LGM-118A and LGM-30G combined operations within 400 SMS

For general discussion with your fellow Peacekeeper crewdogs, maintainers and cops. Based at: F.E. Warren AFB, WY and operational from 30 Dec 88 to Sep 05. Share your stories and meet up with an old friend.

LGM-118A and LGM-30G combined operations within 400 SMS

Postby Weapons Loader on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:38 pm

During the overlap c.Dec 1986-c.Apr 1988 in the 400 SMS with both Peacekeepers and Minuteman IIIs operational, how did things work? Did Peacekeeper LCCs and LFs have to shunted off from the rest of the squadron in some way? I assume Minuteman III and Peacekeeper crews couldn't control/monitor each others missiles except for the most basic of commands and statuses.
Anthony Spencer, (M)Sgt, USAF
23 AMXS / 74 Aircraft Maintenance Unit
Moody AFB, GA
Weapons Loader
2 RVs
2 RVs

Re: LGM-118A and LGM-30G combined operations within 400 SMS

Postby Capt. Bill on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Weapons Loader wrote:During the overlap c.Dec 1986-c.Apr 1988 in the 400 SMS with both Peacekeepers and Minuteman IIIs operational, how did things work? Did Peacekeeper LCCs and LFs have to shunted off from the rest of the squadron in some way? I assume Minuteman III and Peacekeeper crews couldn't control/monitor each others missiles except for the most basic of commands and statuses.

I can't answer the question but I went through the transition at Minot from MM I to MM III 1970 to 1971 which included the MOD. Been to long to remember the details but you didn't notice it in MM I since you couldn't monitor another flight's missiles anyway. I assume as the MOD flights came on line you could monitor them but not any still active MM I flights. Can't answer the question as to whether or not inhibit and launch votes were retransmitted from one system to another. Crew members were not given a lot of technical information, just follow EWO procedures and turn the keys.

I just remember that the hard part was forgetting all the old MM I stuff that had been ingrained me for two years.
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LGM-118A and LGM-30G combined operations within 400 SMS

Postby MJohnson on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:54 am

The squadron was divided into two mini-squads with links in the iboxes being removed or put back as birds were converted one or more at a time. It was done very similar to how we do/did SELM/SELP. LCCs were configured two PK till they reached the half way point a third converted till all LF were complete then the last two LCC were finished.
Mark Johnson
90SMW 86-06
EMT -QA -WJC -TEB
MJohnson

Return to Peacekeeper