WTF? MISSILE AWAY!!!

For general discussion with your fellow Peacekeeper crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Based at: F.E. Warren AFB, WY and operational from 30 Dec 88 to Sep 05. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

WTF? MISSILE AWAY!!!

Postby Weapons Loader on Fri May 09, 2008 4:41 am

I read in a book about the history of SAC that sometine in the late 80s - early 90s a Peacekeeper settled a few inches farther down into its silo/canister and somehow it generated a MISSILE AWAY indication in the capsule. What was the reaction of the crew? Could they tell right off the bat that the missile was still in its LF, or did they have to politely ask someone topside to see if anything unusually bright and loud was streaking through the air?
Anthony Spencer, (M)Sgt, USAF
23 AMXS / 74 Aircraft Maintenance Unit
Moody AFB, GA
Weapons Loader
2 RVs
2 RVs

Re: WTF? MISSILE AWAY!!!

Postby hockey85 on Fri May 09, 2008 6:00 pm

There are indications other than MSLA that let the crew know a missile has left the silo, ie security sensors and other indications. There are fault procedures if MSLA pops up out of the blue, and if that is the only indication by itself, its more than likely something happened at the LF and it really isnt launching or something went wrong with the MSLA indicator drawer in the parent LCC giving false data. I bet it would be a little tense though until the situation was under control.

Cory
PAX ORBIS PER ARMA AERIA
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby D Preidis on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:41 pm

I doubt the Missile Away indicator was much different in PK than in all the others.

A tone is generated and sent through a wire as part of a cable that attaches to the underside of the missile.

When the missile rises about six inches the cable separates, the tone is lost and the Missile Away light illuminates on the console at the LCC.

Many things could go wrong that could precipitate a loss of tone, not just a launch.
381st SMW - Titan II BMAT, Instructor Shop
321st SMW - MMII CDB (Deuce) Ops
321st SMW/321st OMMS Mechanical Branch Chief
42nd Air Division Safety
Defense Nuclear Agency - Stockpile Operations
D Preidis
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby MJohnson on Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:32 am

I was on the first team dispatched on this. What actually happened was on the bottom of the first stage, the glue that bonds the skirt failed and the missile settled a few inches. The missile umbilical group (MUG) is part of the canister and is designed to snap back with upward movement. Because this connector is tight against the missile the downward movement crushed the MUG. All of the connections to the missile were severed generating the missile away which is a continuity loop through the MUG to the guidance set.
Mark Johnson
90SMW 86-06
EMT -QA -WJC -TEB
MJohnson

Postby Capt. Bill on Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:56 am

Old Minuteman guy here but I was just looking through the other posts. In Minuteman I I understand the Missile Away light also came on when the umblical separated. I don't think we would really have worried about without seeing a Launch Enabled and Armed light also. I seem to remember there was one at Minot that a Missile Away that was on or would come on sporadically.
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kram on Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:37 pm

Old Minuteman guy here too, searching through the annals. I'd forgotten this until I read this post, but in our WS (ILCS), it wasn't uncommon to get random "Missile Away" lights during a T/S or other meterological activity. Our DDG had both a "Missile Away" test button, and a "Reset" button. I'd have to dig out the T.O. to see if this is covered in fault procedures - for some reason, I am thinking it was?
Kram
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby shadow2100 on Tue May 29, 2012 1:42 am

Isnt there safe guards on all the missile systems that prevent a accidental launch from happening.
"The minuteman keeps the Bear and the Dragon away"
shadow2100
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby TerrorOfTucson on Tue May 29, 2012 2:27 am

Kram, I saw that in SSAS, within the first few months on crew, IIRC. TStorms, lightning strikes can cause odd indications. Was really glad to see it reset.

Bad Sam
Bad Sam
220 TII alerts under Arizona ('70-75)
107 (36s & 24s) MMM alerts under Missouri ('75-78)
TerrorOfTucson
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby shadow2100 on Wed May 30, 2012 9:03 am

You would think technology we have weather,water or smelly
Hippies would not trigger a false missile gone
"The minuteman keeps the Bear and the Dragon away"
shadow2100
2 RVs
2 RVs

Return to Peacekeeper