Level 3 Silo Floor

For general discussion with your fellow Titan II crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly based at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, Little Rock AFB, AR, and McConnell AFB, KS. On Alert from 31 Dec 1963 to 23 June 1987. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Level 3 Silo Floor

Postby silo warrior on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:49 pm

While I was on crew there was always talk about why silo level three floor was concrete. Some of the reasons thrown out were it was the top of the hard water tank. Another was it was where the thrust mounts were secured to the silo. Some people said it was because of the diesel. The diesel was hung from level two so that was not right, after looking at several drawings I see that level three was where the silo air intake and exhaust shafts came in dont know if that had any thing to do with it. It was strange that that level was concrete and the levels above and below were steel floors with shock isolation. If anyone knows the real reason I would would sure like to know.

Silo Warrior :?
BMAT/ H31670F/" Enlisted Combat Crew Member" 571 SMS/ 390th SMW 78-82
317 alerts under Arizona.
silo warrior
3 RVs
3 RVs

Re: Level 3 Silo Floor

Postby njh621 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:35 am

If memory serves it was part of the structural system of the silo; it braced the cylindrical structure of the silo, like a reinforcing band around the center of a tank. Looking at the blueprints I have showing the silo structure, the thrust mount springs are anchored on level 4.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
Electrical Engineer ("In training")
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Re: Level 3 Silo Floor

Postby silo warrior on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:35 pm

Thanks Nick I kind of figured it was concrete for support of the Silo and Launch Duct. It was always a favorite question of Standboard to crewmembers on upgrade checks. Most upgrade crew members were instructed that if Standboard asked you a question during a check that you did not know the answer to you always told them you would research the tech data and get back to them. Hopefully they woud forget about the question and never bother you with it again. I think thats why they asked that question was that there were no clear cut answers to it. Another favorite question of Sandboard was what was the most important antenna on the complex ? The right answer THE TV ANTENNA!!!!

Silo Warrior :D
BMAT/ H31670F/" Enlisted Combat Crew Member" 571 SMS/ 390th SMW 78-82
317 alerts under Arizona.
silo warrior
3 RVs
3 RVs

Return to Titan II