Any Titan 'war' or 'ghost' stories?

For general discussion with your fellow Titan II crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly based at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, Little Rock AFB, AR, and McConnell AFB, KS. On Alert from 31 Dec 1963 to 23 June 1987. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Any Titan 'war' or 'ghost' stories?

Postby SAC_COP on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:55 pm

Does anyone here remember the strange goings on around 373-4? It was an almost unspoken, but common knowledge given that 'strange' things just seemed to happen more around that site than around any other in 'the field'. I know that on more than one occasion when we'd arrive to pull a 'Strike' on the complex, once we got within 20 meters of the complex, we'd find ourselves unable to comm with CSC with our vehicle or hand-held radios and would have to have the MCCC 'relay' for us using one of the topside handsets. It was always chalked up to "atmospheric interference", but that story got fishy after the 3rd or 4th time, especially since it didn't matter if it was day or night, clear or cloudy.
SAC_COP
2 RVs
2 RVs

Re: Any Titan 'war' or 'ghost' stories?

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:00 pm

Was 3-4 the one that burned when the contractor crew burned thru a pressurized hydraulic line in the silo, taking out some 52-54 men? My flight commander at D-M, Maj. Dave Yount, told me he was the MCCC on duty there that day. He subsequently heard odd noises there.

Bad Sam
Bad Sam
220 TII alerts under Arizona ('70-75)
107 (36s & 24s) MMM alerts under Missouri ('75-78)
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby sherwood on Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:18 pm

TerrorOfTucson wrote:Was 3-4 the one that burned when the contractor crew burned thru a pressurized hydraulic line in the silo, taking out some 52-54 men? My flight commander at D-M, Maj. Dave Yount, told me he was the MCCC on duty there that day. He subsequently heard odd noises there.

Bad Sam

That's the one.

I posted http://www.missileforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27&start=15 back in January about an experience I had there in the silo involving the elevator, accompanied by the site crew chief (next to last msg).
sherwood
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby titanguy38 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:17 am

Those 3-4 "ghost" stories were common gossip/knowledge throughout the T-II bases during the 1970's.....though I think many crews at other bases & sites had strange experiences too, especially during "midnight walkthru's".....like hearing wierd noises (including elevator and LD door openning and closing sounds) when we knew there wasn't anyone else around. Of course, being tired and sleepy during early AM hours didn't help either! :lol:
titanguy38

Postby titanguy38 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:30 am

If you want a good "war" story, during the summer of 1978 we had some real-life NORAD computer system glitches which helped inspire the movie "War Games"....temporarily putting us into higher DEFCON levels, and was enough to wake everyone up in SAC with some added "pucker factor" for a couple of days. Times like that let us all realize just how little it takes for the "Cold War" to turn into a real HOT one!
titanguy38

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:25 am

When I was at the '04 DM reunion, a colonel told me that in the '60s, Project 100,000 (to enlist those who wouldn't quite meet the standards) got a number of guys into the SPs. He (as an MCCC) had one on topside guard at 1-4, who called down in a bit of a panic, having seen a gray curved thing passing by on the other side of the mountains. Up he comes, and sees that it is a Goodyear Blimp, up for a broadcast of a UofA football game.

Bad Sam
Bad Sam
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:02 am

Might have been 1-5, which seems more likely to me. I find I only have memories of 1-1,1-5,1-7, and 1-8; and 0-1,0-2,0-3 (vaguely),0-5,0-7, and 0-9. All I remember of 0-8 was having a flat returning from 0-8 and finding the lug wrench was for a truck, and being happy that the 0-7 crew was almost certain to be coming along, with a correct lugwrench (they did).

Bad Sam
Bad Sam
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby njh621 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:13 pm

TerrorOfTucson wrote:Might have been 1-5, which seems more likely to me. I find I only have memories of 1-1,1-5,1-7, and 1-8; and 0-1,0-2,0-3 (vaguely),0-5,0-7, and 0-9. All I remember of 0-8 was having a flat returning from 0-8 and finding the lug wrench was for a truck, and being happy that the 0-7 crew was almost certain to be coming along, with a correct lugwrench (they did).

Bad Sam

Remember any quirks about 1-7 or 1-8? I was told by Captain Gimmi that 1-7 had some sewage issues at one point. 0-8 has been described to me as the "Rattlesnake hill" site. 0-1, 0-7, 0-8, and 1-6 are the only 390th sites I haven't been to. Although "technically" I've been to 0-1 because I visited BioSphere2, and 0-1 is quite literally across the road. I knew I smelled missile site when I was there. (Residual oxidizer, or sewage? :lol: )
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
Electrical Engineer ("In training")
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:37 pm

When I went to the '04 reunion, I came down Hwy77 from Florence, turned left at Oracle Junction, and looked for 0-1. Just did not see anything that looked familiar. Started down the Biosphere road, but turned around. I never saw any rattlesnakes at any site; no scorpions, no animals.

0-1 had some rattles in the night; sounded like one of the chains. Likely just a harmonic from the air handler system. Each site sounded a little different; nothing went quite where it was at another site, or was adjusted the same. As I said elsewhere, I observed an Oly play at 1-7 (Col. Austin Thomas, the incoming DCO was there) during which one of the T-locks didn't unlock. I don't remember any real site peculiarities.

Bad Sam
Bad Sam
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby SAC Killer on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:39 pm

titanguy38 wrote:If you want a good "war" story, during the summer of 1978 we had some real-life NORAD computer system glitches which helped inspire the movie "War Games"....temporarily putting us into higher DEFCON levels, and was enough to wake everyone up in SAC with some added "pucker factor" for a couple of days. Times like that let us all realize just how little it takes for the "Cold War" to turn into a real HOT one!

This sort of thing happened more than once. During the Yom Kipper War, Tricky Dick put the force on a higher DEFCON. Not going into anything else; not sure what is still classified and what is not. But I read about the Yom Kipper thing in a magazine.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby njh621 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:18 pm

TerrorOfTucson wrote:When I went to the '04 reunion, I came down Hwy77 from Florence, turned left at Oracle Junction, and looked for 0-1. Just did not see anything that looked familiar. Started down the Biosphere road, but turned around. I never saw any rattlesnakes at any site; no scorpions, no animals.

Bad Sam

A gravel company bought the site and dozed over the access road. (This isn't my photo.) Almost hard to tell this is a site.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
Electrical Engineer ("In training")
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:34 am

Well, I can't tell it usta be.

Bad Sam
Bad Sam
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby RFHCO on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:55 pm

I pulled a tank watch at 3-4 during a recycle back in the 80s. The equipment elevator at the portal kept coming topside with nobody on it. We thought the crew was messing with us by placing something under the switch. However, we got a call in the control trailer asking us if WE were the ones trying to pull a fast one. We sent the elevator back down, and an hour or so later it came back up by itself. That kind of stuff happened all the time at 3-4.
RFHCO

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:50 pm

Rereading my post, a correction: Maj. Yount was my Sector Commander.
Bad Sam
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby RFHCO on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:02 pm

Here is a war story. Another time I was pulling a tank watch, the SAC cops were playing war games at and around the complex I was at. I can't remember which site it was, but one of my friends who was a sac cop called me and asked me to keep an eye on the topside because they were testing the response teams from a sector. The supervisor showed up and told me to stay in the control trailer because he was evaluating his troops. I noticed from the trailer that he removed the grate from the drain on the fuel hard stand and got inside the drain and replaced the grate. When my friend showed up, he had the crew let him in, and while his partner went one way, he came over to see us. I couldn't resist, so I told him where the guy was hiding, so he drove the vehicle onto the fuel hard stand, and placed the tire on the grate. Then he took a piss in the drain! That was the best laugh I had in a long time!
RFHCO

Next

Return to Titan II