint.
Chuck Penson
Statements and opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Titan Missile Museum
Penson
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Penson on Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:48 pm

eschling wrote:What I am trying to determine is the purpose of the square, lighter colored earth patch towards the middle, just above the first curve in the access road. It measures 150X200 and is on a NW/SE axis.

I looked at the photo of 1-1 this morning. The light patch you refer to shows up clearly. Unfortunately, there is no real clue as to it's origin. No exact date on the photo but the silo door has the dog ears so it has to be some time after about 1966.

It is interesting to note than in the photo the desert has reclaimed the NW half of that much larger area, including part of the lighter patch within. That tells me the light patch dates from nearly the time of construction, and was not a more recent addition.

The file is 30 MB so I can't email it.
Chuck Penson
Penson
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby eschling on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:58 pm

thanks for lookling at it Chuck. You gave me the hi res photo a while back, it does show up rather glaringly on it, kind of odd isn't it. I have a county parcel map of 1-8 from a few years ago and it has a similar size qirky little tract which extends to the east of the HF soft antenna. Who knows.
Hey I forgot to tell you earlier, GOOD LUCK! with the new book. I saw a preview somewhere on the net, looks like a winner. I have already reserved a spot on my bookshelf for a copy (autographed by the author of course). Ed
USS Mississippi (CGN-40)
Owner, 571-1
eschling
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby pp8010 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:34 am

Chuck:

I just checked out the web page for your book coming out in September. If we pre-pay now, are we automatically on the list for the first ship date? Also, how can we get a signed copy.

I am eagerly anticipating it!

Best,

Patrick Pipino
Saratoga Springs, NY
pp8010

Postby hockey85 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:05 am

I'm eagerly waiting as well!

Cory
PAX ORBIS PER ARMA AERIA
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Penson on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:19 pm

pp8010 wrote:If we pre-pay now, are we automatically on the list for the first ship date? Also, how can we get a signed copy

Patrick;

Hadn't really thought about pre-orders, but I guess that would be fine. Yes, those would be the first to ship. And I would happy to sign it for you.

Cheers,
Chuck Penson
Penson
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby bedbug on Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:42 pm

Where do I find the wab Page for the book?

What is the book about?
MFT crew 43
570th SMS D-M 1963 to 66
2 T-II launches down test range.
bedbug
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby njh621 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:02 pm

The book is a handbook about Titan II in general. It's highly informational, and it goes great with "Titan II: A History of a Cold War Missile Program". The website is:
http://titan2handbook.com/
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby Megawatt on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:14 pm

bedbug wrote:They must have changed rules a lot. In 1966 the officers could not leave control center. My MCCC ask several times to run the check list with me in the silo and was turned down. He might be traped by blast doors problems. Sounds like, if I was traped they would have launched any.

On my third or fourth alert in 1968, as DMCCC, our Wing King, Col Ted Michael, insisted that I go on a complete inspection tour of 532-3 in thr silo with him and our MFT, so they certainly had changed the officer leaving the control center rule at that tiem. On the other hand, the areas on level two and the entire area beyond the blast door to the cable way were no-lone zones, so if you had been trapped you would have had company. Crew change did require the two officers from each crew to be on level two, because of the inventory of classified documents, etc.
Megawatt
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby njh621 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:42 am

Waaayy back in this thread Doug mentioned the helipads with B52 nosecone covers. Well, I found official reference to them in the McConnell deact prints, so I thought I'd share the diagram. The curious thing I noticed when I flipped through the prints, is why they instructed to pretty much leave everything at 533-7. Maybe they were going to turn it into a museum or a memorial. The other thing was the purpose of the orange and black/true north pole.

-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby hockey85 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:58 am

McConnell AFB is near Wichita, KS, where one of the Boeing production plants was located, which made B-52's. Hence, probably why they had surplus nose cones to make into shelters.

Cory
PAX ORBIS PER ARMA AERIA
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Titan II