Anybody else reading new book: Command and Control: ?

For general discussion with your fellow Titan II crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Formerly based at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, Little Rock AFB, AR, and McConnell AFB, KS. On Alert from 31 Dec 1963 to 23 June 1987. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

Re: Anybody else reading new book: Command and Control: ?

Postby silo warrior on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:50 pm

silo warrior wrote:Looking at the top of the access portal and top of Control Center it looks to me to be between ten to twelve foot below grade. I always thought 1-4 did not have as much fill over the Control Center as the other sites. I am sure that they watched that real close and made sure the contractor placed the proper amount of back fill over every site.

I was on my way back to Phoenix from a job in Midland Texas I stopped by 1-4 and shot the grade from the top of the Control Center to where the grade would have been on the access portal. I got 8ft. 6 in. from the top of Control Center to Access portal. 1-4 was pretty level so I think that they more than likely placed 8 ft. of fill over the Control Center. I took a couple of pictures of the Control Center and Access Portal if I can get them to load I will post them here. If I remember right the site was level but did start to slope off to the west into a small draw.

Silo Warrior 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BMAT/ H31670F/" Enlisted Combat Crew Member" 571 SMS/ 390th SMW 78-82
317 alerts under Arizona.
silo warrior
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:17 pm

I was thinking it was buried at least 10', and maybe 20. Memory gets fuzzy with time.
Bad Sam
220 TII alerts under Arizona ('70-75)
107 (36s & 24s) MMM alerts under Missouri ('75-78)
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby Titan Health Guy on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:30 pm

Get a load of this from across the big pond on the Command and Control book. Not sure Eric would be pleased?

http://www.chbeck.de/fachbuch/zusatzinf ... ontrol.pdf
TITAN II MFT
390 TH SMW
570 AND 571 SQD'S
ACP QUAL
MAVERICK MISSILE MECHANICAL ENGINEER
Titan Health Guy
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:38 am

This appears to be all the footnotes. Not terribly useful without the text to reference.
Bad Sam
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby Titan Health Guy on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:17 pm

silo warrior wrote:
TerrorOfTucson wrote:that would put the top of the LCC about 5' under grade. I thought it was much deeper, but it seems I'm wrong.

Complex 571 -4 is owned by Pima County they used it as a borrow pit and excavated quite of bit of material off of the site. They have exposed about 1/3 of the Control Center dome. Looking at the top of the access portal and top of Control Center it looks to me to be between ten to twelve foot below grade. Silo Warrior 8)

571-4 was my first home site and where our crew volunteered for the 48 hour Alert test. Brings back memories.

I wonder if the removal of the soil had anything to do with contamination? I see from a EPA environmental defense tracking document they had been monitoring a DM Titan Missile site for remediation actions in 2004-2006.

Quoting from the pdf document.

"AIR FORCE - DAVIS-MONTHAN AIR FORCE BASE / AZ957212405500 / C-TECH / C-EST

Progress in FY04
Continued RA-O and LTM for 4 sites. NFRAP old Titan II missile site
after PA/SI. Discovered plume expansion at ST35 upon relocating wells
to enhance SVE cleanup. Discovered new fuel spill sites ST52 and
ST53.

Progress Planned for FY05-FY06
Continue RA-O/LTM for 4 sites. IRA removal near old BX. Investigate
expanded ST35 and investigate/remediate new ST53 fuel leak."

LINK TO PDF DOCUMENT:

https://sites.google.com/site/titan2vet ... emediation
TITAN II MFT
390 TH SMW
570 AND 571 SQD'S
ACP QUAL
MAVERICK MISSILE MECHANICAL ENGINEER
Titan Health Guy
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby RFHCO on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Great Link Health Guy!!!

Those footnotes made a great deal of sense to me... I knew the context as I was reading them. Yes, the footnotes told the story of 4-7 correctly. First, everyone ran but the PTS guys and the two sac cops. Livingston was alive and worried about everyone else. The AF would not confirm or deny what the guys had been exposed to... the doctors didn't know how to treat them. Livy died from pulmonary edema that could have been treated. Kennedy made it because they FINALLY told the doctors what they had been exposed to. However, Kennedy barely made it! Yes, he was pissed!!! They gave him a medal and a LOR in the same breath! They offered Powell an Article 15, but he refused and opted for courts martial, so they threw it out. The footnotes were correct in all aspects... the RFHCO was dilapidated and the ECU (environmental control unit, or air pack) didn't put out enough air, and was a hit or miss if they would even work properly from one time to the next. Sandaker should have been given the Airman's medal... he kept pulling guys out and going back in until all were out safely... I call it pulling a Forrest Gump. However, he was given a handshake and a boot out the door! Sandy was one of the most humble guys I ever met... he NEVER complained. He DID do the interview with Kennedy for 60 minutes (Mike Wallace and crew). Also, the MIMS building at LRAFB, bldg. 430, was supposed to be the Livingston Building FOREVER.... not anymore! It was made into the PAX terminal by AMC. The plaque that was once on the building isn't there anymore. When I was active and out of SAC, I was stationed back at LRAFB, and they had put the plaque out on the wall of the Titan II exhibit in the air park, and few of us old Titan Weenies raised so much crap that they put the plaque back on the building. I still live in the LR area, and drove by the old building, and the plaque is gone again... go figure... The main thing is that we did a job in the Titan II area that has gone by the wayside. I'm talking all of us... Crew, Ops, and Maintenance, and it MATTERED! It seems to me that nobody gives a crap anymore... sorry brothers and sisters, I'm just frustrated. I just want to thank ALL of YOU for your service!!! IT MATTERED!!!!

MSgt Dale A. Warren (ret)
RFHCO

Postby njh621 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:23 pm

1-4 and 1-9 are owned by Pima County and are/were used for "mining" fill dirt. (I'm guessing the dirt is for roadwork-related projects.) The cleanup might be related to something they found while digging, or it could have something to do with 0-3 out by Silverbell Mine (which the BLM is trying to acquire), but the digging was definitely done in the name of mining dirt. 1-4 has been inactive for the better part of a decade, but they are actively haulin' dirt at 1-9. In May 2013 the HF antenna silo was still at grade level. When I went to Tucson about three weeks ago, grade had shifted downward...to the tune of ~15ft.

I took the entrenchment tool I had with me and attempted to probe around for the silo cap and the top of the control center. (The County is getting pretty close to exposing the silo cap.) Wasn't able to get more than a few inches down before the heat got to me. The access portal was at about waist height from current grade, and I did do some digging there. Based on a power conduit I exposed in one of the corners (by what would have been the entrapment cage), there is approximately 6ft of access portal missing. Some of the sites I've seen escaped minimal access portal loss during deactivation (i.e. they still have the concrete stairs). Other sites the contractors went aggressive with the explosives; I visited one site in Arkansas that is missing about 15ft of access portal.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
Electrical Engineer ("In training")
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:34 am

What? They're not fenced off?
Bad Sam
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby eschling on Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:42 am

Kind of sort of....They have gates up on the access road but thats about it. You can get a vehicle on them using back roads, probably....
Ed the Squid Cold Warrior
USS John F Kennedy (CVA-67)
USS Mississippi (CGN-40)
Owner, 571-1
eschling
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby njh621 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:24 am

To put things into perspective, this is a recent image from 1-9. The standing structure is the Hard HF antenna silo.

-Nick Halliday
Titan II Historian/
Electrical Engineer ("In training")
AAFM Member SA086
njh621
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby eschling on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:47 pm

A monument in the Arizona desert to allTitaneers and a job well done.
USS Mississippi (CGN-40)
Owner, 571-1
eschling
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:59 pm

Ed, is this your long-lost brother?: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sheishine/14021819661/
Bad Sam
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby eschling on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:56 am

Mom? Is that you? I've missed you so much. :D
USS Mississippi (CGN-40)
Owner, 571-1
eschling
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:57 am

Old Eric is now in The NEW YORKER: http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk ... st-popular

OK, not "now"; pub date is Jan 17, 2014. It was linked by Instapundit today: http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/198113/#respond (comment page)
Bad Sam
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby SSgt Tom on Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:26 am

I see that there is a thread in the Missile Coffee House SECTION titled "New Book", same topic so I will post my same comment here also:

I bought the book recently (October 2015) through Amazon book vendors, new, at a fraction of the new price. It's very good and very detailed in what I have read so far. I didn't start at the beginning; am hopping around, but am focused on the Damascus incident in particular, which fills half of the book.

I've been inactive from the Forum for quite a while.

Happy Veterans Day to all of you, ahead of time. I will be attending the 2nd annual Veteran's Tribute at the Warminster PA Centrifuge building November 10th at 7 pm. This is the site of the former Warminster Naval Air Development Center NADC. We have a "Southeastern PA Cold War Historical Society" talks there about 6 times a years; very interesting presentations! The original 7 trained there since I believe there were only 2 centrifuges in the U.S. set up for human studies.

I saw Cmdr. Scott Carpenter of the original 7 astronauts there a couple years ago when the centrifuge building was re-dedicated as a social meeting place. He passed away not too long after that. It was good to see a true American hero in person.
Tom B. former SAC Team Chief
Parka pocket items – crescent wrench, flashlight, ear plugs, black USGov pens, LF ladder bolts, screwdrivers, gloves, rag.
Minot 91st SMW
91st MIMS-EMT Sept. 1971 - Nov. 1974
Glory Trips 14 GM & 15 GM - April to June 1972
SSgt Tom
2 RVs
2 RVs

Previous

Return to Titan II