And the beat goes on...

For general discussion about almost anything missiles. Come on in, pull up a chair and let's talk about any missile related matters and missile news not covered in other forums.

Re: And the beat goes on...

Postby Steven Mayne on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:33 pm

Maybe this is what that collection of prolific posters were talking about in here awhile ago with the barrage of comments.
The report doesn't just say the Nuclear Enterprise is in trouble, it says there's not even a Nuclear Enterprise. Ouch!
Steven Mayne

Postby MajorG1000 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:09 am

I talked with a former Navy Nuclear technician who served aboard Boomers in the past 10 years. He said that the Navy is having the same problems with leadership as the Air Force is exhibiting. Perhaps the military (all branches) have concentrated too much and too long on officers receiving a Master's Degree such as an MBA that has little impact on day to day operations. Perhaps more and better Professional Development is a better answer. I took ACSC by Seminar and it was infinately easier to do and I learned more than when I took SOS by correspondence. Imagine what the "in residence" guys are presented with and how much more they bring back to the field.
This Navy fellow also told me how many light years the Navy is ahead of the Air Force with incentive pay for anyone involved with nuclear operations...and the longer you stay, the more you are valued...and paid for your WS expertise, in the form of bonuses. One thing that seemed to piss the Navy folks off was six months at sea in a Boomer while only spend one week on actual "Alert Status". The rest, of course as we all know is training and evaluation.
CDB-63 742 SMS DMCCC/MCCC 1980 - 1983
ACP Qualified 1983
91 DOTI Dual Qualified 1983 - 1984
91 SMW Staff 1985
4 ACCS/ALCS 1986
44 SMW/DCM Staff 1986-1988
321 Alerts/15 Standboard Evaluations
MajorG1000
4 RVs
4 RVs

Postby keskiyo on Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:04 am

MajorG1000 wrote:This Navy fellow also told me how many light years the Navy is ahead of the Air Force with incentive pay for anyone involved with nuclear operations...and the longer you stay, the more you are valued...and paid for your WS expertise, in the form of bonuses.

This is actually something the FIP found and has been trying to improve on... in the flying world and in the Navy (the FIP team brought in bomber and Navy guys in for the added perspective) hours logged flying, or time spent on patrol, is considered by the community to be a positive thing. One thing I heard was that in the Navy, once you've been on a certain number of patrols, your SSBN patrol pin is upgraded to a gold design - which is regarded as a major milestone, and comes with a hefty bump in status and respect in the SSBN community.

Compare that to ICBMs, where time spent on alert is considered something to be avoided... reinforced by the general understanding by crewmembers that if you did well at the job, you'd be rewarded by spending less time on alert.
keskiyo
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Batman on Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:45 pm

Steven Mayne wrote:Maybe this is what that collection of prolific posters were talking about in here awhile ago with the barrage of comments.
The report doesn't just say the Nuclear Enterprise is in trouble, it says there's not even a Nuclear Enterprise. Ouch!

This whole "Enterprise" thing is bogus anyway from the git-go IMO, along with the attendant "Portfolio" subterfuge. It's from a bunch of SES Appointees in the Pentagon playing dangerous mind games with the COCOMs. Sorry boys and girls, we re NOT DoD, Inc. We have no tangible product to sell. Save the cute aphorisms for your resume. As I used to tell them: This is grownup work.
Bill
Retired IA Raconteur
44 MIMS - CTT 311 69-72
3362 IS (Stateside tour) 72-74
741 SMS HO-TEL Flight 74-77
Pentagon (5E413) - 9-11-01
Batman
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby keskiyo on Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:04 am

The "nuclear enterprise" extends beyond the DoD, though... don't forget the guys/girls at the DoE who give us our bombs.
keskiyo
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Batman on Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:15 pm

keskiyo wrote:The "nuclear enterprise" extends beyond the DoD, though... don't forget the guys/girls at the DoE who give us our bombs.

Even including the DOE Production Complex, It's still not a "business enterprise." It's still pretend resume padding jargon in the C Suite, IMO.
Bill
Retired IA Raconteur
44 MIMS - CTT 311 69-72
3362 IS (Stateside tour) 72-74
741 SMS HO-TEL Flight 74-77
Pentagon (5E413) - 9-11-01
Batman
3 RVs
3 RVs

Previous

Return to Missile Coffee House