Space Badge... ugh, it's official!

For general discussion about almost anything missiles. Come on in, pull up a chair and let's talk about any missile related matters and missile news not covered in other forums.

Space Badge... ugh, it's official!

Postby jberne on Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:23 pm

TO: ALL MAJCOM COMMANDERS

SUBJ: AUTHORIZATION TO WEAR THE SPACE BADGE

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: REQUEST YOU IMMEDIATELY RETRANSMIT THIS MESSAGE TO YOUR MAJCOM, NAF, CENTER, WING, GROUP AND SQUADRON COMMANDERS FOR FURTHER DISSEMINATION TO ALL CREDENTIALED SPACE PROFESSIONALS (CSP)

1. AFSPC/CC, THE SPACE PROFESSIONAL FUNCTIONAL AUTHORITY (SPFA), HAS APPROVED AWARD OF THE SPACE BADGE TO THE CSP LISTED BELOW AT THE LEVEL INDICATED. AWARD OF THIS BADGE MUST BE APPROVED BY THE SPFA OR HIS DESIGNATED REPRESENTATIVE.

2. CAREER FIELDS AFFECTED: OFFICERS: ALL CORE 13SX, AND 61XX, 62XX, 63XX WHO HAVE PERFORMED OR ARE CURRENTLY PERFORMING SPACE/ICBM ACQUSITION ACTIVITIES; ENLISTED: ALL CORE 1C6X1. IN ADDITION, 1N0XX, 1N2XX, 1N5XX, 3C1XX WHO HAVE SERVED IN OR ARE CURRENTLY SERVING IN: 11 SWS, 2 SWS, 3 SPSS, 3 SCS, 4 SPCS, 4 SOPS, 4 SPSS, 5SWS, 5 SPSS, 76 SPCS, 18 IS (AND DETS) AND THE NATIONAL RECONNAISSANCE OFFICE.

3. EFFECTIVE WEAR DATE FOR THE SPACE BADGE IS 1 NOV 05. FINAL DATE FOR CSP WEAR OF THE SPACE AND MISSILE BADGE AND THE MISSILE BADGE WITH OPERATIONS DESIGNATOR IS 28 FEB 06. MANDATORY WEAR OF THE SPACE BADGE IS 1 MAR 06. WE ANTICIPATE METAL VERSIONS OF THE SPACE BADGE WILL BE AVAILABLE VIA MILITARY CLOTHING SALES STORES IN DECEMBER 05; EMBROIDERED VERSIONS ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE THROUGH COMMERCIAL VENDORS. CSP MUST ENSURE EMBROIDERED VERSIONS ACQUIRED VIA COMMERCIAL VENDORS ARE THE APPROVED DESIGN. FOR DETAILS ON THE APPROVED DESIGN REFER TO THE HQ AFSPC SPACE PROFESSIONAL MANAGEMENT OFFICE (SPMO) WEBSITE: HTTP://WWW.PETERSON.AF.MIL/SPACEPRO/ OR HTTPS://HALFWAY.PETERSON.AF.MIL/SPACEPRO/

4. FORMER CSP (18XX/20XX/13SX/61SX/62EX/63AX/1C6XX) WHO WERE AWARDED THE SPACE AND MISSILE BADGE AND THE MISSILE BADGE WITH OPERATIONS DESIGNATOR AND RETRAINED INTO ANOTHER AFSC ARE AUTHORIZED TO WEAR THOSE BADGES UNTIL RETIREMENT OR SEPARATION.

5. BADGE AWARD FOR AIR RESERVE COMPONENT PERSONNEL WILL BE ADDRESSED SEPARATELY.

6. A CHANGE TO AFI 36-2903 IS PENDING. IN THE INTERIM, USE THE FOLLOWING GUIDELINES FOR WEAR OF THE SPACE BADGE:

A. WEAR OF THE SPACE BADGE IS MANDATORY. THE NEW SPACE BADGE REPLACES THE SPACE AND MISSILE BADGE AND THE MISSILE BADGE WITH OPERATIONS DESIGNATOR.

B. 6X OFFICERS MAY WEAR THE ACQUISITION AND FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT BADGE WITH THE SPACE BADGE.

C. THE SPACE BADGE TAKES PRECEDENCE OVER ALL OCCUPATIONAL BADGES AND AERONAUTICAL BADGES IF THE RATED OFFICER IS PERFORMING SPACE DUTIES.

7. AWARD OF THE BASIC BADGE REQUIRES: COMPLETION OF SPACE 100, TRAINING AND CERTIFICATION REQUIRED BY DUTY POSITION (COMBAT MISSION READY OR EQUIVALENT), ONE YEAR OF SPACE DUTY FROM THE BEGINNING OF SPACE 100, CAREER DEVELOPMENT COURSE COMPLETION (ENLISTED ONLY) AND COMPLETION OF A CSP CERTIFICATION BRIEFING. THE SPMO WILL PROVIDE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE CERTIFICATION BRIEFING VIA SEPARATE DOCUMENT. UNITS MUST INFORM THE SPMO WHEN INDIVIDUALS COMPLETE ALL BASIC BADGE REQUIREMENTS TO ENSURE THE INFORMATION IS UPDATED IN THE SPACE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT DATABASE (SPDD).

8. THE SPMO WILL TRACK CSP ELIGIBILITY FOR SENIOR AND COMMAND BADGES VIA THE SPDD AND PROVIDE MONTHLY UPDATES TO THE CSP COMMUNITY. BADGE ELIGIBILITY PARALLELS SPACE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT CERTIFICATION LEVELS. THE SPMO UPDATE CONSTITUTES AUTHORIZATION TO WEAR THE BADGE LEVEL INDICATED.

9. HQ AFSPC/MSPAX POCS ARE: MAJOR ANITA FEUGATE OPPERMAN, DSN 692-7796, MSGT GARY WASHINGTON, DSN 692-3236, MR. DOUG ANDING, DSN 692-2427, AND MR. MIKE REINHARD, DSN 692-3236.

10. THE FOLLOWING CSP ARE AWARDED THE BASIC SPACE BADGE:

11. THE FOLLOWING CSP ARE AWARDED THE SENIOR SPACE BADGE:

12. THE FOLLOWING CSP ARE AWARDED THE COMMAND SPACE BADGE:

UNCLASSIFIED
:x
-J
jberne

Postby Spank on Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:19 pm

I'm so happy that I will be going on terminal in February.

Woo-Hoo! I never have to wear the Gay Space Wings! La-la-la-la. I get to retire a MISSILEER! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Oops...uh...did I say that out loud?
Spank
2 RVs
2 RVs

Rest in Peace

Postby olddeuce on Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:30 pm

Rest in Peace Missile Ops Badge!

Now, who do we call in AFSPC to start a campaign for a badge that represents the missile operations career field? We could call it the.... oh I don't know, Missile Ops Badge.

:wink:
-olddeuce
olddeuce

I love being retired

Postby Busdriver on Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:27 pm

I get to wear an actual Missile Badge...woop!
ILCS 129...a living legend in my own mind.
Busdriver
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby Major Max on Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:50 pm

I actually have a guy (space geek) in the office who is wearing the new badge already.

The other people in the office, who know I am against the whole thing, are suggesting that we practice the flight attendant speech and movements because the "thing" looks like something Delta would make their attendants wear.

I can see it now, "in case of an emergency please exit to the rear of the capsule, put on your own oxygen mask and then assist your deputy."

I'm not as lucky as Spank. I have to actually wear the "thing" for 3 or 4 months before I retire. Rest assured when I'm hanging out around the American Legion Hall I'll have my pocket rocket back on.

Cheers, Major Max
Missileer, "MV400"
Major Max

Postby Egon on Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:51 pm

I've seen quite a few space weenies and engineering/Acq types giddily wearing their new 'Space Blades' around...what a bunch of pansies!

All the old head missileers are definately sticking to their guns and wearing our hard-earned pocket rockets til the bitter end...

A nice trick that has sprung up in defiance is on your crew bag cloth name patch: Get the missile badge sewn on in the same color as your background. For example, 490MS colors are Black background, Gold trim. Ask Mardon, or whomever is making the tag to make the missile badge also in black. Nice effect, excellent way to rebel in a passive-aggressive manner.
MAFB-490MS 99-02
Egon

New SPACE badge

Postby MizTgr on Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:30 pm

The only way to keep your missile badge is to leave the career field. A sad commentary
MizTgr

Postby jberne on Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:42 am

Sad but true.

In space badge news: There's a new official photo of Gen Lance Lord out featuring the new space badge.

I shall forever be embarrassed to be seen wearing mine. The worst part is going to be getting questions from people outside the career field. Hey, what kind of spaceship do you fly?

:oops:
-J
jberne

Great things about a real Missile Badge

Postby Busdriver on Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:58 am

One of the most fun stories I have about the badge is when I and a retired one star (who had flown heavies when active) were having a "conversation" about career fields.

When I finally got fed up with it, I looked him in the eye and told him "sir, my planes always flew the right way" and then flipped him the bird.

He bought me a nice glass of Scotch after that!
ILCS 129...a living legend in my own mind.
Busdriver
2 RVs
2 RVs

GSB

Postby mprdude on Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:05 am

A badge won't stop be from bleeding missiles and hating everything space. Success in space is minimum 50% over budget,75% behind schedules and giving the operators something that doesn't work. Bring on the paperwork. I will wear the badge upside down since the reg isn't specific and thats only after I get counseled to take off my missile badge which I earned underground for almost a year. Oh, and when the badge appears the name will read MUD. Missileer Under Duress.
mprdude

Postby blade on Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:26 am

I say get over it. This is what happens when career fields combine and everyone gets a space badge (even if they never pulled a space ops tour) and not everyone gets a "pocket rocket". It was bound to happen sooner or later.
blade

Missile Badge Dead

Postby mprdude on Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:03 pm

Dudes. One of our brothers at STRAT had a great idea. He had Marden put the missile badge on his Gay Space Badge in Black. It is visible if you look closely. I am going to put mine on upside down since the picture in the reg doesn't specifically prescribe how it must be worn. In addition, my new name will be M.U.D. Missileer Under Duress.
Hope you all are working on your continuing ed. A last bunch of bull from the AQ world. Maybe if they would do what they actually say with regard to cost, schedule and performance we could keep some of the people who are going to be forced out to pay for systems that don't perform as designed, cost ten times what they should, and are never finished on time. Great career field acquisitions. Get on a project, say you turned it around in your OPR and get the hell out before results are actually supposed to happen.
One final note we are progressively being cast aside at STRAT. Consider carefully any desire to come to Omaha.
mprdude

Postby CAG-16 on Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:53 am

Classic--spaaaace geeks parading around with the badge. True story: a spaaaace badge wearing senior officer tried to bullshit an ACSC class a while back, insisting that JDAM was a "GPS-guided weapon", and tried to show how important GPS was as a "weapon system". Unfortunately, a colleague of mine, B-1 WSO with a ton of OEF, OIF missions didn't buy the BS emanating from the officer in question.
"No colonel, JDAM is an inertially guided, GPS enhanced weapon" The point is that the spaaaace officer was trying tout importance in front of a tough audience--and was addressed accordingly.

"GPS a weapon system"--I don't think so, Sally.

We are being cast aside at USSTRATCOM, though the situation may be improving. Several 13S leaders have arrived, and they're trying to make it better. The next VE board and promotion boards will tell a great deal. To be sure, it's been tough going for the 13S community there.

It may suck, but hey--it sucked at Ploesti, and Schweinfurt, over Chosin, and down Thud Ridge. But if those guys could survive, so can we.
CAG-16

Postby Cancellier on Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:44 pm

Yea verily my brother!

The only weapon system in Air Force Space Command is WS-133 Minutman III!

If you can't kill people with it (directly), it ain't a weapon!

I wish people on the space side of the house would realize that at the present time ALL of our space-based capability is inherently support in nature.

I know I was pretty pissed when I found out that the GPS dudes got a combat readiness medal for Desert Storm. What combat were they ready for? De-orbiting a GPS bird on someones head?
Mike

Deuce 146
321 MW - 1993 - 1997
TOP HAND - 1997 - 2000
PACOM Nuke Guy - 2009
Cancellier

Look to the bright side

Postby AC Hauswald on Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:21 am

Congratulations, people. This is the most negative thread I have ever had the displeasure to read! Have any of you posting here really read it top to bottom? It is spirally downward with no recovery method in sight. Your chosen career field cannot be that dismal...unless of course you are contributing to making it that way.

Young people-non military-read this. They are looking toward the future with dreams and plans for themselves, this country, and the world. If I were 17 years old again and read this-I would bolt anwhere but the USAF Missle Command. Fortunately, when I was 17, all I saw was a USAF recruiter showing us a film of Snark launches at high school career day. That put the hook in me, just like a more positive attitude from all you thread contributers here can do if you want to.

Bottom Line-If you are so negative about your career and it's future, get out. Make room for someone that will move the Space Command forward.
If not, quit whining, suck it up and drive on!

AC Hauswald
Houston, Texas, USA
A1C-USAF 1961-1965 (Mace B)
SGM-USA(R) 1978-2002 Sr. Communications Sergeant
AC Hauswald-A1C
Mace-B, Lowry AFB, 1961-1965
GEMS Guidance Equipment Maintenance Section
AAFM member A1535
AC Hauswald
2 RVs
2 RVs

Next