My Visit To 571-7 (The Museum)

For general discussion with your fellow Titan II crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly based at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, Little Rock AFB, AR, and McConnell AFB, KS. On Alert from 31 Dec 1963 to 23 June 1987. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Re: My Visit To 571-7 (The Museum)

Postby njh621 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:53 am

Luckily, there was enough limit for me to upload some of the pictures I got at 571-3. Enjoy!

Guidance marker with fence:

Hardstand drain (filled in):

HF Discage Antenna base (I'm fairly sure, the base was in the middle of a square section of fence, away from the rest of the site):

Access Portal, with concrete stair landing remaining:

Access Portal piping and rebar:

Access Portal, with phone bases and other misc. piping:

Manhole J:

IRCS Antenna Silo:

IRCS Antenna Silo #2:

IRCS Soft Antenna Pad (or possibly, repeater antenna base):

Me, standing in front of the property sign (I joked about moving that decimal point over; no way that guy is going to get $900,000 for an un-improved site):
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
Electrical Engineer ("In training")
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby eschling on Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:27 am

Hi Nick, had to laugh when you told the story about "crazy Betty". I believe you met a lady by the name of Brandii Carrillo. She lives next door to 1-2 and is sort of the unoficial caretaker for the site owner who lives in California. I've heard she is a little ecentric although I've never met her. Her ranch house has a pretty good view of the access road and I think there is a dirt road from her place that connects to it. Thats how you were busted!
Ed the Squid Cold Warrior
USS John F Kennedy (CVA-67)
USS Mississippi (CGN-40)
Owner, 571-1
eschling
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby njh621 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:40 am

Thanks for the info! I had a feeling she might have been a caretaker of sorts. I didn't really get a good look at her; she was there and gone. Judging from all of the broken glass on the hardstand, it looks like the site had visitors that weren't there for the historical aspect, so I could understand the quick response.

Shame that we got kicked off; the only remains I got a good look at were the hardstands, the gate phone base, and a far-off view of a fenced well.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby Penson on Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:24 pm

njh621 wrote:Thanks for the info! I had a feeling she might have been a caretaker of sorts.

She is probably a self-declared caretaker. The owner of the site has asked me on two occasions to go out and look at the property for him and report back, both times related to possible development on adjacent land. I live NW of Tucson and it is a LONG drive from my place to 1-2. So it is unlikely Betty was acting in any official capacity. Probably trying to be a good neighbor in her own peculiar way.

BTW -- 1-2 has apparently been sold (or will soon be sold) to a developer who owns adjacent land. The developer contacted the Titan Missile Museum about two month ago, looking for blueprints related to the well and water lines. The person I met with said they were in the "due diligence" phase.

If 1-2 has been sold that leaves only one site (0-2) for sale, and I met with an person a couple of months ago who expressed an interest in the property.
Chuck Penson
Statements and opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Titan Missile Museum
Penson
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby njh621 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:56 pm

If 1-2 has been sold that leaves only one site (0-2) for sale, and I met with an person a couple of months ago who expressed an interest in the property.

Meh...I thought 0-2 was owned by the county, and isn't that the site used for museum field trips? As far as I know, 1-8 and 1-3 are still for sale (I took a picture of the giant "For Sale" sign at 1-3). I'll be keeping an eye out for the ACP sites.

Is the developer at 1-2 going to build over the site, or use some of the abandoned structures?
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby Penson on Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:10 pm

njh621 wrote:
Meh...I thought 0-2 was owned by the county, and isn't that the site used for museum field trips? As far as I know, 1-8 and 1-3 are still for sale (I took a picture of the giant "For Sale" sign at 1-3). I'll be keeping an eye out for the ACP sites. Is the developer at 1-2 going to build over the site, or use some of the abandoned structures?

0-2 is owned by Applebaum. 1-4 (now posted no trespassing) and 1-9 are owned by the county. 1-8 was sold a few months ago (and went real cheap, I might add). You are correct, 1-3 is still for sale. ACP 1-1 sold about six months ago. The owner plans to develop an RV park, but has expressed some interest in excavating the LCC. ACP 0-5 is in private hands and is not for sale as far as I know.
Chuck Penson
Statements and opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Titan Missile Museum
Penson
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby eschling on Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:04 pm

Hi Chuck, long time no see....
Theresa (for Applebaum) gave me the lady's name and said she was watching over the property at 1-2 for them back when we were talking with them about 1-1.. Also, I talked to a guy in Benson about 6 weeks ago who told me his family had bought the 1-3 property, for a lot less than the $900K on the sign (I think he said 300K). There was some talk about building a motel or something of that sort. I have since been out there and as Nick mentioned there is now tempory fencing and what looks like parking areas graded along the access road. There was a sign on a locked gate that said "Event Entrance" , so I'm not sure what is going on out there.
USS Mississippi (CGN-40)
Owner, 571-1
eschling
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby njh621 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:19 pm

Now why am I getting the ominous feeling my 390th SMW silo house might become nothing more than a nice idea...Did someone see the "DREAM DISSIPATION" light on the CMG come on :? ?

As long as the county has those two sites I guess I can sleep a little easier. 1-5 is in good hands as well, and they've accessed their LCC. Any idea what 1-8 went for? I was looking at that as a backup, and because it was close to the museum. As long as there is a site in about eight years that hasn't been drastically altered, I'll be good.

Perhaps I should start putting my rehab ideas onto paper? Maybe the site owners could use them. I must have come up with about five ways to run power in the LCC alone.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby eschling on Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:33 pm

Hey, I think we would all love to hear about your ideas for rehab'n the LCC. Don't hold back :D
USS Mississippi (CGN-40)
Owner, 571-1
eschling
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby njh621 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:00 pm

I'll post them in a new topic.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby Penson on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:09 pm

eschling wrote:Hi Chuck, long time no see....

Indeed! What's going on?
Chuck Penson
Penson
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby eschling on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:40 pm

Not too much, You?. Been cleaning up the property, clearing out brush and garbage. We found the mystery second well. The casing was cut off at grade and capped over, all buried under gravel. There were enough clues on those prints you helped me with to locate it. Had a 20' concrete plug about 300' down we(well driller) had to drill through, looks like it's going to be a usable well. This is a good thing. Its about 50' from the south property line almost in the middle east to west. The security patrol road runs between it and the security fence. This well probably didn't produce enough to meet AF specs, hence the other well across the wash. Other than that haven't done much.
USS Mississippi (CGN-40)
Owner, 571-1
eschling
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby eschling on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:01 pm

njh621 wrote:Now why am I getting the ominous feeling my 390th SMW silo house might become nothing more than a nice idea...Did someone see the "DREAM DISSIPATION" light on the CMG come on :? ?

As long as the county has those two sites I guess I can sleep a little easier. 1-5 is in good hands as well, and they've accessed their LCC. Any idea what 1-8 went for? I was looking at that as a backup, and because it was close to the museum. As long as there is a site in about eight years that hasn't been drastically altered, I'll be good.

Perhaps I should start putting my rehab ideas onto paper? Maybe the site owners could use them. I must have come up with about five ways to run power in the LCC alone.

Nick, don't give up on your dream. I have "visited" all the sites in AZ over the years, they do tend to change hands now and then. I think of all of them 1-5 is actually one of the nicest location-wise being up near the mountains. That would be sweet if you were able to snag that one someday! Isn't 1-8 the one all the way down towards Sells and the border? Its a pretty long ways out of Tucson.
USS Mississippi (CGN-40)
Owner, 571-1
eschling
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby njh621 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:09 am

Nick, don't give up on your dream.

I'm not, that was me venting some frustration when I learned the fate of those few sites. I'm not giving on up this one, not this easily :).

I think of all of them 1-5 is actually one of the nicest location-wise

I liked 1-5, but the odd elevation of the site wasn't something I cared for (the antenna silos and air shaft are about 20 feet above the access portal). The mountain view, however, was absolutely beautiful.

Based on what I'm hearing, I'm liking 0-2. I can always rehab a site and make it look like an ACP, regardless of which one I end up with. I'm hoping for a 571st SMS site.

Been cleaning up the property, clearing out brush and garbage. We found the mystery second well. The casing was cut off at grade and capped over, all buried under gravel. [SNIP]

Based on this, I'm assuming you are a site owner. What site do you own and what are your rehab plans?
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby eschling on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:13 pm

Yes, my wife and I became the owners of 1-1 about a year ago. Your enthusiasm about T2 suggests we have that in common, except you are a good deal younger! IMO these old sites are national treasures, as are the men and women who manned them. "Battle fields of the cold war" as its been said. We are honored to be the owners of the property.

We started looking into buying one of them about 12 or 13 years ago. My kids and I would spend our weekends exploring the desert and the missle sites. Took us till last year to make a deal on 1-1. Almost owned a different one; we were outbid a few years ago on 1-8 which was being auctioned in an estate distribution. 1-1 is just outside of Benson which we have come to love in the last year. We hope to retire there in a year or two and live on the site. It's funny, I have met a lot of Bensonites who have lived there all there lives and didn't know 1-1, and 1-2 on the other side of town, were even there. USAF must have kept a low profile!

As you could tell, we are trying to reopen the well on the site. This particular well was drilled and then abandoned for what we think was lack of capacity for the site. Its original pumping data was about 5 gpm. Plenty for a residence, maybe not enough for AF needs. The second well which was used by the AF is about 250 yards off the property and was rated at 15 gpm. It has been since decom and still is being used to supply water for the cattle ranch which surrounds the site for miles in all directions. The ranchers were pretty surprised when I informed them I was the owner of the well they were using...but thats a whole different story.

For now we are just trying to get water and then power on the property so we can park our RV on the fuel hardstand and enjoy the peace and quiet. I most definitely plan on excavating the access portal and cleaning up the LCC.

BTW, I was not a missileer, however I did do my small part to fight the cold war in the hot engine room of a Navy nuclear powered guided missle cruiser, while we chased Russian subs around the Atlantic back in the late 70's and early 80's.
Last edited by eschling on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
USS Mississippi (CGN-40)
Owner, 571-1
eschling
2 RVs
2 RVs

PreviousNext

Return to Titan II