REACT-A vs. REACT-B

For general discussion about almost anything missiles. Come on in, pull up a chair and let's talk about any missile related matters and missile news not covered in other forums.

REACT-A vs. REACT-B

Postby keskiyo on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:39 am

Hey folks,

Just found out recently I'll be going to FE Warren next year once I finish the training gauntlet (I'm a reclass from CSO training.) Silly question, but I couldn't find an answer:

What's the difference between REACT-A (which, according to my RIP, is what I'll be going to train for next year) and the REACT-B mentioned elsewhere around here?

Thanks!
keskiyo
3 RVs
3 RVs

Re: REACT-A vs. REACT-B

Postby ICBMGuy on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:29 am

Without spending too much time discussing the two types of systems, REACT-A is based off the old Command Data Buffer (CDB) system where as REACT-B was based off the Deuce system. CDB (now REACT-A ) operates on a hardened underground cable system (HICS). Whereas the Deuce system also used a radio system to get their commands to the missile. Deuce has recently been "retired" and the REACT-A system is the only system being used at all three missile wings. Both systems had their advantages/disadvantages depending on who you talk to. One obvious difference was that Deuce had MUCH LARGER capsules.

Best of luck to you on your assignment!! All the wings have OUTSTANDING people. Do your best, study hard, take pride in your job, and you will do fine!!!

ICBMGuy

My Deuce friends are more than welcome to expand upon this since I was a CDB guy back in the day!!! 8)
ICBMGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Capt. Bill on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:24 am

ICBMGuy wrote:Without spending too much time discussing the two types of systems, REACT-A is based off the old Command Data Buffer (CDB) system where as REACT-B was based off the Deuce system. CDB (now REACT-A ) operates on a hardened underground cable system (HICS). Whereas the Deuce system also used a radio system to get their commands to the missile. Deuce has recently been "retired" and the REACT-A system is the only system being used at all three missile wings. Both systems had their advantages/disadvantages depending on who you talk to. One obvious difference was that Deuce had MUCH LARGER capsules.

Best of luck to you on your assignment!! All the wings have OUTSTANDING people. Do your best, study hard, take pride in your job, and you will do fine!!!

ICBMGuy

My Deuce friends are more than welcome to expand upon this since I was a CDB guy back in the day!!! 8)

What did hardened underground cable system mean? Did they replace/upgrade all the cables between LCCs and LFs? I seem to remember when the wings were built the cables were simply buried wire cables and sometimes farmers would cut them. When I left Minot in 1972 CDB was something that was going to be the next upgrade after the Mod. We understood it would let the crews change targeting info from the LCC.
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nukesguy on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:03 am

keskiyo wrote:Hey folks,

Just found out recently I'll be going to FE Warren next year once I finish the training gauntlet (I'm a reclass from CSO training.) Silly question, but I couldn't find an answer:

What's the difference between REACT-A (which, according to my RIP, is what I'll be going to train for next year) and the REACT-B mentioned elsewhere around here?

Thanks!

The "B" guys were smarter! :) Just kidding. REACT-B was the "Deuce" system, AKA the "Cadillac of Weapon Systems." (hey, I got the patch that says that, so it must be true!). I was an instructor/evaluator for "classic" Deuce and REACT-B. The major difference between REACT-A and REACT-B was the interface with the operator (i.e, numerical or alphanumeric codes that represented what the status of the weapon system was at any given moment), physical differences between capsules as well as support rooms, and the addition of a radio system for Deuce that supplemented the HICS, or Hardened Intersite Cable system.

I guess the bottom line difference between REACT-A and REACT -B is that REACT-A exists, while REACT-B no longer does. That simplifies things!!

nukesguy
nukesguy
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby hockey85 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:26 am

My favorite quote I have seen from Deuce guys refering to REACT-A is, "REACT-A: So easy, a caveman could do it!" :shock:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
hockey85
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby D Preidis on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:44 pm

wblakeney wrote:What did hardened underground cable system mean? Did they replace/upgrade all the cables between LCCs and LFs? I seem to remember when the wings were built the cables were simply buried wire cables and sometimes farmers would cut them. When I left Minot in 1972 CDB was something that was going to be the next upgrade after the Mod. We understood it would let the crews change targeting info from the LCC.

All the cable systems were not just buried wires. The actual wiring was encased in a tube that was kept pressurized with air from compressors at the LCFs. If a cable was cut or something intruded into the casing there would be a cable pressure alarm.

Also, the A systems used redundant cables that ran to the LFs so if one was cut or destroyed there were others to keep connectivity.

The B system used a single cable run from the controlling LCC to each LF and from LCC to LCC, and then a Medium Frequency Radio was used as the backup. The problem with the MF Radio was when thunderstorms rolled through the missile field the Deucers were kept up sweating LF Down, LFDN, printouts. When one capsule was down for maintenance there was a cable break within the squadron and then some of the LCCs could only see some LFs via radio. Thus, when the radio was interfered with by the weather capsules would see the LFDN print and have to respond to ensure the missile was seen by the others. A 328 printout (UHF Mode) was a career killer if it was determiined there was a way to stop it from happening.

The Deuce capsules were roomy but my old Titan II LCCs were the best: Bedrooms, showers and a full kitchen!
381st SMW - Titan II BMAT, Instructor Shop
321st SMW - MMII CDB (Deuce) Ops
321st SMW/321st OMMS Mechanical Branch Chief
42nd Air Division Safety
Defense Nuclear Agency - Stockpile Operations
D Preidis
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Tim on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:49 pm

So my old ILCS system would have evolved to REACT-A? During the 1980s, was the cable system pressurized? I remember seeing exposed cabling along some creek bed, pertruding from the embankment and was told that was a comm cable.

Tim, 490th SMS, Malmstrom 1981-1985
Tim
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Capt. Bill on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:16 pm

hockey85 wrote:My favorite quote I have seen from Deuce guys refering to REACT-A is, "REACT-A: So easy, a caveman could do it!" :shock:

Minuteman I was real easy. Used the Program Control Panel to select Target 1 or Target 2 for each LF. Flipped the enable switch for each LF according to the CTLS, then turned keys.
MM I, DMCCC 741st, 742nd SMS Oct 69 - Oct 71 3 HQs and a Select Crew rating
MM III DMCCC, 742nd SMS Oct 71 - Feb 72
MM III MCCC, 742nd SMS Feb 72 - Aug 72
GT 07,08,09GM - Nov 1971 (key turned all three)
Capt. Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wally on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:35 pm

Tim wrote:So my old ILCS system would have evolved to REACT-A? During the 1980s, was the cable system pressurized? I remember seeing exposed cabling along some creek bed, pertruding from the embankment and was told that was a comm cable.

Tim, 490th SMS, Malmstrom 1981-1985

Yep. I'm a very recent former Farsider, and the ILCS system is now REACT-A. Most everything else is still the same, they've updated the ECS in the last couple of years, and Lima still stinks.

Cable system has always been pressurized. If the cable was exposed, that's a bad thing, I'm sure they re-routed it to keep it buried.
wally
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Tim on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:50 pm

Thank you, Wally. I was Lima's Flight Deputy for a year prior to upgrading to MCCC and hung around for another year until going to Kilo. Lima still stinks? Nice to know that some things don't change over time. :lol:

I believe that the reason that I saw the comm cables exposed was due to major flooding caused my a late spring snow "dump" followed by the usual spring rains. Bridges and roads were washed out causing 490the crews to divert north towards Fort Benton to make it in to Malmstrom. This went on for at least a month, as best as I can recall. This also caused major flooding of the numerous creek beds which probably led to the embankments washing away and exposing cables. I sure that the Comm guys were on it! Unless what I saw was commercial cabling!

Tim, 490th SMS, Malmstrom, 1981-1985
Tim
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby SAC Killer on Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:21 am

hockey85 wrote:My favorite quote I have seen from Deuce guys refering to REACT-A is, "REACT-A: So easy, a caveman could do it!" :shock:

In war, easy can mean the difference.

"Fire and forget." A way of life for MCCMs, a dream for fighter pilots.

"Keep it simple, stupid." Many a commanding general has forgotten this.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby banjodog on Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:27 am

wblakeney wrote:What did hardened underground cable system mean? Did they replace/upgrade all the cables between LCCs and LFs?

Far as I know, today's HICS is the very same copper wire network put in the ground back in 196x. HICS = hardened intersite cable system.
341 SMW '87-'94
EMT shop '91-'94 (ILCS)
banjodog
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby J Davis on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:28 am

After the MF Radio mod in the late 80's, RORs seemed to be less. MF Radio Checkout procedures were simplified. Prior to the mod, we used a 3000 watt resistor at the LCC and a 1500 watt resistor at the LF while checking output (transmission). T-storms did still cause problems, as I remember it was mostly MSR 554 "Radio Out of Sync" status usually corrected by running "RAD SYNC" command to reporting LFs. When a LCC was down for extended periods such as Rivet Mile, isolation plugs and jumpers could/would be installed in the J-Box to create a "cable bridge." Also, commands were slower by radio, particularly RDC...crews never seemed happy with RDC via radio when I was in Job.

D Preidis--excellent description of HICS & MF Radio.
Grand Forks 1986-2000
321 OMMS-- EMT
321 SMW-- Team Training / Job Control / QA
447 MS-- EMT Scheduler (446/447/448)
321 MXS-- EMT Scheduler / Site Supervision
791 MXS-- QRM / Production / Mnx Supervision
Fairchild 2000-2005
2 BW / 2SS-- SWM / QA
J Davis
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Macula on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:50 am

Deuce has recently been "retired"

You mean "Deuce is DEAD!!!!"

And yes, I'm doing my Deuce is dead dance. :)
Macula

Return to Missile Coffee House